Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hydraulic Spring Compressors

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:41 am

As I do quite a few front coil spring/damper refurbs I am thinking I should invest in one of the free-standing hydraulic coil spring compressors.
The market seems full of them and I'm wondering if anyone already has one and can offer any advice on make, tonnage, price point etc.
This will be used maybe half a dozen time in a year at the most so I don't need a mega-built one but I also don't want to go too cheap and get one that breaks after a couple of uses.
Potentially, once people find out I have one I may find it is used more often as well.
Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:00 pm

You're an engineer: build one!

edit.jpg
edit.jpg (256.46 KiB) Viewed 171 times

I say that quite sincerely. A friend of mine is a mechanic in a garage and apparently they struggled like buggery with a Z4 while having proper kit to use (tho I don't know exactly what.) My lash up works a treat. Sometimes requires a couple of goes to get it lined up for such little springs. E46 was straightforward tho. Got an X5 to do which shouldn't worry it.

Mine is very much a lash up from scrap. If I was redoing it I'd have tubes around the threaded rod on the moving section.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot