Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine reliability first but how much?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:34 pm

So with me being new to the e86 engine and with 100k on the clock I'm thinking my first expenditure will be trying to get good reliability.
My question is therefore the rough cost for the following (parts costs)

Vanos solenoids
Coil packs
Water pump
Disa valve
Belts
Expansion tank
OE springs
OE shocks ( or recommendations non OE of these and springs
Brake disc (or non OE recommendations
Rocker gasket
Suspension bushes

If there is anything that I've missed please let me know.
Time and effort spent detailing and deep cleaning or repairing leather isn't a big outlay, but 3k I saved on buying this very cheap coupe (I'd budgeted to pay 10/11k) I plan to put toward revamping it mechanically which I think makes sense? Any hints or tips on where to purchase these parts would be very much appreciated. :thumbsup:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport šŸ’™ (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:33 am

I can't offer much help here, but if you buy a water pump don't go to BMW - they'll charge you over Ā£500 for one. :o

Pierburg were the OE supplier and you should be able to find one for not much more than half that! - even if the BMW logo has been ground off!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 am

Depends which engine you have - the M54 has a mechanical water pump which is about Ā£40.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:44 am

Rockhopper wrote: ā†‘Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 am Depends which engine you have - the M54 has a mechanical water pump which is about Ā£40.
ā€œSo with me being new to the e86 engineā€ - N52.
At 100k the original water pump may already have been changed, but definitely worth doing otherwise.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:58 am

Agree the water pump should be checked as I believe these give no warning before they fail.
Belts - should be able to see them and decide for yourself what state they are in.
Expansion tank - I would suggest if it isn't leaking then get a spare in stock for now. When you change the water pump it may put extra strain on the rest of the system, so then would be a good time to do the tank too.
Plugs and coils - if it's running fine I would leave them as they are, but perhaps buy some to be ready.
If you go to Autodoc for the water pump then it makes sense to order some of the other bits at the same time to keep the delivery cost down.
Suspension is hard to say, depending on any evidence it has been changed before and then what kind of ride you want. Check the front top mounts for signs of cracking round the rubber. If they need doing then it makes sense to do all of it at the same time as it has to come apart anyway.
Rocker gasket - if it ain't leaking leave it alone, but again, worth having a spare. Get a good make as I fell foul of a cheapo one before. I've since used Elring with no issues.
Disa valve - sorry no experience of them on this engine.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:16 pm

Food for thought and some helpful information.
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport šŸ’™ (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Enigmatik

Post by Enigmatik » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:11 pm

I bought 2 vanos solenoids, both cam sensors, was around Ā£240 when Autodoc had 41 percent off. Got VDO items. Also bought 2 vanos check valves/filters from BMW to do at same time, they were Ā£64 for pair. This on a n52 2.5. Mine might have more mileage than average at around 130k so doing as preventative. Rocker valve was done around October, I bought bolts, as 2006, so metal cover, rocker valve cover, valvetronic motor gasket, eccentric sensor gasket, fan belt, Victor Reinz for gaskets, Gates belt, all from Autodoc around Ā£60. In hindsight should have done eccentric shaft sensor at same time as valve cover was off. Did plugs as was in there, Ā£80. CCV was done, as were oil filter housing and cooler. Ā£107 for CCV and inlet manifold gaskets. Ā£30 for filter housing and cooler gaskets. This year will be brakes, suspension, wheels and tyres. :cry:

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:41 pm

Thanks for sharing this information, Autodoc seems the place to go then :thumbsup: