Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car sim card, API connection to BMW Company servers and privacy

Discussing the current generation Z4
Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:46 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:34 pm Err… this is a car enthusiasts forum. If you want to talk to people about conspiracies, everyone watching you etc then you need www.mulderandscully.theyarewatchingus.com.
Honestly? It’s a fact of life. You want progress and everything to hand at the flick of a mouse then you have to live with the consequences.
If you need me I’ll be out having fun with the car that led me to join this forum 😉👍🏻
Now now, stop telling noobie what to do enuff_zed, they don't want you replying without contributing. :headbang:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:48 pm

BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:45 pm I'm getting you used to what the Government will soon do with you, treating you like a child who doesn't behave... silly you.
Actually noob, all you are doing is supplying me with some light entertainment whilst the telly is crap. :rofl:

Image Image

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:52 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:48 pm
BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:45 pm I'm getting you used to what the Government will soon do with you, treating you like a child who doesn't behave... silly you.
Actually noob, all you are doing is supplying me with some light entertainment whilst the telly is crap. :rofl:
The telly.. ahhhh I understand now.. you are a normie.. those who drink all the s**t coming out that box where you learn how to think and what to think.
It'll be easy for the Government to switch off your car remotely when you raise your voice. You've already been brainwashed appropriately. Go get a bicycle so you're prepared.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 pm

BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:52 pm
The telly.. ahhhh I understand now.. you are a normie.. those who drink all the s**t coming out that box where you learn how to think and what to think.
It'll be easy for the Government to switch off your car remotely when you raise your voice. You've already been brainwashed appropriately. Go get a bicycle so you're prepared.
Barman? I’ll have a pint of what this chap is drinking 🙄
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 pm
BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:52 pm

My drink is called education, something that you don't have. Read some books. That will help you pay your expensive car without a lease...

Russ Z4

Post by Russ Z4 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:07 pm

Wait until you find out what your mobile divulges… or what the government gets from data sources without your jnkwhow anyway… check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect ... er_system) for starters… and then there’s also those sources they don’t tell you about…

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:09 pm

BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 pm
BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:52 pm The telly.. ahhhh I understand now.. you are a normie.. those who drink all the s**t coming out that box where you learn how to think and what to think.
My drink is called education, something that you don't have. Read some books. That will help you pay your expensive car without a lease...
That’s true! I recently realised a degree in aerospace engineering and a lifetime of experience makes me a dullard!!
Sorry to have interfered with your higher calling 🤣🤣🤣

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:20 pm

Russ Z4 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:07 pm Wait until you find out what your mobile divulges… or what the government gets from data sources without your jnkwhow anyway… check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect ... er_system) for starters… and then there’s also those sources they don’t tell you about…
I am aware of that, thanks for the link. My mobile divulges very little, believe me.
But this is yet one more reason not to continue down this route.
We already have evidence of invasive and questioning procedures that both private companies and the Govt use to collect data about everyone, and you have just highlighted one more.
This is why we should be more critical and put more pressure on car makers, questioning their design choices and challenging the way they are building new cars.
It's no one business where you go with your car and it's not acceptable to have a black box that can track you as if you were a criminal.

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:09 pm
BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 pm Barman? I’ll have a pint of what this chap is drinking 🙄
That’s true! I recently realised a degree in aerospace engineering and a lifetime of experience makes me a dullard!!
So you are a technician.. I'll give you a call when my washing machine breaks down. Cheers.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:31 pm

BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:09 pm
BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 pm My drink is called education, something that you don't have. Read some books. That will help you pay your expensive car without a lease...
So you are a technician.. I'll give you a call when my washing machine breaks down. Cheers.
If it is a highly technically advanced aerodynamic washing machine I’d be happy to help. If it is just a basic model that any numpty can sort out then I suggest you try a bit of DIY.
But never forget we will all be watching you :poke: :poke:

BMW_User

Post by BMW_User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:36 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:31 pm
BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:09 pm That’s true! I recently realised a degree in aerospace engineering and a lifetime of experience makes me a dullard!!
If it is a highly technically advanced aerodynamic washing machine I’d be happy to help. If it is just a basic model that any numpty can sort out then I suggest you try a bit of DIY.
The only thing you'll be watching is the telly sweetheart...

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:41 pm

BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:36 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:31 pm
BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 pm So you are a technician.. I'll give you a call when my washing machine breaks down. Cheers.
The only thing you'll be watching is the telly sweetheart...
If you intend to keep this banter at an intellectual level it appears you’d better get some support in old fruit. I find it exasperating to try to enjoy a meaningful exchange with someone who has to resort to banal rubbish at the first sign of an intelligent response.
5/10 must try harder 🤣🤣🤣

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:23 am

Well well, I do believe we have our very own little troll. One of the less intelligent ones alas, but hey still ours.
Unusual to see a troll in a tinfoil hat, so there is that I suppose.
I have a bike noob troll, great powers of observation. :rofl:

Image Image

StanDiego

Post by StanDiego » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:44 am

BMW_User wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:45 pm I am hoping people can see the shift towards a more and more centralized form of control in all aspects of our society, but sticking to the subject of cars that I have described above, has any of you thought about these problems and is anyone talking about this in the industry?
Are there associations of car drivers or car enthusiasts that are trying to put pressure on the Governments on this matter?
As far as I know, nobody is putting pressure on the governments because they see it as a necessary evil to enable all of the safety features.

I'm far more worried about the growing number of smart devices in our homes that regularly ping US, Chinese, and Russian websites 24x7 to verify network connectivity. Many of those devices have firmware that is difficult or impossible to update to patch security vulnerabilities. Some are appliances that have a lifespan of 10-20 years and firmware updates will cease long before they are replaced. It's not outrageous to imagine that your smart coffee pot could one day be turned into a botnet client.
2022 G29 s30i Black Sapphire Metallic / Magma Red / Shadowline / 799M Black spoke wheels "Darth ZEDer"

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:54 am

A friend of mine works in government and she isn’t allowed to have any Alexa type device at home. Guaranteed that the Chinese and Russians are listening in.
I have no such fear and couldn’t care less if they are listening to me spanking the monkey. ;)

On topic though, yes modern cars are all tech connected and new regulations about speed control and gadgets to control how we drive. We don’t have long left of driving pleasure.