Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Latest little issue - sport button not working?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rix

Post by Rix » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:08 pm

The little light comes on with the ignition, so it appears that it has life, but when the cars running it doesn't respond to being pressed - at least no little light!

I know it's the most negligible difference anyway, but it's bugging me! I did the adaptations reset when the replacement DME went in and wondered if it had anything to to do with that? Any suggestions? No faults seem to be logged on any modules...

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:27 pm

Think it is a sign that the seals on BMWs version of the variable timing are on the way out. Forget their exact name but they are prone to wear and you can get a kit with a better seal. Others however may have a different opinion.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:34 pm

Mike6 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:27 pm Think it is a sign that the seals on BMWs version of the variable timing are on the way out. Forget their exact name but they are prone to wear and you can get a kit with a better seal. Others however may have a different opinion.
As far as I’m aware sport mode doesn’t alter any vanos settings, the increased response comes entirely from a different throttle map.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:46 pm

Power steering all ok?
If the EPS ECU has a fit it won't communicate with the scanners.
Usually this results in loss of assistance and the yellow steering wheel on the dash, plus the Sport button won't work.
But I wonder if it's possible it is just starting to give up.
Will your scanner/code reader communicate with the EPS system?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:09 pm

Thats another little nugget I filed away blown out of the water. I had understood if the seals on the vanos wear and oil get past them then this affects acceleration including when you push the sports button.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:14 pm

All the sports button does is make the steering heavier and sharpens up the throttle response. It doesn't do anything to the engine to give you more power. On an auto it also delays the gear change which is handy!

Rix

Post by Rix » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:40 am

Well I had another little look and no codes registered anywhere including the EPS. I did have a bit of a misfire yesterday when I started from cold, but it settles down to run fine very soon after - I will monitor this but not really going to get a chance to test until I get the MOT done - not sure whether it's at all related to the lack of sports button functionality!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:50 am

My question was, does the code reader manage to communicate with the EPS. That's a bit different to not showing any codes.
If it cannot communicate it is indicative of an EPS ECU failure. Unlikely to only affect the Sports button though.
Not something you disturbed around the fuse box area?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rix

Post by Rix » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:50 am My question was, does the code reader manage to communicate with the EPS.
Yes it does talk ok to the EPS module and all the others. It's a possiblity I could have disturbed something - will check it all out! Ta

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:49 pm

Rix wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:25 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:50 am My question was, does the code reader manage to communicate with the EPS.
Yes it does talk ok to the EPS module and all the others. It's a possiblity I could have disturbed something - will check it all out! Ta
Did you get any further with this issue?

Rix

Post by Rix » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:43 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:49 pm
Rix wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:25 pm
Did you get any further with this issue?
No I didn't, I must admit, apart from checking for codes and making sure all the modules are talking, I don't really know where to go with what to look at next!

ziyman

Post by ziyman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:38 pm

Hi Rix, just checking if you somehow were able to resolve the issue. I’m having the same issue.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:42 pm

ziyman wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:38 pm Hi Rix, just checking if you somehow were able to resolve the issue. I’m having the same issue.
I did some research on this for someone yesterday.
It seems the sport button sends a signal to the DME, which alters the map to the throttle. It then sends the info on to the EPS ECU, and if it's an auto, also the gearbox.
So potentially could be a DME issue?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:50 pm

Screenshot 2023-10-28 124940.png
Screenshot 2023-10-28 124940.png (47.04 KiB) Viewed 278 times

ziyman

Post by ziyman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:58 pm

On my side, everything works fine apart from the button not lighting up and activating the sports mode. When key position is on before starting the engine it briefly lights up then after starting the engine, pressing the button does nothing and button is not lit.

Problem started happening after having an eml code P0050 (oxygen sensor smthg). During the period that fault was present this is where i noticed the problem with the button. I thought that maybe it was because the eml light was on that it was preventing activation of the sports mode.

Then mechanic cleared the fault code and also told me he updated the software version or smthng. so now no eml light and sport mode still not engaging and lighting up. Before the eml fault, sports mode was working well. Btw mine is a manual.

Apart from that car runs great, so don’t think its a DME issue. Would disconnecting the battery help the ecu’s to reboot to factory defaults? Or should fuse number 7 for the sports button be checked?