Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cruise Control

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
davewuyts

Cruise Control

Post by davewuyts » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:34 am

I want to add cruise control to my 2003 z4. I know I already have the socket et cetera to plug straight into. My question is, can stalks from any other BMWs be used? Are any of them compatible? Some of them such as the five series look really similar, even down to the plug at the end. The difference is, z4 ones cost £100 and all of the others cost about £20! Does anyone know?

Skiing

Cruise Control

Post by Skiing » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:27 am

I bought mine from Cotswold BMW £87 incl Vat drop them an email

You’ll need the Z4 one nothing else fits
e85 Sterling Silver G20 330e Mineral Grey
e91 Silver
e91 Silver
e46 Black

Skiing

Cruise Control

Post by Skiing » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:44 am

e85 Sterling Silver G20 330e Mineral Grey
e91 Silver
e91 Silver
e46 Black

skmattwell

Cruise Control

Post by skmattwell » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pm

davewuyts wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:34 am I want to add cruise control to my 2003 z4. I know I already have the socket et cetera to plug straight into. My question is, can stalks from any other BMWs be used? Are any of them compatible? Some of them such as the five series look really similar, even down to the plug at the end. The difference is, z4 ones cost £100 and all of the others cost about £20! Does anyone know?
The plug might be the same but the fitment into the vehicle will be different. If they were universal I'm sure we'd all be doing it!

I'd be looking at either going straight to BMW or they occasionally pop up on this forum. Ebay is usually extortionate

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cruise Control

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:38 pm

I'm pretty sure nobody has managed to find an alternative to a Z4 specific stalk.

You might get lucky with a BMW breaker like Quarry Motors.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Cruise Control

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:47 pm

I don't know what all the fuss is about cruise control, it only works on a completely empty motorway otherwise every time some to*ser overtakes and pulls in front too close you have to use the brake and that then disengages the cruise control. I tried to use it in my wife's car taking my daughter up to Uni in Lancaster, blo*dy waste of time if you ask me. Variable cruise control yes but not the basic one. Only my opinion of course. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cruise Control

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 pm

Maybe it depends a bit where you are located.

Around my part of the world every time there are any roadworks on a Motorway average speed cameras get installed and permanent average cameras are getting fitted all the time to A Roads that used to be subject to the NSL.

Or maybe it's just me, but I really struggle to stick to 40 or 50 in my MC, especially when there isn't much traffic, so I usually rely on cruise through the average sections.

Given time I'm sure you'll get average cameras in the South West! :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Cruise Control

Post by MikeyH » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 am

Yes we have them here, there is a set just up the road and I must admit that it is difficult to keep to the limit. It doesn’t help that the z4 speedometer is on the other side to the other vehicles I drive.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

smorris_12

Cruise Control

Post by smorris_12 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:14 pm

I looked round all the other BMs and it's a unique stalk to the E85. The E65 was fairly close but the mounting was different.

I use cruise all the time, round town, A-road, M-ways. Still not got the hang of the Z one compared to buttons on the wheel of my E46.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cruise Control

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 pm

I bought my first E46 in 2005 but didn't use cruise much as there were far fewer cameras then. :)

Replaced that in 2008 with a 1 Series that had the same type of stalk as the Z4s then got my first Z4 in June 2014. Bought another E46 in December 2014 as a daily and just couldn't get on with the buttons!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black