Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Window switch or something else?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:01 pm

My drivers window has started playing up, but not sure if it's just the switch of something more serious.

When I push down the window goes down as normal, when I push up the window goes down again! After a few tries I can get it up again (no joke intended)

Is this just an issue with the contacts in the switch?

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:55 pm

Not wishing to turn this into a carry on sketch :lol: but does it sound like it’s struggling when it goes up? If so it could be the anti trap system (stop it :D ) kicking in because the window mech is on its way out. Mine did that for a while before I just replaced the mech and it’s all fine now :-)
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:10 pm

groovy_hippy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:55 pm Not wishing to turn this into a carry on sketch :lol: but does it sound like it’s struggling when it goes up? If so it could be the anti trap system (stop it :D ) kicking in because the window mech is on its way out. Mine did that for a while before I just replaced the mech and it’s all fine now :-)
When it does decide to go up, it doesn't struggle at all :lol:
But most of the time it will go down immediately as if I've pressed down on the switch. Could it just be worn contacts or moisture causing this? It has been a little damp inside due to the weather

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:31 pm

I think that is something to do with an anti-trap device. If it detects a restriction it automatically goes back down before it removes a small child's fingers.
Mine does it occasionally, particularly in colder weather when I guess the grease in the runners is harder, or if there is a bit of debris caught in the seal.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: