Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fleppin MOTs!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Rix

Fleppin MOTs!

Post by Rix » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:24 pm

... are always a nerve wracking affair!

Due to the covid MOT extension and then a period of SORN, my E85 hadn't had an MOT since 2019! Freshly recommissioned and DME replaced from Xing the issue that had taken it off the road, it was time to book it in for D Day. It had been running a little bit rough on idle since getting the car running, which I thought might have been the plugs/fuel, but always seemed to resolve itself so hadn't worried about investigating. Anyway, car started this morn to get it warm and running well, in prep for the MOT booking 20 mins ahead. Much to my horror the EML came on! A quick Google suggested a pos vac leak and sure enough one of the hoses was split. A quick temp fix with gaffer tape and off I went to the MOT man, more nervous than ever...

An hour later, impatiently waiting for the call of doom, I checked the MOT status online - imagine my joy when it was confirmed as passed, and not even an advisory in sight!

Anyway, popped to the dealer and ordered up the replacement hose, which should be on the car my tomorrow morning - I'm so happy the car is getting back to full health - next stop, a very decent service!

smorris_12

Fleppin MOTs!

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:53 am

Irritating things MoTs. I seem to have had more cars with them in December/January than any other time of year. Complete pain if they need work as the days are short and horrible. I always contemplate trying to move them to the summer but then there's the dread of just doing an MOT full stop.

Can't win!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Fleppin MOTs!

Post by paddy wright » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:15 am

Glad to hear your MOT was painless
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Chippie

Fleppin MOTs!

Post by Chippie » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:44 am

That’s a great result for you, :thumbsup:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

DevonPaul

Fleppin MOTs!

Post by DevonPaul » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:56 am

Am I the only one that looks forwards to MOT time?

Confirmation that the car is in good health and has been well looked after, and early warning of anything that might need attention or that has failed.

OK, so the picky **** situated 5 miles East of Exeter who failed it on cloudy headlight lenses and then offered to polish them for 2 hours of their labour is off my Friends list (they were barely misted, the detailer who came out and did them for £50 was amazed they'd failed), but otherwise I've never felt they were a problem.
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

Rix

Fleppin MOTs!

Post by Rix » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:42 pm

DevonPaul wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:56 am Am I the only one that looks forwards to MOT time?

Confirmation that the car is in good health and has been well looked after, and early warning of anything that might need attention or that has failed.

OK, so the picky **** situated 5 miles East of Exeter who failed it on cloudy headlight lenses and then offered to polish them for 2 hours of their labour is off my Friends list (they were barely misted, the detailer who came out and did them for £50 was amazed they'd failed), but otherwise I've never felt they were a problem.
Ha, yeah it is a good feeling getting a clean sheet - belies it's 18 years! Shockingly it's done just 1500 miles since the 2019 MOT bringing it up to just under 28k so that stands it in good stead. I also have a bit of misting in the headlights to sort but not a mention from my MOT man - that does sound incredibly picky to fail it!