Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Members - Purchased a Z4!

First port of call for new members
W and D

Post by W and D » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:52 am

Ok Thought I would join. I have always been a Maserati fan and owner. Our second Mercedes A150 was forced off the road and I was looking for a replacement and somehow in my searches I saw a little Z4 ad. Amazed how cheap they were in terms of quality of vehicle. I have had a Alfa Quattrofoglio and a very nice Maserati Biturbo convertible so had a few ideas. Anyway, tried to buy a few and then a risky one came up on a van website. Story was that someone cracked their garage and took out their pride and joy as they needed a new work van. 53000 miles and full service history. 4 hours listed and a deposit was sent. I broke all my own rules for buying a popped on a plane from Northern Ireland and went to the van site with much trepidation. However, the car was like new. Aside from one small -very small- rock chip sized dink from lazy fuelling the car looked and drove like a new car. I don't think if you bought one off the showroom it would have been any different. It does have a few things that seem to be M Performance "add ons" but I am not sure as the build does have some M Performance specs. Like the wheels etc. Anyway, I will be taking it in for a full new purchase service and review but it drove home and over the ferry etc like a champion.
Welcome any comments on the car also.
IMG_2748.jpeg
IMG_2748.jpeg (204.82 KiB) Viewed 762 times
IMG_2747.jpeg
IMG_2747.jpeg (232.35 KiB) Viewed 762 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:07 am

Welcome to the madhouse and well done for pics in your first post.
That does look a nice example even though it's been a bit 'M'd' up. The pedants will be upset by the M badges on the wings and the stripes on the front grille. But it's your car so do as you like.
I like the alloys. Almost 'M' style but subtly different. I'm sure someone will soon tell you what they are exactly.
What engine do you have in it? I think I can make out a twin tail pipe so M54 straight 6 in one guise or another?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

W and D

Post by W and D » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:16 am

Hi it is the 2.2i SE. I think the M Performance stickers look good on the side but I will likely take them off as one side is not straight :) If you are going to bling you at least should do it straight. However, they do look good on the black. The coloured vanes in the grill actually look really good on the car. Maybe I will leave them and blame the previous owner! The wheels do have M inset stamps but may not be genuine - I will have to find an expert to give me a view. A few things I noted that I will want to do: Fuel cap safety rubber holder is broken so I will need to source a new one. Also will definitely add the cup holders into the vent blockouts. Do I need to go with the BMW original or are the ones for sale good. At some point the roof motor will need to be repositioned also but it looks like this car may have been garaged mainly. Finally, I need to find a good detailer in Northern Ireland to do the paint, engine bay, brakes etc.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:26 am

Welcome to the forum from a fellow 2.2 owner, these are great little cars and always amaze me how zippy they are. Have lots of fun :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 am

The rubber fuel cap retainers are easy to source and fit.
I have used the Amazon copy cupholders and they are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Had them in wifey's car for three years with no issues.
Plenty of people over here who can relocate your roof motor for you.
If it's mainly garaged though I wouldn't rush. Maybe plan it in if you come over for a visit some time.
I would also consider checking out the disa valve to be sure it's not coming loose. Lots of info if you search the forum. Easy job to do too.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

W and D

Post by W and D » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:38 am

We are formerly from London so back often so likely we can be there from time to time. Will check on the disa valve. Thx

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:50 am

W and D wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:38 am We are formerly from London so back often so likely we can be there from time to time. Will check on the disa valve. Thx
Next time you're coming over, get back to us. I'm in Norfolk and there are others in Lincoln and Bristol who will happily move your roof motor for you.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:57 am

Nice looking Z4. Welcome to the board. :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:59 pm

Those wheels are bmw style 208, fitted to E87 1-series as an M-performance option. No reason to imagine they are not genuine, but not special. They look good on the car, which would probably have had a 17” (or even 16”) wheel from new.

Welcome to the forum.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

W and D

Post by W and D » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:33 pm

Zedebee wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:59 pm Those wheels are bmw style 208, fitted to E87 1-series as an M-performance option. No reason to imagine they are not genuine, but not special. They look good on the car, which would probably have had a 17” (or even 16”) wheel from new.

Welcome to the forum.
Interesting. They do look good but give a very sporty hard ride. Should I focus on keeping them or pick up an original set for the car and year. What is the view of owners? Also, any idea on the OEM wheels or was it a wide variety?

rocket70

Post by rocket70 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi all,

Ive posted a few times but thought I best introduce myself now im a proud owner of a Z4.

I went upto Birmingham today from Woking and purchased the Grey Z4MC that Adrian was advertising.

I've got to say the car is unreal and been so well looked after. This is the first time I've driven an M car and what an experience... The 3hr journey home was very enjoyable.
Looking forward to attending a few meets and seeing fellow Z owners.

Bryan
IMG_5275.jpg
IMG_5275.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 665 times

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:28 pm

rocket70 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:32 pm Hi all,

Ive posted a few times but thought I best introduce myself now im a proud owner of a Z4.

I went upto Birmingham today from Woking and purchased the Grey Z4MC that Adrian was advertising.

I've got to say the car is unreal and been so well looked after. This is the first time I've driven an M car and what an experience... The 3hr journey home was very enjoyable.
Looking forward to attending a few meets and seeing fellow Z owners.

Bryan

IMG_5275.jpg
Hi Bryan. You should start a new thread to introduce yourself, but welcome to the forum.
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:39 pm

W and D wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:33 pm
Zedebee wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:59 pm Those wheels are bmw style 208, fitted to E87 1-series as an M-performance option. No reason to imagine they are not genuine, but not special. They look good on the car, which would probably have had a 17” (or even 16”) wheel from new.

Welcome to the forum.
Interesting. They do look good but give a very sporty hard ride. Should I focus on keeping them or pick up an original set for the car and year. What is the view of owners? Also, any idea on the OEM wheels or was it a wide variety?
If you have a ridiculous ride, the chances are you have the OEM specified Bridgestone Potenza runflats on. Change these for almost anything else and your ride and steering will be immeasurably improved.

It is possible that your suspension is knackered and needs a refresh, or maybe the sporty ride is just not to your taste.

Have a look here to see what was available from BMW (filter for Z4). The standard fit was either style 104 (16”) for 2.2 I think or 103 (17”) on the larger engined models. Everything else was an expensive option. 108s and 135s are the most popular choices, with 107s also very desirable. 224s were the standard fit for Z4M cars.

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/Z/Z4-E85+

Generally good handling and ride is available with 18” wheels on the right tyres, but 19” can cause issues with “rubbing” and harsh ride. Personally I prefer 17” and deeper tyres, but then I’m not a particularly sporty driver.

W and D

Post by W and D » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 pm

Zedebee wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:39 pm I will check on the make of tyre.

I will of course get the suspension checked but there were no advisories and 53,000 miles only. In my driving experience it was tight and drove like a new car off the showroom floor. No squeaks, rattles or groans. For a convertible it was quiet except for the road noise coming up from the rear. Maybe a little tramlining on the rougher roads we have here.

I generally prefer a little more meat on the tyre, although the look of these is good. I will see how it goes and report back. There are some reasonable wheel sets for sale on ebay. Is there any way to get a build sheet to see what came on the car originally?

I did note after my very rainy drive back that there was some water gathering in the battery well area. Should there be a drain there and where would the ingress point be. Will get the garage cleaned out and put it in tomorrow so it will stay dry.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:53 pm

Try entering your VIN number into https://bimmer.work/ for the original spec sheet, but you’ll have to ignore the pop-up ads. There are other VIN decoder sites available.

I believe the usual ingress point for water in the battery well is where the rear light seals have perished, but there have been other causes reported. Try using the forum search facility.