Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Wishbone Bushes Perishing

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:21 pm

Hi all,

Been experiencing steering issues with the Z4 which I understand are quite common after doing a lot of research. On my non RFTs, at higher speeds and particularly on smooth roads the steering goes light and requires small corrections to keep in a straight line as the wheel seems prone to making its own small adjustments left and right.

I've just had an inspection done which has pointed out "front wishbone bushes perishing" among other things for me to tackle. Research has shown these bushes to be a common problem and after replacement this resolves the issue I am having.

Please could someone confirm I've bought the right parts to fit? These are the "lollipops" with the bushes already in?

What other tools will I need to change these?

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/lemfo ... -618110295

Thank you!

Chengy

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:25 pm

That looks correct :thumbsup:

Regarding tools I have not done it myself but I think the only tricky part is sliding the bush on/off the control arm with might require some banging or clever use of a clamp. Not sure if alignment is needed afterwards :?
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:54 pm

axelleveau wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:25 pm That looks correct :thumbsup:

Regarding tools I have not done it myself but I think the only tricky part is sliding the bush on/off the control arm with might require some banging or clever use of a clamp. Not sure if alignment is needed afterwards :?
I would definitely suggest an alignment yes.
The old bushes will have allowed the geometry to change and you have no idea what state they were in last time it was aligned, so get it done to be certain
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:07 pm

Thanks all - yes will definitely get an alignment afterwards.

Yes it's the removal of the existing bush which could be problematic - I think I read people using some sort of puller to remove the existing bushes? Found in a different thread: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/26033528099?iid=111309893692

Combined with a rubber mallet to put the new bushes on, anything else I need do you think?

Cheers

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:25 pm

Chengy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:07 pm Thanks all - yes will definitely get an alignment afterwards.

Yes it's the removal of the existing bush which could be problematic - I think I read people using some sort of puller to remove the existing bushes? Found in a different thread: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/26033528099?iid=111309893692

Combined with a rubber mallet to put the new bushes on, anything else I need do you think?

Cheers
Be prepared for a bit of a fight removing the old ones. I couldn't get a puller to work successfully as the end of the control arm is rounded off and the point of the puller centre just would not rest on it centrally. Ended up drilling some of the old rubber out and then levering with a pry bar and some strategically placed blocks of wood. Liberal amounts of swearing also helps greatly :D
The new ones went on easily enough with some red rubber grease, wood block and hammer :thumbsup:
I used Meyle HD 'lollipops' back in April '18 and some 26k miles ago. They have been faultless. :thumbsup:
LOLLIPOP COPY.jpg
LOLLIPOP COPY.jpg (142.95 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:47 pm

patriot66 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:25 pm
Chengy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:07 pm Thanks all - yes will definitely get an alignment afterwards.

Cheers
Be prepared for a bit of a fight removing the old ones. I couldn't get a puller to work successfully as the end of the control arm is rounded off and the point of the puller centre just would not rest on it centrally. Ended up drilling some of the old rubber out and then levering with a pry bar and some strategically placed blocks of wood. Liberal amounts of swearing also helps greatly :D
The new ones went on easily enough with some red rubber grease, wood block and hammer :thumbsup:
I used Meyle HD 'lollipops' back in April '18 and some 26k miles ago. They have been faultless. :thumbsup: LOLLIPOP COPY.jpg
Patriot,

Brilliant, thank you. Going to add a pry bar to the trolley!

Do I need to torque any bolts to a certain amount, or just make sure they're really tight?

Chengy

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:56 pm

Chengy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:47 pm
patriot66 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:25 pm

Cheers
I used Meyle HD 'lollipops' back in April '18 and some 26k miles ago. They have been faultless. :thumbsup: LOLLIPOP COPY.jpg
Patriot,

Do I need to torque any bolts to a certain amount, or just make sure they're really tight?

Chengy
Newtis says torque the two mounting bolts to 56 Nm

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:35 pm

I made a custom built puller for the lollypop bushes from some odd steel plates and threaded bar and a couple of bow ring fittings. It can be used to pull the bushes off and refit the new ones by changing the plates around.
Pic 1 shows installation
Pic 2 shows extraction
Pic 3 shows extraction
Attachments
DSC_0003S.JPG
DSC_0003S.JPG (55 KiB) Viewed 425 times
DSC_0001S.JPG
DSC_0001S.JPG (61.94 KiB) Viewed 426 times
DSC_0002S.JPG
DSC_0002S.JPG (59.19 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:52 pm

colb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:35 pm I made a custom built puller for the lollypop bushes from some odd steel plates and threaded bar and a couple of bow ring fittings. It can be used to pull the bushes off and refit the new ones by changing the plates around.
Pic 1 shows installation
Pic 2 shows extraction
Pic 3 shows extraction
Colb that's a really impressive piece of kit. If I wasn't buying the lollipops with the bushes already in then that would be perfect!

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:56 pm
Chengy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:47 pm
patriot66 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:25 pm Be prepared for a bit of a fight removing the old ones. I couldn't get a puller to work successfully as the end of the control arm is rounded off and the point of the puller centre just would not rest on it centrally. Ended up drilling some of the old rubber out and then levering with a pry bar and some strategically placed blocks of wood. Liberal amounts of swearing also helps greatly :D
Patriot,

Chengy
Newtis says torque the two mounting bolts to 56 Nm
Thanks Martin!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm

Chengy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:52 pm
colb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:35 pm I made a custom built puller for the lollypop bushes from some odd steel plates and threaded bar and a couple of bow ring fittings. It can be used to pull the bushes off and refit the new ones by changing the plates around.
Pic 1 shows installation
Pic 2 shows extraction
Pic 3 shows extraction
Colb that's a really impressive piece of kit. If I wasn't buying the lollipops with the bushes already in then that would be perfect!
That is with them already fitted. You still need something like that to push the whole thing onto the end of the wishbone more easily.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:40 pm

A few idle thoughts.

I used one of those eBay pullers when I did my E46. I used a centre punch to give the end of the wishbone spigot a little divot for the puller to sit in.

When I did the E85, I just used silicone spray to allow me to pull the old ones off and get the new ones on. I don't think I even broke out the rubber mallet.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

colb

Post by colb » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:52 pm

@Chengy my puller/pusher kit is for the complete lollypop not just the bush as enuf_zed pointed out, made it up after watching my mates at Zedshed Midlands beating and sweating removing them and fitting new ones with the use of brute force and a hammer. Used the old parts they removed to build my contraption and test it out. Not had to use it yet but its on the shelf when I do.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

plenty

Post by plenty » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 pm

Might as well replace the wishbones themselves while you're in there, if there is no evidence of this having been done recently. They're not expensive and contain two ball joints each, which wear.

Chengy

Post by Chengy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:27 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm
Chengy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:52 pm
Pic 1 shows installation
Pic 2 shows extraction
Pic 3 shows extraction
That is with them already fitted. You still need something like that to push the whole thing onto the end of the wishbone more easily.
colb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:52 pm @Chengy my puller/pusher kit is for the complete lollypop not just the bush as enuf_zed pointed out, made it up after watching my mates at Zedshed Midlands beating and sweating removing them and fitting new ones with the use of brute force and a hammer. Used the old parts they removed to build my contraption and test it out. Not had to use it yet but its on the shelf when I do.
Ah, my apologies all. Still learning, thought I could just push the new ones on and the hard part was removing the old ones! Will see if I have joy with the puller and mallet, expecting a lot of swearing this weekend..