Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Joel's Z4 coupe 'keeping it original' gone wrong..

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
joelvdrZ4C

Post by joelvdrZ4C » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:25 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been on this forum for a few months now but haven't really introduced myself. I'm Joël, I live in Holland and just turned 26. Almost 4 years ago I sold my old classic Mini Cooper for something that wouldn't rust so quickly.. Been searching for some time and the Z4 roadster came up. My dad used to have a gorgeous E85 3.0si in Rubinschwarz with individual yellow-ish interior. That thing was amazing and by then I just remembered how nice they were.
So when I was going to see some roadsters, I also saw a coupe in a shop.. And thought: OH YES, I NEED THAT. It's not that I didn't know they existed, I just 'forgot' about them.. That coupe they had was a dark blue one, but with beige leather and wood trim interior. Not my taste, also the gearbox wasn't so brilliant. So kept searching.
Back then I wanted an automatic gearbox (easier for the traffic jams I had to go through every week). So after a few weeks of searching I found a good looking 2006 silvergrey coupe 3.0si for sale. And that was such a more smooth driving car. A week later I was the happy owner :)
IMG_4558.jpeg
IMG_4558.jpeg (264.7 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
So yes, haters will hate, I bought an automatic. Do I regret it? Yes sometimes I do. Sometimes I wish I traded it for a manual, but I've actually modded it too much to let it go. Also the automatic is quick and with the paddles it makes it very fun to drive! It's a great looking and driving coupe and I'll tell what I've done to it. Cause it's a long way.

But hey the title says: keeping it original?
Yes that was the plan when I bought it 4 years ago, keep it original so it has its most value when selling later. Until I thought, sell it? Nah maybe never. This is such a unique car and like a good friend (will be mentioned later) says about his coupe; making it OEM+.

Alright, so. How did I get there. One day I was biking around my hometown and I saw around 10 coupes driving by, wondering why I wasn't there! So I started searching on Facebook and joined a group where I was immediately invited to a Dutch whatsapp group with by then around 15 coupe owners (right now we're at 37!). So a few weeks later I joined the first meet, it was a small meet with my silver grey, and 3 interlagos blue M coupes. They said is that I should get spacers on my wheels, so they make the car wider. So I did and that's the first mod! Of many..
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG (318.63 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
Then I bought my second set of wheels, I always wanted to own a set of 224M wheels to replace the 203's. So I found a pretty cheap set and got them, there were a lot of scratches and loose paint parts on there so had to get them refurbished sometime. I did and let them powder coated in gunmetal grey! Looks just gorgeous imo.

Soon after that I got a matte black grill to replace the silver ones and these makes the nose much sportier.

A few months later a friend in the whatsapp group was selling his carbon spoiler because he ordered the bigger Skyer spoiler. That'd be too much for me and got the spoiler from him and after 45 mins of measuring the middle and put it on the car, it's again more sportier.

Then it was time for something.. Bigger.. More expensive.. I wanted a sports exhaust. I mean I like the sound of the standard exhaust but like a lot, it could be a bit louder.. I didn't want to remove a muffler because this is my daily and I don't want to get annoyed of the sound. My mind fell on Eisenmann.. Those just look brilliant, the big steel pipes make it look sporty but also elegant. Then the question; sport or race version? After asking around, I went for the sport cause that would be a little louder but not too loud. So ordered it but hey it was covid time and materials were barely available. I had to wait around 5 months to get it. I ordered it at a Dutch retailer and somehow, when my garage was fitting it and noticed it didn't fit so good, somehow the retailer ordered at Eisenmann the muffler for the pre facelift. Why? Who knows.. Stupid mistake, cause it was hanging too low and made contact with other parts when driving. Making it so annoying to drive. I contacted the retailer and gladly they ordered the right one at their cost. But hey! Another 5 month wait... So almost a year after ordering a muffler, I got the right one and this was good right away when fitted. The sound is brilliant, a deep and good sound.
IMG_8736.JPG
IMG_8736.JPG (186.75 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
Right now I'm gonna keep it with this.. There is much more to talk about, but I don't want to bore you guys ;)
I'll update this regularly!
‘06 E86 Z4 coupé 3.0si silbergrau
Insta: @joels_e86sc

Barty

Post by Barty » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:31 pm

Nothing boring about that at all! Good read, and while I know where this is going I enjoy the walk down memory lane none the less :thumbsup:
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:50 pm

Hi Joel and welcome to Coupe ownership even if you got yours some time ago. :thumbsup:

Just be careful as they can be addictive. :lol:

There seem to be quite a few Coupe fans in the Netherlands - you obviously have good taste!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

joelvdrZ4C

Post by joelvdrZ4C » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:56 pm

Alright, on to the next mods!

About a year ago I met a quite new member of the group, Barty. He has a car detail shop and I wanted to drive by and see what he does. I also wanted to paint my brake calipers to M blue color and he was happy to do that project with me. So on a Saturday we started at 7am, took off the wheels and dismounted the brake calipers. Cleaned them and coated them with 2 layers blue paint from and around 6pm I had beautifully painted calipers! Got a good wash and wax from Bart after and it just looks super clean!
IMG_8914.JPG
IMG_8914.JPG (164.75 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Then I started talking to Bart and shared our ideas for the coupes.. Or well; he shared his ideas and I wanted it all as well haha!
One of those things were getting the headliner in alcantara. Oh yes I needed that, it originally had a light grey fabric and would love the black alcantara on it. So we did! One day we both took out our headliners, brought them to a very good company close by and a week later we moved back in our beautiful alcantara headliners! With that I also replaced the interior lights for led's.
A friend of Bart also gave his steering wheel some new nappa leather, which I also wanted and she did. A bit thicker and soft nappa steering wheel was also placed that day.
2E9DEC7E-F79B-445F-A07C-95C3227F19D2.jpg
2E9DEC7E-F79B-445F-A07C-95C3227F19D2.jpg (150.71 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
A little before we started on the headliner projects, he also mentioned that on my colour zed, a black roof would look brilliant.. For me it was quite a big step for the zed, cause it changes the look of the car a lot. But after searching for pics, I noticed he was right! A week later my roof was wrapped black hehe.. Just a day before we went to Bimmerfest here in Holland!
IMG_9499.JPG
IMG_9499.JPG (184.95 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
‘06 E86 Z4 coupé 3.0si silbergrau
Insta: @joels_e86sc

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:15 pm

I love the look of your coupe. And those 224s look incredible on your silvergrey car.
“Mooi!”
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:17 pm

Great to hear about you and your Z4 story. :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:26 pm

That alcantara headlining looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

I'll be following your updates but I can see some Aero sills and maybe M-Sport seats coming soon!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Barty

Post by Barty » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:08 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:26 pm That alcantara headlining looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

I'll be following your updates but I can see some Aero sills and maybe M-Sport seats coming soon!
You've got some inside information haven't you..? :lol: Though the seats are an interesting story I'm sure JoelvdrZ4C will share in due course :poke:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 pm

Barty wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:08 pm You've got some inside information haven't you..? Though the seats are an interesting story I'm sure JoelvdrZ4C will share in due course
Well I remember reading about your Aero sill buying spree! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Barty

Post by Barty » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:16 pm

Mr Tidy, Ah... yeah... Joël was actually there on the trip with me! One of the sets still has to go onto another coupe actually. Ironically, the recent sale of the aero bumper and sills by Jamie may or may not have something to do with all that... :innocent:

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:54 pm

Cool car Joel! :D

nice write up too, entertaining. Love the Alcantara interior, and the black roof, those items make the car soo much younger.

excellent set of mods to start off with, love it!!! :w00t:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3