Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re map.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mcbutler

Re map.

Post by mcbutler » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:20 pm

tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:04 pm
mcbutler wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:09 pm
Silverstar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 pm What's interesting is how everyone with a 23i or 30i NA engine that has a remap have come to same conclusion i.e. makes the car more responsive and better to drive.

One of the points mentioned by the OP is removal of the throttle lag, I achieved by fitting a second hand throttle pedal box for £50. I was contemplating weather to remap the car (30i) as well but that will cost around 250€ or more and I wonder how much more of a difference it can add on top of the throttle pedal box I already have.
Most low power sports cars have a staged throttle response for example a 15% depression of the pedal gives 45% throttle, or any other amount the manufacturer specifies.
(My daughter has a brand new 1.2 turbo corsa, the pickup on that little car is epic as a direct result of the pedal mapping)
On more powerful cars you can map the throttle response to 'linear' or 1-1 so a 10% pedal gives 10% throttle and so on. Makes the car a lot more predictable and easier to control.
You dont need to buy boxes etc to do this, MHD for example can do it on the N54 - not sure if N52 is covered though.
This is what comes to my mind every time I read "remap made my car more responsive". They've just changed the throttle settings.
It could be the case, one reason why any remap (outside of MHD/XHP etc which have a great reputation) has little real value without a dyno before and after to back up any claims
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Re map.

Post by Silverstar » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:33 pm

mcbutler wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:20 pm It could be the case, one reason why any remap (outside of MHD/XHP etc which have a great reputation) has little real value without a dyno before and after to back up any claims
I take it this really is only to see the BHP and torque gains after remapping? Wouldn't really help on the 23i and 30i where we know there is hardly any power gains.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mcbutler

Re map.

Post by mcbutler » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:54 pm

Silverstar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:33 pm
mcbutler wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:20 pm It could be the case, one reason why any remap (outside of MHD/XHP etc which have a great reputation) has little real value without a dyno before and after to back up any claims
I take it this really is only to see the BHP and torque gains after remapping? Wouldn't really help on the 23i and 30i where we know there is hardly any power gains.
I had my 23i mapped by celtic, the dyno reading was actually really interesting, no real term gains in either BHP (about 6BBHP) or Torque (cant remember the figure at all) but the Torque curve in particular was changed.
The car pulled a lot better and the power delivery was far better matched to the manual box. After the map it was a brilliant drivers car, you could make is sing in 3rd gear through the twisties over Dartmoor.
Maps are not all about raw power gains, the balance of torque to BHP delivery with regard to the ger ratios are just as important.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Re map.

Post by Silverstar » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:30 am

mcbutler wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:54 pm
Silverstar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:33 pm
I had my 23i mapped by celtic, the dyno reading was actually really interesting, no real term gains in either BHP (about 6BBHP) or Torque (cant remember the figure at all) but the Torque curve in particular was changed.
The car pulled a lot better and the power delivery was far better matched to the manual box. After the map it was a brilliant drivers car, you could make is sing in 3rd gear through the twisties over Dartmoor.
Maps are not all about raw power gains, the balance of torque to BHP delivery with regard to the ger ratios are just as important.
If the torque curve changed then I think that would be more than remapping the throttle. Maybe I would be better off getting mine remapped but for the fact that there is no real power gain I am reluctant to pay around 280€ what my local Celtic remapper wants, half that price I would do it.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mcbutler

Re map.

Post by mcbutler » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:59 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:30 am
mcbutler wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:54 pm
Silverstar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:33 pm I take it this really is only to see the BHP and torque gains after remapping? Wouldn't really help on the 23i and 30i where we know there is hardly any power gains.
If the torque curve changed then I think that would be more than remapping the throttle. Maybe I would be better off getting mine remapped but for the fact that there is no real power gain I am reluctant to pay around 280€ what my local Celtic remapper wants, half that price I would do it.
Yes - I would certainly remap a 23i again if I bought one and I presume the 3.0i would be even better as it has more torque anyways. With Celtic they let you test drive it after the work, if you aint happy you dont pay.
Might be a good route to follow.....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather