Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any 3D printer chaps can help me ? For a fee..

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:52 pm

I’m mounting a Garmin Mini 2 dash cam…on the rear bulkhead facing rear wards…

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/731428

It’s designed to be hung from a windscreen so its articulation arm when inverted has insufficient movement to allow it to be mounted standing up.

A way around this is to mount it on a small pedestal that has its top surface at say 45 degrees to the horizontal.

Ideally the base would be flat and there would be two countersunk screw holes to allow the pedestal to be secured to the rear top deck.

Anyone wishing to take this on for me pls?

Happy to pay for a quality job..

RSVP
Attachments
DD0EC0AC-EB08-41A7-A23D-87E81596A753.jpeg
DD0EC0AC-EB08-41A7-A23D-87E81596A753.jpeg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 585 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:23 pm

Peter, perhaps a useless help. There are loads of 3D folk here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don’t know any personally. But if you were to find and contact one, I’ll gladly help with picking up and posting it for you.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

mMark

Post by mMark » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:37 pm

Sure, happy to help out. Sounds like a simple job without too much work in the design (so suitable for a one-off).
Have done some other 3D prints, check out the topic below
viewtopic.php?t=139150

Only thing is that I am based in The Netherlands, but I am happy to ship. Send me a pm if you are interested :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:42 pm

Whats on the opposite side to the lens? Do you need access to that side once fitted?
Surely a simple L shaped bracket could be made from a bit of ally plate, good double sided tape to hold the camera to the bracket and then more double sided tape to hold it to the deck.
If you dont need access to the rear.
When I had a cam for my bike I made quite a few different brackets so the camera could be mounted in different places on the bike.
Could you possibly use the mounting points for the wind deflector brackets as a point to mount a bracket to hold the camera.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:06 pm

Marcoose wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:23 pm Peter, perhaps a useless help. There are loads of 3D folk here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don’t know any personally. But if you were to find and contact one, I’ll gladly help with picking up and posting it for you.
Thank you …I’ll refer if I can’t find support closer to home
:thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:08 pm

mMark wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:37 pm Sure, happy to help out. Sounds like a simple job without too much work in the design (so suitable for a one-off).
Have done some other 3D prints, check out the topic below
viewtopic.php?t=139150

Only thing is that I am based in The Netherlands, but I am happy to ship. Send me a pm if you are interested :)
Hello thank you ..your work looks impressive..I’ll contact you shortly :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:10 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:42 pm Whats on the opposite side to the lens? Do you need access to that side once fitted?
Surely a simple L shaped bracket could be made from a bit of ally plate, good double sided tape to hold the camera to the bracket and then more double sided tape to hold it to the deck.
If you dont need access to the rear.
When I had a cam for my bike I made quite a few different brackets so the camera could be mounted in different places on the bike.
Could you possibly use the mounting points for the wind deflector brackets as a point to mount a bracket to hold the camera.
Hi there, yes I think it could be done that way…I guess I’m looking for something more ‘factory look’ hence my call…thnx for the ideas though..if I grind to a halt on more exotic solutions I’ll revert… :thumbsup:

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:53 pm

It seems mMark is a bit more experienced than me with CAD but I am happy to help as well B21 :thumbsup:
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:56 pm

axelleveau wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:53 pm It seems mMark is a bit more experienced than me with CAD but I am happy to help as well B21 :thumbsup:
Thank you, I’ve reached out to Mark, his skills eclipse my limited needs, but hopefully we can get a solution…if not I may take up your kind offer :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:27 pm

If i had a rear cam i would hide it behind the mesh wind deflector. It will see through the mesh ok, i tried with pointing my front cam through it.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:32 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:27 pm If i had a rear cam i would hide it behind the mesh wind deflector. It will see through the mesh ok, i tried with pointing my front cam through it.
Yup that’s the plan :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:50 am

I thought of using the rear centre speaker panel as the mount point, but has to be high enough to see over rear window frame.
Already have a bolt sticking up i used to film some interior shots.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:16 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:50 am I thought of using the rear centre speaker panel as the mount point, but has to be high enough to see over rear window frame.
Already have a bolt sticking up i used to film some interior shots.
Gets wet with the roof down ..the area behind the head rest is naturally protected from rain when travelling roof down.. :thumbsup:

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Whatever you come up with, please post the .mf3 and .f3d or equiv to share here or in a print library

Easy way to find printers willing to print: https://world.prusa3d.com/
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:39 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:21 pmEasy way to find printers willing to print: https://world.prusa3d.com/
1669 in the San Francisco Bay Area, of which one less than three blocks from my place.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps