Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel Change & TPMS

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
craigdm

Wheel Change & TPMS

Post by craigdm » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:32 am

New wheels should be arriving soon, complete with new TPMS valves that have already been coded to the vehicle.

Is there anything specific I need to do with iDrive when changing the wheels or will it automatically recognise the new wheels in the correct locations? I assume there's a separate reader located next to each wheel?
Z3 rare 2L Straight 6. Should have kept it!
E85 3.0Si sold back in 2014. Should have kept it!
E89 20i just arrived 2021

spitfun

Wheel Change & TPMS

Post by spitfun » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:02 pm

I put new tires on my car recently and had the tpms sensors all changed. Whatever brand they sell at Discount Tire coded fine,they did the procedure at the store but I think they are just plug and play... He told me to just drive it a bit to reset the sensors if the light was on,after a couple of miles it went out and never returned..
2012 Z4 Sdrive35i M Sport manual

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Wheel Change & TPMS

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:09 pm

Yes there are 4 sensors near each wheel, do a TPMS reset in the iDrive menu..sorted.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

craigdm

Wheel Change & TPMS

Post by craigdm » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:13 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies; certainly set my mind at rest for now!
Z3 rare 2L Straight 6. Should have kept it!
E85 3.0Si sold back in 2014. Should have kept it!
E89 20i just arrived 2021

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel Change & TPMS

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:22 pm

As long as the new sensors are the same frequency as the old, you don't need to do anything. The car will recognise the signals the same as if they were the old ones.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Wheel Change & TPMS

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:33 pm

I know Pondrew knows all things about all matters but I respectfully point out what the BMW workshop manuals says..

Please note last lines of the guidance.. :thumbsup:

Overall function
The TPM monitors the tyre pressure whilst the vehicle is being driven. The tyre pressure to be monitored is specified by the driver. Using the control function in the control centre or the TPM button, the driver instructs the system to adopt the current tyre pressure as setpoint pressure (reset). The plausibility of the setpoint value is checked before the RDC control unit adopts it (axle-wise comparison of the nominal pressures, minimum pressures). A reset is only possible when the tyre pressure on all wheels is at least 1.6 bar. If the tyre pressure of one wheel falls below this limit, a Check Control message is issued immediately. If the pressure difference between the wheels on one axle is > 0.4 bar, the reset is rejected following a plausibility check. A Check Control message is output. Remedy: set tyre pressures to the correct values and then run the reset once again.

Internal sequence after activated adaptation process (reset):

Recognition of the fitted wheel electronics systems
Identifying the position of the wheel electronics systems
Plausibility check by checking the target pressures
Adoption of the specified pressures as nominal pressures
On comparison of the current tyre inflation pressure with the target pressure, the air temperature is taken into account. On the basis of the nominal pressure and temperature during the reset, the RDC calculates the limit values for the tyre pressure valid for the current air temperature. The tyre pressure increases by 0.1 bar per 10 °C increase in temperature. If the temperature-evaluated values are not reached, the RDC issues a Check Control message.

RDC reset
In the case of vehicles without iDrive , the RDC is reset by a button in the centre console control panel. This TPM button must be pressed for 4 seconds. On vehicles with iDrive, the RDC is reset via the menu item: Settings/Vehicle/RDC/Reset. In general, the reset can be carried out with the ignition on or engine on (only when vehicle is stationary).

Notes for Service department
Diagnosis instructions
Important! Preconditions for reset.
The RDC must be reset in the following cases:
The tyre pressure is changed.
A wheel exchange is carried out. The exchanged wheels must be equipped with the correct wheel electronics systems.
Axle-wise wheel exchange on the vehicle.
Diagnosis instruction
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel Change & TPMS

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:31 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:33 pm I know Pondrew knows all things about all matters
At last, recognition of my superior intellect!
Thanks Pete :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!