Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

[SOLVED] HELP! Major (?) Electrical Issue / Gremlin - I've no idea!!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

HELP! Major (?) Electrical Issue / Gremlin - I've no idea!!

Post by Smartbear » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:06 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:35 pm Check the basics - on a car that's not been used for a while, have you picked up a stowaway?

Mice / squirrels can make camp in the small spaces & apparanetly wiring insulation is very tasty.

Stop laughing, it's worth a check.
A neighbour had similar issues recently with his land rover defender instruments lit up like a Christmas tree, i tried clearing them with a basic code reader with no joy.
Rodents had eaten through the wiring loom! :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:08 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:06 pm
matsmith749 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:35 pm Check the basics - on a car that's not been used for a while, have you picked up a stowaway?

Mice / squirrels can make camp in the small spaces & apparanetly wiring insulation is very tasty.

Stop laughing, it's worth a check.
A neighbour had similar issues recently with his land rover defender instruments lit up like a Christmas tree, i tried clearing them with a basic code reader with no joy.
Rob
Oh good! An optimist. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:08 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:06 pm A neighbour had similar issues recently with his land rover defender instruments lit up like a Christmas tree, i tried clearing them with a basic code reader with no joy.
Rob
Yikes!! now you're both worrying me! Especially since my Dad just informed me there's been rats in the back garden :(

Where would I even begin to check!?
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:12 pm

Well, to strike a better note, you say it's running ok? What are the chances that mice have eaten specific monitoring/display wiring but allowed the car to still operate ok?
Is it not still more likely to be a comms error somewhere?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:14 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:12 pm Well, to strike a better note, you say it's running ok? What are the chances that mice have eaten specific monitoring/display wiring but allowed the car to still operate ok?
Actually yes, that's a good point. The engine starts and runs perfectly so far as I can tell. The remote also works as expected, so yes still points more to comms somehow
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:16 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:14 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:12 pm Well, to strike a better note, you say it's running ok? What are the chances that mice have eaten specific monitoring/display wiring but allowed the car to still operate ok?
Actually yes, that's a good point. The engine starts and runs perfectly so far as I can tell. The remote also works as expected, so yes still points more to comms somehow
So it's check each of the modules one at a time then? Or the connectors to them?

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:21 pm

How about any of the other main earth connections, engine for example, as others have said straw clutching
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:23 pm

markplant wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:21 pm How about any of the other main earth connections, engine for example, as others have said straw clutching
The ones I checked were all fine (I checked batter terminal, chassis grounding near terminal under carpet, terminals in engine bay etc), but I'll add it to my check list - never hurts to check again with fresh eyes on a new day as I mentioned earlier -- all these "clutching at straws" things are still good to put on the list and check off :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:08 pm

Ok, well into page two, so time for a pointless humorous remark.
Did the potential mouse issue only occur after the de-cat? :D

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:11 pm

Try disconnecting the steering angle sensor and see if the scanners can then read the rest of the modules.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:12 pm

My money's on the LCM or the instrument cluster. They're surprisingly central to many things.

On a vaguely connected note, my X5 (20 in 6 months) has gained a few gremlins. One rear window randomly winds down unless the child switch is activated and the heater can't remember it's last journeys settings. As an electronics engineer, I can't think what's behind it so presume either failing electrolytics somewhere or senility setting in.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:46 pm

Goes without saying I’ve got reams of spare stuff in the parts bin feel free to borrow any lcm/modules or clocks matey

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:06 pm

BumpyZ4 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:11 pm Try disconnecting the steering angle sensor and see if the scanners can then read the rest of the modules.
Where's the plug? No worries if not sure, I can look it up on newtis but thought might be quicker to ask
smorris_12 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:12 pm My money's on the LCM or the instrument cluster. They're surprisingly central to many things.
Another possibility for sure!
bigwinn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:46 pm Goes without saying I’ve got reams of spare stuff in the parts bin feel free to borrow any lcm/modules or clocks matey
So far my list of things to swap/try is DME, LCM, GM5 and Instrument Cluster -- do you have all those?
As mentioned in 1st post, mine is a 2003 model, not sure if that matters much with the cluster (Other than the updated cluster has diff lights for bulb out and doors open I think so maybe best to stick to 2003). My LCM is the one has everything apart from headlight adjustment roller as mine are xenon -- so it has the Auto lights, front and rear fogs, I'll get a picture tomorrow afternoon to confirm exactly what it has on it

Also, let me know a pricing for all this stuff please, gotta figure out when I'll have any money spare! It's all happening at once - as I said, moving house this weekend so already spent thousands in rent, deposit, and kitting the place it as it's unfurnished, so gonna be brassic for a good couple of months I reckon.
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:10 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:06 pm
BumpyZ4 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:11 pm Try disconnecting the steering angle sensor and see if the scanners can then read the rest of the modules.
Where's the plug? No worries if not sure, I can look it up on newtis but thought might be quicker to ask
smorris_12 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:12 pm My money's on the LCM or the instrument cluster. They're surprisingly central to many things.
Another possibility for sure!
bigwinn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:46 pm Goes without saying I’ve got reams of spare stuff in the parts bin feel free to borrow any lcm/modules or clocks matey
So far my list of things to swap/try is DME, LCM, GM5 and Instrument Cluster -- do you have all those?
As mentioned in 1st post, mine is a 2003 model, not sure if that matters much with the cluster (Other than the updated cluster has diff lights for bulb out and doors open I think so maybe best to stick to 2003). My LCM is the one has everything apart from headlight adjustment roller as mine are xenon -- so it has the Auto lights, front and rear fogs, I'll get a picture tomorrow afternoon to confirm exactly what it has on it

Also, let me know a pricing for all this stuff please, gotta figure out when I'll have any money spare! It's all happening at once - as I said, moving house this weekend so already spent thousands in rent, deposit, and kitting the place it as it's unfurnished, so gonna be brassic for a good couple of months I reckon.
Ive got them all sat on the side from the recent breaker

you are welcome to borrow them to see what's going down- so don't worry about costs

you still cambridge way?

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:05 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:10 pm Ive got them all sat on the side from the recent breaker
you are welcome to borrow them to see what's going down- so don't worry about costs
you still cambridge way?
That's very kind of you! I am indeed still Cambridge yes. I'm staying in Cambridge too, so not moving far, literally like a mile from where I was ha
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22