Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Manual passenger seat stuck

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:49 pm

I am asking as I honestly cannot remember so ignore me if I'm talking squit.
Do the rear bolts project through under the car or are they fully enclosed? Just wondering if you could drill it out from underneath?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:54 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:49 pm I am asking as I honestly cannot remember so ignore me if I'm talking squit.
Do the rear bolts project through under the car or are they fully enclosed? Just wondering if you could drill it out from underneath?
They are protected unfortunately. I could easily get this rail out if I saw through the bolt from under the rail, it will just leave me with the rest of the bolt stuck in the threads, which makes for more work. Do you think drilling the stuck bolt out of the thread would be simple enough?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:03 pm

skmattwell wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:54 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:49 pm I am asking as I honestly cannot remember so ignore me if I'm talking squit.
They are protected unfortunately. I could easily get this rail out if I saw through the bolt from under the rail, it will just leave me with the rest of the bolt stuck in the threads, which makes for more work. Do you think drilling the stuck bolt out of the thread would be simple enough?
I think you'd be ok with an Eezi-out kit. The bolts aren't usually too tight.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:03 pm
skmattwell wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:54 pm
If the other bolt was anything to go by, It was pretty well seated in there. If Eezi-out doesn't work, would it be a case of drilling it out?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:23 pm

skmattwell wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:03 pm
skmattwell wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:54 pm They are protected unfortunately. I could easily get this rail out if I saw through the bolt from under the rail, it will just leave me with the rest of the bolt stuck in the threads, which makes for more work. Do you think drilling the stuck bolt out of the thread would be simple enough?
If the other bolt was anything to go by, It was pretty well seated in there. If Eezi-out doesn't work, would it be a case of drilling it out?
Well you need to drill a hole first to fit the extractor into. Then if that doesn't work it's slowly open it out until it comes loose, without damaging the threads.
Sometimes the heat from drilling is enough to help loosen it a little.

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:00 pm

skmattwell wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:45 pm If that doesn't work, I think cutting through the bolt is the only option left. Unless anyone has any better ideas of course
Just read through this thread, tough situation, I would remove that seat belt receiver/ explosive belt tightener and get it out of the way while it is still in good shape.
You may have to go caveman on the rail and you don't want the charge going off.
If you can't get that rail to move by hitting alternately on both ends then you'll have to get a sawsall with a metal cutting blade between the carpet and the rail, then drill out the rusty bolt.
Either way you probably won't be able to use that rail again.

That yellow zinc flange that goes over the top of the spring I think is the lock mechanism that holds the rail in place, the problem is most likely there.
Have you tried getting that moving? Or perhaps you could drill out the studs hold that flange.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:19 pm

There is a lot of rust there, it could be the inner and outer rail have simply fused together. Have you tried giving the inner rail a whack in the backwards direction to break the fuse, obviously making sure the locking mechanism is unlatched. You really want to uncover that bolt and extract it normally if you can.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:33 pm

grannyknot wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:00 pm
skmattwell wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:45 pm If that doesn't work, I think cutting through the bolt is the only option left. Unless anyone has any better ideas of course
Just read through this thread, tough situation, I would remove that seat belt receiver/ explosive belt tightener and get it out of the way while it is still in good shape.
You may have to go caveman on the rail and you don't want the charge going off.
If you can't get that rail to move by hitting alternately on both ends then you'll have to get a sawsall with a metal cutting blade between the carpet and the rail, then drill out the rusty bolt.
Either way you probably won't be able to use that rail again.

That yellow zinc flange that goes over the top of the spring I think is the lock mechanism that holds the rail in place, the problem is most likely there.
Have you tried getting that moving? Or perhaps you could drill out the studs hold that flange.
Hi mate, thanks for giving it a read, I'm at the final hurdle now!

I've looked through the rail and verified the locking pin is releasing as it should, so I think that's been ruled out as the culprit.

Another forum member is coming round with a recip and angle grinder to help me out tomorrow, so hopefully we can get it cut through once and for all. The rail and seat is going to the skip, so I have no qualms destroying it :D I have the tools to cut through the bolt, but don't want the headache of trying to remove it from the threads, so it's a last resort.
Zedebee wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:19 pm There is a lot of rust there, it could be the inner and outer rail have simply fused together. Have you tried giving the inner rail a whack in the backwards direction to break the fuse, obviously making sure the locking mechanism is unlatched. You really want to uncover that bolt and extract it normally if you can.
Will give it another go tonight, but have hammered away in both directions without an inch of movement :cry: I agree that the rails are so rusty I think they've fused together. If we manage to cut the rail in two near where the bolt is, hopefully it will remove the blockage

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:42 pm

IT'S OUT!!
Finally after hours of trying, the stubborn seat rail has finally been removed, all without cutting through the bolt. Fellow forum member chemical.equal (thanks again) got his angle grinder out and cut out the rail above the bolt
IMG_20230203_164304867.jpg
IMG_20230203_164304867.jpg (182.66 KiB) Viewed 305 times
And here it is, my kryptonite...
IMG_20230203_173722996.jpg
IMG_20230203_173722996.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Between us we used an angle grinder, and oscillating multi tool for more tricky cuts, to expose the bolt. It was really in there, but managed to finally wrench it out.

My final update will come over the weekend when I get to put in my new seats!! Thanks everyone for your help again, every suggestion (even if it might not have directly worked) contributed to getting this thing out

DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:51 pm

Having the rail out from the car, did you find out why it got stuck?
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:14 pm

DMike wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:51 pm Having the rail out from the car, did you find out why it got stuck?
Nope, we both inspected the rail and are baffled. We removed the locking pin completely to verify it wasn't that and looking through the rail shows no blockages. We've put it down to rust fusing itself together very, very well

Usel

Post by Usel » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:35 pm

Even your hand shows the trauma this has been :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well done on getting it out!! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 pm

Congratulations to you both on finally getting there. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:13 pm

YEA!!! Good work.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:29 pm

Glad you got that out. Great photo, and glad to see chemical.equal277 wearing the appropriate PPE.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe