Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M-Sport or non-M-Sport?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

M-Sport or non-M-Sport?

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:49 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:03 pm
t90ark wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:31 pm The main thing I really dislike about the SE, particularly as I drive an Msport X5 daily - the skinny steering wheel.
Totally agree on the steering wheel, I swapped mine out for a Msport one with the newer paddleshift (mines an auto) and had it refurbished by Royal Steering wheels, they thickened it also, far more comfortable
Christ, what’s that doing outside?/ :poke: :D

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

M-Sport or non-M-Sport?

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:36 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:49 pm
    Zed Baron wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:03 pm
    t90ark wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:31 pm Christ, what’s that doing outside?/ :poke: :D
    never get time to use it Andy , got another two cars sitting there. She's 14 years old this year with 37k on the clock and drives like new. A bit of fun when the sun eventually comes out. :rofl:

Silverstar

M-Sport or non-M-Sport?

Post by Silverstar » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:22 am

As others have said the M Sport is just a trim level. The sport seats are nice but were available as an option so many SE spec cars have them, comes with a thicker steering wheel with black spokes but I wouldn’t call the standard SE wheel thin, M sport also has M liveried door sills and a black roof lining as opposed to cream / beige in the SE. On the outside different bumpers front and back, front ones nice not so sure about the back, looks like a bit is missing unless it’s a 35is with the colour coded valance, I think most M sport cars have 19” alloys whereas SE may or may not and finally M Sport has slightly lowered stiffer suspension but from what I’ve seen and heard just makes the ride stiff and harsh without adding much to the handling to compensate. It would be very rare to find a 30i with adaptive suspension if at all, adaptive suspension do fail amd is very expensive to fix, can’t say how much better a car equipped with adaptive will ride and handle as opposed to the standard suspension though.
    2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

jr795

M-Sport or non-M-Sport?

Post by jr795 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:37 am

Silverstar wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:22 am As others have said the M Sport is just a trim level. The sport seats are nice but were available as an option so many SE spec cars have them, comes with a thicker steering wheel with black spokes but I wouldn’t call the standard SE wheel thin, M sport also has M liveried door sills and a black roof lining as opposed to cream / beige in the SE. On the outside different bumpers front and back, front ones nice not so sure about the back, looks like a bit is missing unless it’s a 35is with the colour coded valance, I think most M sport cars have 19” alloys whereas SE may or may not and finally M Sport has slightly lowered stiffer suspension but from what I’ve seen and heard just makes the ride stiff and harsh without adding much to the handling to compensate. It would be very rare to find a 30i with adaptive suspension if at all, adaptive suspension do fail amd is very expensive to fix, can’t say how much better a car equipped with adaptive will ride and handle as opposed to the standard suspension though.
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a 30i SE is the best option for me