Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rocker cover & oil filter housing leaks - thoughts on what to address?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:19 pm

j24 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:50 pm 1. Switch the ignition onto position 2
2. Within a space of 15 seconds depress the accelerator pedal down to full throttle 10 times
This is the one I did and it worked fine but have read that that just turning ignition on and waiting works also . Mine is an 08 so much the same as yours . If you follow the procedure of using the allen key to wind the valvetronic in then it should reset without problem . Honestly once you have done it you will wonder what you were worrying about :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:18 pm

Should FINALLY get time to install the new rocker cover tomorrow, and think I have everything I need...

Just one more schoolboy question to ask…How best to properly clean the valve cover seal making surfaces?

Thinking a lint free cloth… but not sure about brake cleaner in that part of the engine?
2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:13 pm

j24 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:18 pm brake cleaner in that part of the engine?
I used brake cleaner sprayed onto a cloth and then wiped over . I had a couple of small areas on the cylinder head that were stubborn so I used a fine grade wet and dry paper and then wiped over again with brake cleaner .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:16 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:13 pm
j24 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:18 pm brake cleaner in that part of the engine?
I used brake cleaner sprayed onto a cloth and then wiped over . I had a couple of small areas on the cylinder head that were stubborn so I used a fine grade wet and dry paper and then wiped over again with brake cleaner .
Cheers! :)

j24

Post by j24 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:05 am

Update - success, finished installing the rocker cover!

Half way through:

And, finished!

Huge thanks for all the help from everyone, it was super useful - by far the most complex job I’ve done on a car to date, and not sure I could have done it without the all the tips and guidance :)

Running great and no signs of leaks after a quick 30 min blast!

Next up, oil housing filter gasket and oil cooler gasket… plus probably replace the ‘mickey mouse’ coolant flange, drive belt and tensioner whilst in there… no idea how I’m going to do that all yet!

Brouse

Post by Brouse » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:14 am

Nice one mate! You'll feel like an N52 ninja after those other jobs
2006 Sapphire Black E86

colb

Post by colb » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:54 am

If your cover retaining bolts have the round rubber seals under them its reccomended to replace all 15 of them when doing a new gasket.
The seals do provide an air and oil tight seal and these do go hard with age and heat cycles which if used dont compress enough to provide a good seal. These engines require a good sealed vaccum system otherwise you will get fuel trim issues with unmetered air getting in and being picked up in the exhaust fooling the car into thinking its running lean. Computer then demands more fuel at the injectors to richen the mixture and will add up to 20% more fuel until it gives up and sets the EML to draw attention to the issue.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:03 am

I think you've done an awesome job lot, it's given me the confidence to attempt the same. We'll done :thumbsup:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

j24

Post by j24 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:22 am

TOMGREEN413 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:03 am I think you've done an awesome job lot, it's given me the confidence to attempt the same. We'll done :thumbsup:
Cheers Tom! Yeah pretty happy with how it went all in all - took longer than I expected, but I was definitely taking my time got caught out lacking tools at a couple of steps!

If I can do it, I’m sure you definitely can take it on :)

j24

Post by j24 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:23 am

Brouse wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:14 am Nice one mate! You'll feel like an N52 ninja after those other jobs
Haha thanks - very much still learning as I go!! I’m sure I’ll chuck out a few stupid questions along the way…

The first one will be ‘how the hell do I remove the plastic cover for the oil cooler?’ Doesn’t look like I’ve got space to manoeuvre it off.

Answers on a postcard!

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:32 am

Please can I ask what special tools you needed? It would be great to know, although l checked my engine yesterday as I too hadn't removed the engine cover since purchasing and found it all looked okay with nothing major leaking, but as preventative maintenance I'll replace the whole cover this summer, for now I've got my local garage replacing just the water pump and tank , stat housing etc. I have major plans for my car but I need to see what my friendly garage think of it before spending ££££.
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Brouse

Post by Brouse » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:51 am

j24 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:23 am
Brouse wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:14 am Nice one mate! You'll feel like an N52 ninja after those other jobs
Haha thanks - very much still learning as I go!! I’m sure I’ll chuck out a few stupid questions along the way…

The first one will be ‘how the hell do I remove the plastic cover for the oil cooler?’ Doesn’t look like I’ve got space to manoeuvre it off.

Answers on a postcard!
I fluked getting my cover off.

Swearing at it helps!
2006 Sapphire Black E86

Brouse

Post by Brouse » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:54 am

TOMGREEN413 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:32 am Please can I ask what special tools you needed? It would be great to know, although l checked my engine yesterday as I too hadn't removed the engine cover since purchasing and found it all looked okay with nothing major leaking, but as preventative maintenance I'll replace the whole cover this summer, for now I've got my local garage replacing just the water pump and tank , stat housing etc. I have major plans for my car but I need to see what my friendly garage think of it before spending ££££.
Tools-wise pretty normal the only thing i didnt have was torx spanners oh and a light duty torque wrench for the rocker cover bolts (4nm +90°) and similar.
2006 Sapphire Black E86

skelters

Post by skelters » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:14 pm

Any signs of the new rocker cover fixing the problem?
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

j24

Post by j24 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:31 pm

TOMGREEN413 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:32 am Please can I ask what special tools you needed? It would be great to know, although l checked my engine yesterday as I too hadn't removed the engine cover since purchasing and found it all looked okay with nothing major leaking, but as preventative maintenance I'll replace the whole cover this summer, for now I've got my local garage replacing just the water pump and tank , stat housing etc. I have major plans for my car but I need to see what my friendly garage think of it before spending ££££.
As Brouse says, nothing too out of the ordinary - I just got caught short tool-wise a couple of times when going through the job!

I had normal 1/4 and 3/8 socket sets, but ended up needing to buy:

- 1/4" Torque Wrench 5-25Nm (to torque the valve cover bolts)
- Torx Socket Set (think I only needed an E8 and E10 for the job)
- 1/4" drive deep socket set (needed a deep 10mm socket for the two ground bolts)
- A 1/4" female - 3/8" male socket adapter. My torque wrench is a 1/4" but the E10 torx socket I needed to use for most the valve cover bolts is a 3/8"... difficult to find an adapter going that way around!! Amazon sells one for £4
- Some bent ring pliers to remove the metal spark plug tubes

So I did spend a little bit on tools (haven't added it up, but must be around the £50ish mark) - but I wasn't starting from a huge collection anyway!

And still very much quids in compared to asking a garage to do the work for me. The previous owner was quoted £410 just to replace the valve cover gasket!! Admittedly it was a main dealer, but pretty pleased I managed to install an entire good quality OEM Elring Valve cover for a hell of a lot less than that (around £145 for the cover including all new gaskets etc).