Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric Water Pump Bleeding

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MTD

Post by MTD » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:33 pm

I've just changed the electric water pump & thermostat on my E86 and have carried out the self bleeding process, but have a couple of queries that hopefully someone can clarify.
Should the self bleeding be carried out with the expansion tank cap on or off? I've seen both on Youtube videos.
Looking at some old posts on here there was talk of two bleed screws, I can only find one next to the expansion tank cap, is there another one and do I need to open them to check for any air?
Finally how can you tell if the self bleeding process has got all the air out or if it needs redoing? I've done it three times and then with engine running the heating is blowing hot and there is water coming into the top of the expansion tank.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:46 pm

I don’t think it makes a difference if you run the self bleed it with the cap on or off, I can’t help with the bleed screws but if the heater is blowing hot and it’s not overheating I’d say job done :thumbsup:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather