Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant leak - Rear of engine

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 pm

Unfortunately I have a coolant leak at the rear of the engine. The leak is dripping onto the exhaust manifold. It is dripping directly off of the engine next to a plastic plate bolted to the back of the engine.

The car is not overheating and runs ok. Although the heater is now only blowing out cold air.. It also seems to lose coolant at a slightly faster rate when I first top it up and then levels out.

Any idea’s what this might be?

I am obviously praying it is not the head gasket. Usually it would overheat if it was?!

I have read about ‘freeze plugs’ or ‘core plugs’ although I cannot find much about them to the point I’m not sure they exist! Incidentally, the issue first arose after we have had this bitterly cold weather.

Any idea’s?!
E85 2.0i 2007 Manual N46 Silver Grey

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:51 pm

I’d say the first place to check is where the coolant flows via hoses from the block to the heater core

There are usually an in and an out hose on the bulkhead
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:50 am

bigwinn wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:51 pm I’d say the first place to check is where the coolant flows via hoses from the block to the heater core

There are usually an in and an out hose on the bulkhead
Both pipes that feed the heater core are stone cold. I can see no leaks coming from these pipes out of the bulk head. I will double check again tomorrow once the car has been running again…

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:52 am

enuff_zed
do you have any other suggestions being more knowledgable of the 2.0 block?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am

I had a similar issue, which in my case turned out to be a failure of the auxiliary water pump, mounted on the left inner wing below and to the rear of the airbox. This allowed an airlock to form in the heater matrix.
Both pipes from the heater matrix run to the front of the engine bay. One from the auxiliary pump and the other back to the expansion tank.
Therefore thee only way they could produce water leaks at the rear of the block is if the water is spraying from them onto the back of the engine.
I'm at work today so cannot look at my engine to see what this plastic plate is?
If water is definitely coming from that then it needs investigating further (master of the bleedin' obvious! :roll: )
I suspect the coolant level dropping is what has created an airlock in the heater matrix and preventing coolant flowing through that.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:33 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am I had a similar issue, which in my case turned out to be a failure of the auxiliary water pump, mounted on the left inner wing below and to the rear of the airbox. This allowed an airlock to form in the heater matrix.
Both pipes from the heater matrix run to the front of the engine bay. One from the auxiliary pump and the other back to the expansion tank.
Therefore thee only way they could produce water leaks at the rear of the block is if the water is spraying from them onto the back of the engine.
I'm at work today so cannot look at my engine to see what this plastic plate is?
If water is definitely coming from that then it needs investigating further (master of the bleedin' obvious! :roll: )
I suspect the coolant level dropping is what has created an airlock in the heater matrix and preventing coolant flowing through that.
Hi enuff_zed, thanks for your input. So it seems that the part that I mentioned previously being attached to the back of the engine block is called a ‘cover plate’. It’s sort of shaped like a vent, one larger and one smaller circle and is sealed on with O rings. See this link (part number 17)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 1537583666

I will have another check around the area this evening. Blown Head gaskets are usually an internal leak aren’t they?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:08 pm

Robin82 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:33 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am I had a similar issue, which in my case turned out to be a failure of the auxiliary water pump, mounted on the left inner wing below and to the rear of the airbox. This allowed an airlock to form in the heater matrix.
Hi enuff_zed, thanks for your input. So it seems that the part that I mentioned previously being attached to the back of the engine block is called a ‘cover plate’. It’s sort of shaped like a vent, one larger and one smaller circle and is sealed on with O rings. See this link (part number 17)

I will have another check around the area this evening. Blown Head gaskets are usually an internal leak aren’t they?
Would be most unusual to have a head gasket pour water out of the head. Plus it would do it under greater pressure and probably come out as steam. I did see that cover plate on realoem this morning actually. Apart from losing more coolant it looks simple enough to fit new seals.
They are a pig to fill and bleed though. Put the front end up on ramps to make the expansion tank the highest point and fill slowly. Then start the engine and continue to fill. Even then it's 50:50. Maybe worth asking a garage to bleed it using their fancy vacuum systems?

Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:11 pm

So after further investigations around the rear block I’m
90% sure the leak is coming from this ‘cover plate’ and the. Dripping a few inches further along and off the corner of the engine and onto the exhaust.

I’m not sure of the purpose of this cover plate. It doesn’t seem to serve one :roll:

I should be able to get a small socket wrench in behind the block and the heat shield. Will be a little fiddly but should be ok.

I’m also assuming I have the mother of all air locks in the system too…

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm

Robin82 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:11 pm So after further investigations around the rear block I’m
90% sure the leak is coming from this ‘cover plate’ and the. Dripping a few inches further along and off the corner of the engine and onto the exhaust.

I’m not sure of the purpose of this cover plate. It doesn’t seem to serve one :roll:

I should be able to get a small socket wrench in behind the block and the heat shield. Will be a little fiddly but should be ok.

While you're in there, pop the two pipes off the heater matrix and blast through with a hose pipe, swapping directions every now and then. It won't shift an airlock, but if nothing has been going through there for a while the sludge will have started to settle. Get it out while you can.

Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:18 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:08 pm
Robin82 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:33 pm

Would be most unusual to have a head gasket pour water out of the head. Plus it would do it under greater pressure and probably come out as steam. I did see that cover plate on realoem this morning actually. Apart from losing more coolant it looks simple enough to fit new seals.
They are a pig to fill and bleed though. Put the front end up on ramps to make the expansion tank the highest point and fill slowly. Then start the engine and continue to fill. Even then it's 50:50. Maybe worth asking a garage to bleed it using their fancy vacuum systems?
Ah I posted as you responded. Yes I’ve never had so many issues with ‘air locks’ in a coolant system. I had a few horrendous air locks when I first bought the car 4 years ago. In the end I had to park it on a steep hill with the front end up, open the cap, run the engine with my partner pumping the throttle whilst I used a 5L water bottle upside down pushed into the expansion tank. The vacuum it created did the trick though with a volcano of air eventually coming out.

I own a jack now so should be a little easier :lol:

Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:19 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm
Robin82 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:11 pm So after further investigations around the rear block I’m

While you're in there, pop the two pipes off the heater matrix and blast through with a hose pipe, swapping directions every now and then. It won't shift an airlock, but if nothing has been going through there for a while the sludge will have started to settle. Get it out while you can.
I certainly will give this a go! Thanks!

Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:50 pm

Unfortunately still not solved completely!!

So an update on the above; cover plate replaced on rear of cylinder head - leak stopped.
Hose replaced on front of cylinder block (top) - leak stopped

I thought that had them covered but no, there is dripping coming from the bottom of the engine block, front drivers side of the block.. it is so difficult to find the source of this.

Any idea’s of potential source? It is very difficult to get any kind of view of this area. I can see no other hose leaks but I’m not sure…

No overheating of the engine at all either. I have noticed water pooling a little in the exhaust however, but I’m probably being paranoid.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:08 pm

Drivers side front of the block is the water pump. Could be running down from that?

Robin82

Post by Robin82 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:23 pm

Yes you could well be right. I should say offside, is this where the pump is located? Maybe a hose that connects to the pump..
I’ll take the splash pan away and have a look from underneath.

Much of a job, changing the pump?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:29 pm

Robin82 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:23 pm Yes you could well be right. I should say offside, is this where the pump is located? Maybe a hose that connects to the pump..
I’ll take the splash pan away and have a look from underneath.

Much of a job, changing the pump?
Yes offside.
Not done one on a 2.0, but it does look fairly straightforward. At least there's plenty of room in there.