Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Manual passenger seat stuck

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:31 pm

I know there's already a few thread documenting stuck electric seats, but none that I can find about manual ones.

My passenger seat has been stuck fully back ever since I bought the car, which hasn't been an issue until now, when I want to fit new ones. I can't access the rear bolts holding it in.

No about of force will push it forward, nor can I see anything stuck in the mechanism. The lever is working as intended, so I'm straight out of ideas :cry:

Any ideas? Or is there a way of removing them?

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:47 pm

Sorry for the bump, but I'm pulling my hair out over this :cry:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:58 pm

I was thinking this one over

I’m thinking there is either something preventing the movement (stuck in the runner like a coin) or the lever moves but isn’t connected

The last option albeit v difficult is to separate the seat from the base/runner to see if that allows movement forward
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:26 pm

bigwinn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:58 pm I was thinking this one over

I’m thinking there is either something preventing the movement (stuck in the runner like a coin) or the lever moves but isn’t connected

The last option albeit v difficult is to separate the seat from the base/runner to see if that allows movement forward
Thanks bigwinn, while having a look through the runner, I can see the pin lifting from the runner when I lift the lever, so I don't think that's holding it. I only saw a pin on one side, is that normal?

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 pm

Could it have somehow jumped off the runner and become jammed in the same way that a cupboard draw would?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:34 pm

skmattwell wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:26 pm
bigwinn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:58 pm I was thinking this one over

Thanks bigwinn, while having a look through the runner, I can see the pin lifting from the runner when I lift the lever, so I don't think that's holding it. I only saw a pin on one side, is that normal?
that’s normal it’s one side only for the lever

If you can see that moving and there is nothing obvious in the track I would start to look at trying to get levered force on the runners to move forward

I’ve had an object stuck in the runners before that you couldn’t see

Brute force and ignorance…
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 pm

Have you got the front nuts off? I know they are on studs but you 'may' get enough of a wiggle to overcome whatever is stopping it moving.
Is the seat fully back? Could try forcing it further back to see if that frees it too?
Do you get any more room for manoeuvre if you raise the seat base to it's highest setting?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 pm Have you got the front nuts off? I know they are on studs but you 'may' get enough of a wiggle to overcome whatever is stopping it moving.
Is the seat fully back? Could try forcing it further back to see if that frees it too?
Do you get any more room for manoeuvre if you raise the seat base to it's highest setting?
Have tried moving the seat either direction with the seat fully raised and lowered with no luck.

I can however get the front nuts off, so will give that a try and see if something gives.

At the end of the day I'm happy to destroy the seat if it means removing it, as long as I don't have an airbag blow up in my face (I have already disconnected the battery)

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm

Waving the white flag of removing it the traditional way, no amount of force will get this b***** out :headbang:

Do you know of any guides on how to remove the seat from the rail? Or shall I start undoing every nut in sight :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:15 pm

skmattwell wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm Waving the white flag of removing it the traditional way, no amount of force will get this b***** out :headbang:

Do you know of any guides on how to remove the seat from the rail? Or shall I start undoing every nut in sight :D
Are your replacement seats Z4 ones?
If so, look at them and you should be able to work it out.

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:35 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:15 pm
skmattwell wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm Waving the white flag of removing it the traditional way, no amount of force will get this b***** out :headbang:

They are, but they're sport seats, so presumed the mechanism might be completely different

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:58 pm

skmattwell wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:35 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:15 pm

They are, but they're sport seats, so presumed the mechanism might be completely different
Possibly, but knowing BMW there is a fair chance the runners are the same and that's what you need to unbolt.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 pm

Runners are same I think, as are lower mechs and seat bases

EWS Delete PM me

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:32 pm

Thanks guys, will be tackling this over the weekend and keep you updated on the fun and games!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:51 pm

Always here to 'bolster' your morale if needed. :D