Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 basic audio system upgrade

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mMark

Post by mMark » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:23 pm

Apologies for starting another topic on upgrading the audio system of the E85: I know there is already quite a lot written about this subject, but I still have some open questions. I am technical and know my way basic electronics, but don't have any knowledge on (car) audio systems.

I have the basic 6 speaker setup in my E85. I am certainly not an audiophile and hence also not looking to spend hundreds or Euro's, but the sound of the basic setup is quite disappointing. On this forum I have read a great how-to on installing the sound deadening in the doors and simultaneously adding some door speakers by splicing the cable that goes into the tweeter. That's already a significant improvement for little (32 Euro) investment!

So what I currently have:
- Original footwell speakers (2x)
- Original tweeters (2x)
- Hertz DCX100.3 in the doors (2x)
- Original speakers behind the seats (2x)
- Original head unit, which I would definitely like to keep. I use a Parrot bluetooth carkit for streaming music
- No amplifier. I actually use the space next to the battery for a bottle of oil, some spare lights etc.
- The cubby holes behind the seats are used for storage. I have BMW E46 M3 seats that I can easily tilt forward, so I can actually use the space :)

Which speakers are recommended to replace to improve the overall sound quality? And what are recommended drop-in replacement speakers? Making some brackets for mounting is not issue.
As said, I am not looking to spend hundreds of Euro's, but interested to know if replacing the OEM speakers will improve the quality.

I have read somebody using Kicker 6.75" 4 Ohm speakers (in parallel) for the footwell speakers, but perhaps there are other alternatives?
And since I prefer the cubby holes to remain storage space: what about a subwoofer that can be put under the seat, such as the Kenwood KSC-SW11? The reviews look good and it can be connected to the existing wiring going to the speakers without amplifier (which is integrated), correct? I am not expecting a strong bass, but a bit more than what I currently have would be nice.

Looking forward to any feedback / recommendations :)

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 am

I'm in the throws of doing similar (but life keeps getting in the way) but have decided that the cubbies (which I have been using) are going in place of a couple of Ground Zero subs. The sound as standard really lacks bass and, the more time goes on, the more I think I'm making the right choice. In my E46 Touring I (effectively) did away with the rear speakers and used a pair of amp'd 6x9s fed with a low-passed feed from the rear speaker connections to give me a small/psuedo sub effect and that was ever so effective. The radio fader then acted as a level control.

Haven't quite decided on much else so far, but am now going to look up your DCX100.3s....
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

mMark

Post by mMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:09 pm

I can really recommend adding the Hertz DCX100.3 (or something similar) in the doors: that is a huge improvement!

Do you already know what amplifier you will use?

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:04 pm

I haven't thought very hard about amps yet. I can't decide whether to amp the whole lot or just do the subs. Wanting to only use the factory space and not lose any boot I suspect that I'll just do the subs. I keep toying with the idea of getting the stock amp and seeing what that is capable of
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Carbonschwarz

Post by Carbonschwarz » Mon May 08, 2023 10:44 pm

Any updates in the meanwhile on this mMark?

I'm in a similar situation. Looking to upgrade my S662 Radio BMW Business CD system. Audio quality of this standard (6?) speaker system is simply dreadful. My must haves for the Zed were M54, manual 6-speed, and M seats. With that covered I'm now looking into some more nice to haves like the audio. With some longer trips coming up, would be good to make it a bit more enjoyable in the plastic fantastic cosy zed cabin when the roof is up.

What I understand so far:

- Tweeter wire can be split to tweeter wire + wire for (to be placed) door speakers. Any write up on this?
- Hertz DCX100.3 speakers can be fitted in the doors which are good bang for the buck (42 euro). Is this plug and play or do I need to buy certain brackets or screws to fit them in the doors?

Would like to keep things as simple, original, and plug and play as possible. Is there any other parts besides the door speakers that make sense to upgrade without too much effort? I do want to keep the original current head unit which is connected to my bluetooth devices and carkit. I can do without the storage compartments behind the seats, but only for plug and play solutions if available.