Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FREE Scammers

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scammers

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:50 pm It's an interesting point about messaging. Previously, from a software engineering point of view, "Private" simply meant "Not Public". I rather assumed all messaging was capable of being accessed. It's only in the last few years with things like WhatsApp banging the drum about end-to-end security that anyone probably even considered whether or not messages were visible to site admins. Years ago it would have never occurred to me that encrypting such things was a possibility, and I would never have expected a bit of Freeware like phpBB to do it, if it had.

However, anywhere where the source code can be altered, whether a forum or WhatsApp, inserting a bit of code to intercept a key between two correspondants to allow a bit of snooping (or even just copy the messages prior to encrypting) wouldn't be terribly hard. In the case of WhatsApp etc they are kept in line by the fear they may be found out and a possible actual moral belief in their Ts&Cs. For a two man and a dog forum, no-one would ever know. Which means that, in the end on here, nothing changes - don't post anything on the internet you don't want people to know about!
I wasn't going to address this issue as it wasn't the point of the original post, but seeing how you penned a quite eloquent response I thought I'd also chime in.

You are spot on from a technical perspective, and in almost all aspects of the Internet the person with the "keys" to the hosting account can almost always access all the data in one way or another. That's where there has to be a level of trust... but that's not unique to the Internet:

- You trust your postman not to steal/read your physical mail
- You trust the receptionist at the Doctors with your medical records
- You trust your Mobile Phone provider with your SMS's
- You trust your email provider not to go through your mail (unless you are with Gmail, then they openly do that and sell the data, lol!)

... and the list goes on...

I honestly have no inclination to read people's PM's... it's a car forum not a swinging site, so I doubt it'd be very interesting anyway!

I do however have a duty of care (not necessarily legal duty, but moral) to look out for the members of the forum, and if I get warned of a scammer operating I will look into it and if it looks suspicious I will check their sent PM's. You can usually tell what is suspicious... 10 send PM's but only 3 posts, for example.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Scammers

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:28 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 pm
smorris_12 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:50 pm It's an interesting point about messaging. Previously, from a software engineering point of view, "Private" simply meant "Not Public". I rather assumed all messaging was capable of being accessed. It's only in the last few years with things like WhatsApp banging the drum about end-to-end security that anyone probably even considered whether or not messages were visible to site admins. Years ago it would have never occurred to me that encrypting such things was a possibility, and I would never have expected a bit of Freeware like phpBB to do it, if it had.

However, anywhere where the source code can be altered, whether a forum or WhatsApp, inserting a bit of code to intercept a key between two correspondants to allow a bit of snooping (or even just copy the messages prior to encrypting) wouldn't be terribly hard. In the case of WhatsApp etc they are kept in line by the fear they may be found out and a possible actual moral belief in their Ts&Cs. For a two man and a dog forum, no-one would ever know. Which means that, in the end on here, nothing changes - don't post anything on the internet you don't want people to know about!
I wasn't going to address this issue as it wasn't the point of the original post, but seeing how you penned a quite eloquent response I thought I'd also chime in.

You are spot on from a technical perspective, and in almost all aspects of the Internet the person with the "keys" to the hosting account can almost always access all the data in one way or another. That's where there has to be a level of trust... but that's not unique to the Internet:

- You trust your email provider not to go through your mail (unless you are with Gmail, then they openly do that and sell the data, lol!)

I honestly have no inclination to read people's PM's... it's a car forum not a swinging site, so I doubt it'd be very interesting anyway!

I do however have a duty of care (not necessarily legal duty, but moral) to look out for the members of the forum, and if I get warned of a scammer operating I will look into it and if it looks suspicious I will check their sent PM's. You can usually tell what is suspicious... 10 send PM's but only 3 posts, for example.
Please keep it up.
Fully endorsed from me. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Scammers

Post by Chris_D » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:35 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:24 pm
Chris_D wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:06 pm
john-e89 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:44 pm Does anyone seriously think Spectre has the time or inclination to scan over personal pm's...?
Especially not when you go whinging to people about other members via pm's John...eh? Know what I mean John?
🤣. Same old little Lenny…can’t deal with anyone else’s opinion. Time for a nappy change son, you’re obvs chaffing.
You'll be sending me a pm aswell later then, you whinger minger.
:lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Scammers

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:46 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 pm I wasn't going to address this issue as it wasn't the point of the original post, but seeing how you penned a quite eloquent response I thought I'd also chime in.

Well I'm glad someone is looking out for scammers so thank you for doing just that. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Scammers

Post by MikeyH » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:08 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:46 pm
sp3ctre wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 pm I wasn't going to address this issue as it wasn't the point of the original post, but seeing how you penned a quite eloquent response I thought I'd also chime in.

Well I'm glad someone is looking out for scammers so thank you for doing just that. :thumbsup:
Ditto, thanks :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Worcester_spoon

Scammers

Post by Worcester_spoon » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:08 pm

Next time I send a PM I’m going to add a special little message saying hello to Sp3ctre :-)
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Scammers

Post by MikeyH » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:14 pm

Worcester_spoon wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:08 pm Next time I send a PM I’m going to add a special little message saying hello to Sp3ctre :-)
It's in his name, a ghost that haunts the halls of the Z4 forum :rofl: :evil:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Scammers

Post by Pondrew » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:33 am

Right.....that's it! I'm not talking dirty to anyone, anymore over PM.
I don't care how much you all beg, it's just not safe.
You know who you are. I will cancel the standing orders and return any unused monies (except Chris_D......I'm keeping your money). It was fun while it lasted.... :rofl: :rofl:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Scammers

Post by bigwinn » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:44 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:33 am Right.....that's it! I'm not talking dirty to anyone, anymore over PM.
I don't care how much you all beg, it's just not safe.
You know who you are. I will cancel the standing orders and return any unused monies (except Chris_D......I'm keeping your money). It was fun while it lasted.... :rofl: :rofl:
But you promised…
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

pvr
Legend
Legend

Scammers

Post by pvr » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:42 am

Hé keeps his promises as long as his cars
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Rossi1001

Scammers

Post by Rossi1001 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:55 pm

There's a new scammer - dsmith1979

skmattwell

Scammers

Post by skmattwell » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:05 pm

Rossi1001 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:55 pm There's a new scammer - dsmith1979
+1 Definitely a scammer

pvr
Legend
Legend

Scammers

Post by pvr » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:12 pm

Already reported him
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Umfaan

Scammers

Post by Umfaan » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 pm

I be reported him as well
Thank God …he just tried me …their modus operandi is to message you when you looking for parts saying his mate has them for a good price and gives you a email .
Once bitten twice shy .

Mr_E85Bim

Scammers

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:58 pm

Looks like DSmith tried to send me a message! Thank you for taking the time to delete the message!
Please feel free to manage my PMs anytime. If it means I am going to be saved from being scammed!! :thumbsup: