Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What’s Nottingham like?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jock156

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by jock156 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 pm

Thanks :thumbsup: We are taking a back seat in her final decision. I would honestly prefer she choose the UEA as she could still live at home but I’m keeping Schtum! :oops:

IRD

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by IRD » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:18 pm

jock156 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 pm Thanks :thumbsup: We are taking a back seat in her final decision. I would honestly prefer she choose the UEA as she could still live at home but I’m keeping Schtum! :oops:
The university ranking is important and the status of the course too. Especially if she is considering post grad work and further degrees. When you get all that sorted out off she will go. Then you will start to worry about what she gets up to whilst out of your sight. In my case and my wife’s we know the things we got up to whilst we were ‘studying’. I hasten to add not together as she was in London and I was in Durham. Just a thought Jock. If she does choose UEA it might be a good idea to encourage her to live on the university campus as the first stage of gaining her independence yet close enough to home if support is needed.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by B21 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:08 am

jock156 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 pm Thanks :thumbsup: We are taking a back seat in her final decision. I would honestly prefer she choose the UEA as she could still live at home but I’m keeping Schtum! :oops:
I’d concur with IRD that being away from home is probably the most single profound step in a person’s life and I think is a, probably the key benefit of a university education…the only negative is that for a small group of people there are possible issues of loneliness and isolation which could be a factor for some socially introverted people , although I knew many introverts who found themselves through that journey.

The networks, relationships and the widest sense of education will hold create profound benefits many of which may only become apparent many years later.

Compared to many locations it’s only a short train journey / drive home if required.

My home city is Nottingham…I still have many friends there and lived on the outskirts till a few years ago.

It’s a fairly middle ranking city in terms of crime and social issues.

As was said it’s got some great parts and then some not so…

FWIW I’d try and see that she gets at least the first year in Halls of Residence as a good way to start new relationships and networking.

I hope she has a blast and enjoys a healthy study / wider experience / personal development balance..

I’m concerned at how heavily focussed some parents / students are on grades at the expense of a wider , richer experience.

It was a long time ago but my University experience was the best thing that has ever happened to me :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:04 am

B21 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:08 am It was a long time ago but my University experience was the best thing that has ever happened to me
I imagine your wife is over the moon with that statement! :poke: :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

jock156

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by jock156 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:28 am

:rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the input chaps, its really helpful :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by B21 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:04 am
B21 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:08 am It was a long time ago but my University experience was the best thing that has ever happened to me
I imagine your wife is over the moon with that statement! :poke: :D
As my best man said at our wedding "we've both walked the full length of the bar before purchasing" :thumbsup: :roll: :wink:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

JamesClements

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by JamesClements » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:02 pm

Had lots of friends at both Trent and UoN, really enjoyed all the nights out I had there. You have to be careful where you go at night but the same can be said for any city!
2006 Sapphire Black E86 3.0si | 108's, ZHP, Stubby, Eibach Springs
2007 Carbon Black E85 2.5i | 19" NAD alloys, Pilot Sport 4S, strut brace, Stubby, ZHP, Brembo 4 pots, Greenstuff pads, Alcantara retrim, roof motor in boot
2022 BMW G80 320D Touring

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by Nanu » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:07 pm

IRD wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:30 pm It is a difficult time when they are choosing which university and the most suitable course. It is hard not to push them to do what you think is best. Finding the balance and helping them to make the most informed choice is difficult. One of our granddaughters is going to Durham in October. Thankfully she has chosen what we think is the right university and the best course. But all you can do really is help and support and keep your fingers crossed that it all works out. I hope your daughter finds somewhere where she is happy and also a course she enjoys. :thumbsup:
Durham is a great city and she will love it. Great Uni for sporting activities if she is that way inclined especially rowing. Always see crews out on the river in all weathers.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

IRD

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by IRD » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:43 pm

Nanu wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:07 pm
IRD wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:30 pm It is a difficult time when they are choosing which university and the most suitable course. It is hard not to push them to do what you think is best. Finding the balance and helping them to make the most informed choice is difficult. One of our granddaughters is going to Durham in October. Thankfully she has chosen what we think is the right university and the best course. But all you can do really is help and support and keep your fingers crossed that it all works out. I hope your daughter finds somewhere where she is happy and also a course she enjoys. :thumbsup:
Durham is a great city and she will love it. Great Uni for sporting activities if she is that way inclined especially rowing. Always see crews out on the river in all weathers.
I went to Durham myself a long, long time ago and loved every minute of my time there. So I was really pleased when my granddaughter chose it too. I was born in one of the coastal mining villages and when I got a place at Durham I could have lived at home but chose to live in one of the hall’s of residence rather than travel each day. It is much easier to build relationships and make new friends if you are residential. Plus it is that first step to independence. I have lived near Lincoln since 1984 but am really looking forward to visiting Ella once she starts her course. 👍Durham is a beautiful city and the people there are so friendly. Can’t wait really!