Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

collant light turn on and off while driving

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
namburger

Post by namburger » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:06 pm

It'd turn on and off on it's own while I'm driving.
- I tried different readers but none of them return any fault.
- I checked the koolant level and it looked ok, so I don't believe there are leaks or anything.

I don't have the user manual, would love to know what I should be looking into...
Is it just time to replace the coolant? The only reason why I haven't done it yet is because my engine never overheat so I don't think the coolant is a problem.
Last edited by namburger on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:13 pm

Hi, I suspect it is most likely to be the sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank.
This is a simple push and twist fit and sits in a dry tube so you won't lose any coolant swapping it over.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

namburger

Post by namburger » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:18 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:13 pm Hi, I suspect it is most likely to be the sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank.
This is a simple push and twist fit and sits in a dry tube so you won't lose any coolant swapping it over.
Thanks, I just saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GNIwCeU2og
will take a look at it tonight, maybe i'll just replace it and see if it's the issue

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:23 pm

namburger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:18 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:13 pm Hi, I suspect it is most likely to be the sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank.
Thanks, I just saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GNIwCeU2og
will take a look at it tonight, maybe i'll just replace it and see if it's the issue
Relatively cheap and a quick job if you have small hands.
If you can't see what you're doing then it is more easily visible from underneath with the undertray removed.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

namburger

Post by namburger » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:19 am

crap... is this too much coolant? :headbang:

I essentially lifted up the car and got to the sensor quite easily, however the sensor isn't delivered yet so I can only do a quick visual inspection of it. While I'm at it, I decided to add a little coolant for what ever reason... and the stick didn't really move... and I kept pooring.. untill it got really high...

do I need to drain some? :cry: :cry:
Attachments
coolant1.jpg
coolant1.jpg (128.28 KiB) Viewed 181 times
coolant2.jpg
coolant2.jpg (196.85 KiB) Viewed 181 times