Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What’s Nottingham like?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jock156

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by jock156 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:09 pm

Taking my middle daughter to Nottingham Trent University tomorrow where she has been accepted.

I know absolute zero about that area/ county apart from Robin Hood & Brian Clough.

So any comments/ pointers/ notes etc.

My daughter is quite sensible and friendly but has only ever stopped out a night at a friends etc.

Even comments on University life :D

TIA :thumbsup:

sars
Lifer
Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by sars » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:39 pm

Nottingham is quite the city, both my nephews went to university there and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

jock156

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by jock156 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:31 pm

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

lucasxdiniz

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by lucasxdiniz » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:02 am

I'm a UoN alumni. Nottingham is a great city with plenty to do, easy access to anything by tram. However, student areas like Lenton & events (bonfire night comes to mind) is targeted by scumbags that find it easy to mug students. Pretty sure it's still the most sexually active city in the UK, and consequently the one with the highest rate of STDs. Don't know much about Trent, I'm afraid, so won't bother going into specifics about campuses etc.

Also, tell her to get used to UoN students taking the piss out of Trent on nights out (although most clubs will have uni specific nights), some will just be friendly banter, but some true idiots with a sense of superiority who might get quite nasty... I never saw Trent students get nasty towards UoN students. Not sure how normal it is for different unis in the same town/city to have a big divide, but always felt like UoN v Trent was a bit over the top.
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

M1k3yC

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by M1k3yC » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:20 am

lucasxdiniz wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:02 am Not sure how normal it is for different unis in the same town/city to have a big divide
There was occasionally a similar thing between Coventry Uni and Warwick Uni when I was there, albeit 20 years ago. It didn't affect me for the four years I studied at Warwick, though, so it was easy to avoid. I'm guessing you're more likely to run into that sort of thing if you're in a sports team because they tended to have wilder nights out and it was really obvious what uni they were at.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:56 am

lucasxdiniz wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:02 am Pretty sure it's still the most sexually active city in the UK,
I miss my student days :) but that was a long time ago :cry:

Tim.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by paddy wright » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:13 pm

I’m sure she will be absolutely fine and have a great time. As you say she is a sensible girl, she will make friends with like minded people and spend 3-4 years creating life long memories! :thumbsup:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:27 pm

sars wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:39 pm I know absolute zero about that area/ county apart from Robin Hood & Brian Clough and Martin O’Neill
jock156 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:09 pm My daughter is quite sensible and friendly
So is mine but be ready for the sleepless nights for both “Dad I’m VERY stressed and I’ve an assignment due tomorrow” and ‘FFS 😡 I told her to let me know when she was leaving the club/getting a tax/got home and you’ve not heard a word and are still up at 5 in the morning ” :tumbleweed:

Saying that, she had a great time and after the initial stress of getting used to them being away and learning looking after their self’s it’s a great thing for them :thumbsup:

The only piece of advice I’d give you Brian is that if she’s not used to being away etc like you say. If possible you go and visit her for lunch etc at the weekends when she goes rather than letting her come home. Two reasons, that initial period is when they’ll be bonding with her new flat/class mates and being away from home thats important. It also reduces the habit of coming home which can encourage homesickness. I always joked with my daughter it wasn’t home she was missing it was me so I’d come and see her for a couple of hours, during the day if possible, to allow her to do all her friends/student stuff at night. Kathleen and I also sometimes used to stay on a PI etc and go out on the Saturday night then catch up again with her for an hour before I went home on the Sunday and that seemed to greatly reduce the homesickness’s.

We’ve also done this with Kathleen’s two daughters and it’s pretty well been the same with them :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

jock156

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by jock156 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:24 pm

Great advice from all of you guys, thank you! :thumbsup:

Now curled up in bed at a hotel absolutely fecked from walking :(

Uni looks a great building and the surrounding campus :thumbsup:

Quite a vibrant town centre and more than enough eateries :thumbsup:

I was pleasantly surprised :D

Now have to look at Lincoln and the UEA which is our home patch.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am

jock156 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:24 pm Now have to look at Lincoln and the UEA which is our home patch.
    My daughter is going to look at Lincoln in a few weeks too.

She has also been 'invited' to visit Oxford and Cambridge! :o (I've checked, she is definitely my daughter) :D
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:38 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am She has also been 'invited' to visit Oxford and Cambridge! (I've checked, she is definitely my daughter)
    Difference is, she’s been invited to go, you’ll be invited to leave :poke: :D

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

jock156

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by jock156 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:49 pm

Well thats Lincoln right off the agenda!!!!!! :rofl:

Nanu
      Lifer
      Lifer

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by Nanu » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:57 pm

Keep away from Newcastle Uni.

Party City and will cost a fortune :D
      G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
      E89 35is Valencia Orange
      E89 28i Crimson
      E89 25i White

jock156

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by jock156 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:11 pm

Cheers Nanu but she didn’t apply there :)

IRD

What’s Nottingham like?

Post by IRD » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:30 pm

It is a difficult time when they are choosing which university and the most suitable course. It is hard not to push them to do what you think is best. Finding the balance and helping them to make the most informed choice is difficult. One of our granddaughters is going to Durham in October. Thankfully she has chosen what we think is the right university and the best course. But all you can do really is help and support and keep your fingers crossed that it all works out. I hope your daughter finds somewhere where she is happy and also a course she enjoys. :thumbsup: