Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine rattle on cold start

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:16 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:53 pm Bingo!
Vanos. It means that when you get an overhaul kit for it you need to get one that includes the rattle rings.
It does mean that you can relax a little though as apart from losing a bit of torque (which was probably gone long before you got it) there is no immediate rush to save your engine.

https://x8r.co.uk/for-bmw-double-twin-d ... skets.html
Exactly as you suspected! Thanks again for all of your help so far. This forum is brilliant!
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm

poortomsacold wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:16 pm
Vanos. It means that when you get an overhaul kit for it you need to get one that includes the rattle rings.
It does mean that you can relax a little though as apart from losing a bit of torque (which was probably gone long before you got it) there is no immediate rush to save your engine.

Exactly as you suspected! Thanks again for all of your help so far. This forum is brilliant!
To be fair, it wasn't just me though.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:24 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm

No there are some extremely knowledgeable folks on this forum. Am hoping that once the seals are changed the rare hesitation I have will go. Then at some stage to look into the clunk I sometimes get from the rear end when I change gears without compensating sufficiently well with the accelerator - another issue that seems quite common....it never ends!
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:34 pm

The whole point of the vanos system is to adjust the angle between the cams, using oil pressure, directed by solenoids and shuttle valves, to ensure the optimum timing at all engine speeds.
When the seals fail the oil sneaks past instead of acting to adjust the cam timing.
I have a 3.0i that I am (very) slowly doing up. When I connect my Autophix 5900 code reader to it I can see real time feedback on several systems, including the cam angles. At the moment, whatever engine speed I try, the angles stay exactly the same. So I know this one needs the vanos seals sorted to. Luckily it is quiet though, so I may get away with the cheaper kit.
If it encourages you at all, 3 years go I bought my wife an E85 2.5i Auto as a Valentine's present. Prior to that I had no knowledge of these cars at all. So it will come to you. Every job you do will add to your knowledge.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:26 pm

poortomsacold wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:24 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm

No there are some extremely knowledgeable folks on this forum. Am hoping that once the seals are changed the rare hesitation I have will go. Then at some stage to look into the clunk I sometimes get from the rear end when I change gears without compensating sufficiently well with the accelerator - another issue that seems quite common....it never ends!
It does end...eventually :D Twenty year old cars. Once you replace/repair all the original components that can give problems due to age/decomposition/heat cycles etc then life becomes much easier.
By the way that clunk from the rear end driveline will more than likely be the prop-shaft splines into the diff requiring some grease :D Drop the exhaust, drop the prop-shaft, apply correct grease...sorted. Another job you can tick off the list :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:34 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:26 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm To be fair, it wasn't just me though.
It does end...eventually :D Twenty year old cars. Once you replace/repair all the original components that can give problems due to age/decomposition/heat cycles etc then life becomes much easier.
By the way that clunk from the rear end driveline will more than likely be the prop-shaft splines into the diff requiring some grease :D Drop the exhaust, drop the prop-shaft, apply correct grease...sorted. Another job you can tick off the list :thumbsup:
That’s very handy to know - will add that to the to do list! I’ll get there in the end I’m sure!
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:38 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:34 pm The whole point of the vanos system is to adjust the angle between the cams, using oil pressure, directed by solenoids and shuttle valves, to ensure the optimum timing at all engine speeds.
When the seals fail the oil sneaks past instead of acting to adjust the cam timing.
I have a 3.0i that I am (very) slowly doing up. When I connect my Autophix 5900 code reader to it I can see real time feedback on several systems, including the cam angles. At the moment, whatever engine speed I try, the angles stay exactly the same. So I know this one needs the vanos seals sorted to. Luckily it is quiet though, so I may get away with the cheaper kit.
If it encourages you at all, 3 years go I bought my wife an E85 2.5i Auto as a Valentine's present. Prior to that I had no knowledge of these cars at all. So it will come to you. Every job you do will add to your knowledge.
That’s reassuring. A few weeks ago I’d not really done any work on a car, so have done more than ever before. Don’t think I’d ever heard of a vanos or disa valve but today took the latter out to inspect it - never thought I’d tinker with parts of the engine of a Z4 I must say. It’s good to learn!
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:52 am

So after just over a week of noticing the rattle it has gotten somewhat worse - it sounded pretty noisy when starting the car today. When the temperature was up to normal the rattle cannot really be heard when in neutral/idle, but can be heard when accelerating. Does this all sound pretty standard for a vanos that needs a rebuild? Is there any risk in keeping driving it?

Thanks!
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:33 pm

poortomsacold wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:52 am So after just over a week of noticing the rattle it has gotten somewhat worse - it sounded pretty noisy when starting the car today. When the temperature was up to normal the rattle cannot really be heard when in neutral/idle, but can be heard when accelerating. Does this all sound pretty standard for a vanos that needs a rebuild? Is there any risk in keeping driving it?

Thanks!
If it’s getting worse then I’d move it up the list a bit. I know you’re focused on the bodywork but that can hang on. The engine needs looking after.

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:44 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:33 pm
poortomsacold wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:52 am So after just over a week of noticing the rattle it has gotten somewhat worse - it sounded pretty noisy when starting the car today. When the temperature was up to normal the rattle cannot really be heard when in neutral/idle, but can be heard when accelerating. Does this all sound pretty standard for a vanos that needs a rebuild? Is there any risk in keeping driving it?

Thanks!
If it’s getting worse then I’d move it up the list a bit. I know you’re focused on the bodywork but that can hang on. The engine needs looking after.
Totally agree - will try to get this sorted shortly so that the good bodywork will then be on a working car...! Does the vanos often deteriorate quite quickly once a rattle becomes noticeable do you know?
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:18 pm

poortomsacold wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:44 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:33 pm

Thanks!
Totally agree - will try to get this sorted shortly so that the good bodywork will then be on a working car...! Does the vanos often deteriorate quite quickly once a rattle becomes noticeable do you know?
I have not had one that actually got as far as rattling yet.
What would concern me is whether any bits can break away and get into the oil?
bigwinn, do you have more experience of this issue?

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Well I’ve elected for the better safe than sorry solution - booked her in with my local mechanic on Monday so he can diagnose the problem and we can take it from there!
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:32 pm

The vanos rattle as far as I understand is not critical

It’s wear on the bearing rings which move in the unit- so ultimately it could fail but I’ve never seen that amount of wear

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:17 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:32 pm The vanos rattle as far as I understand is not critical

It’s wear on the bearing rings which move in the unit- so ultimately it could fail but I’ve never seen that amount of wear
Thanks for that. Will report back once I know exactly what the issue is.
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:16 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:26 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm To be fair, it wasn't just me though.
Amy idea how long it'd take a mechanic to drop the prop shaft and apply the correct grease? I'm taking it to my mechanic next week for the rattle and whilst there will get the gearbox and diff oil changed, so wasn't sure if this was another job to get done at the same time perhaps?
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey