Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OEM Bluetooth not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
.adam.

Post by .adam. » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:19 pm

I can't seem to get the bluetooth on my new to me car working. Mine is a nav standard system, I believe on the pop up dash screen, one of the menu options should be telephone, which I haven't got? Going from the VIN I should have it installed, and I've got the mic by the steering wheel, and the connect button on the door in the centre cubby.
I've tried pulling the fuse for 30 mins, but with no luck. Is there anything else I can try? The car had a new battery just before I got it, could this have caused a problem?

bquan94545

Post by bquan94545 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:22 am

I'm no expert at this by any means. My car just came out of mothballs and the battery was dead. I put a new battery in it
and several things didn't work due to the "travel mode " needing to be turned off. However before I had that done
my mediabridge stuff worked, after they reactivated the car it stopped working. I'm trying to track down the problem. But have
you had someone plug in and run diagnostics to make sure all is well with everything else?
BTW when they first went to turn off the travel mode on my car it didn't work. The first mechanic went through module by module to reset
each section of the car and then went to reset the travel mode. It didnt work... however later when I went back to tell them my
phone connection didn't work, they accidently got he travel mode working by doing a general global reset. But my BT still doesn't work
but at lest the phone does. Bottom line.. Id get someone to plug in and see if something didn't turn back on when the new battery
was installed.

good luck

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:45 am

You’ll need an iphone from circa 2008 or older for the BT to work.
It’s well known that the onboard bt module is totally incompatible with most modern phones.
I have it too and its completely redundant.
I now use an mpow bt dongle via the built in ipod dock cable for only music.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

bquan94545

Post by bquan94545 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:12 pm

Thanks for replying. However it was working on my android Huawei P20 PRO (not a good thing to say in the US).
I stayed up most of the night thinking about it and I'm going to try tracing the cable
harness back to the box using my old telephone (way before digital) wire chaser. If I find it the next question would be what
to do with it? You would think putting a new battery in the car would cause it to reboot!

bquan94545

Post by bquan94545 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:52 am

can anyone tell me what will happen if I reset the radio? I am missing features that were there before the battery got replaced.
Using the mode button allows me to change between radio and CD, nothing else. I was going to take into the BMW dealer but
decided not to when they told me it was going to cost $285 an hour for them to look at it.