Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iDrive knob unresponsive

fantomass

iDrive knob unresponsive

Post by fantomass » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:07 pm

Following my attempt to install the MMI box, I now have to go through the trouble of troubleshooting my iDrive controller :cry:

What happened

As described in that other thread, I made a mistake when wiring the MMI box - due to the unfortunate combination of me not reading/requesting the installation manual beforehand and that the handbrake 10-pin plug is the same one as the alternate 10-pin iDrive plug, what I did on my first attempt to install the box was that I plugged its harness both into the 4-pin iDrive controller wiring but also the 10-pin plug (that should not have been used) into the handbrake plug. (Unsurprisingly?) the MMI box didn't boot, so I removed it and reassembled the dash. Only to later find out that my iDrive knob didn't work since then. To clarify, the iDrive system seems to work - the display works, my phone connects via bluetooth, I can make calls, PDC works, I can control the system using the pre-programmed memory buttons (1-8) on the radio - it's just the knob (and the other buttons on the controller) that's not responsive at all, nor does it light up.

Diagnostics / What I tried

I opened the centre console trim first to check for any obviously visible issues with the plug connection, or whether I clipped the cable during reassembly of the trim but didn't see anything. I even opened the 4-pin connector that goes into the knob, wiggled the cables, it all looked very much OK. My battery has been swapped for a new one in the meantime (I had a weak one during that 1st MMI installation attempt).

Now to determine whether the fault is in the controller itself or elsewhere (wiring - power, CAN bus, etc.)...

Having done some research, is this what each of the 4 pins should be? (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
ECCAAD07-6E1E-418D-BBBC-769007AB670E_1_201_a.JPG
ECCAAD07-6E1E-418D-BBBC-769007AB670E_1_201_a.JPG (188.72 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Measuring the voltages and there was no voltage on pin #1. The measurements on the CAN bus pins were oscillating around 0.5V on #3, and around 4,5V on #4.)

Failing to measure 12V makes me think that there's an issue outside of the controller. (While we can't rule out that the controller itself is broken as well.)

Any tips what to do? Should I try testing some fuses? (I found the fuse diagram, but have no idea which fuses might be related to this - which ones to look at.) Please help me fix my knob! :D

fantomass

iDrive knob unresponsive

Post by fantomass » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:39 pm

Quick update: fuse #27 is blown. I'll report back once I replace it

fantomass

iDrive knob unresponsive

Post by fantomass » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:31 pm

The fuse solved it, the controller works again! :D

Chippie

iDrive knob unresponsive

Post by Chippie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:05 pm

I’m glad it was an easy fix for you, fuse should always be one of the first things to check.
Are you re fitting the MMI box?
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

RobbiZ4

iDrive knob unresponsive

Post by RobbiZ4 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:51 pm

Puuh, congrats for this simple solution.

We just had a case in Germany, where the iDrive controller has died in a period of weak battery support. Up to now I don't have any idea, what has happened to it. Maybe I'll get it sent in the next weeks for further examinations.

GERMAN:
https://www.zroadster.com/forum/threads ... it.145901/

ENGLISH:
https://www-zroadster-com.translate.goo ... r_pto=wapp
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

fantomass

iDrive knob unresponsive

Post by fantomass » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:19 pm

Chippie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:05 pm Are you re fitting the MMI box?
Yes, attempt #2 next week probably. Will report how it went in my original thread