Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oxfordshire

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:48 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:13 pm Smacks of Communism to me, stopping freedom of movement and choice. It would make me feel hemmed in.
This for me and the fact you can only leave your zone 100 times per household with a visa and are then fined if you go over - not great if you both work 10 miles away inapposite directions.

All about tasing funds - people are going to revolt against this as the extension to ULEZ in Londonovich
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:09 am

I hope they do. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by Nanu » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:48 pm

It's reported that some local councils are not giving permission for Tsar Khan to erect the cameras to enforce the system. So all a bit pointless for him.

Londoners don't get any sympathy from me. They voted for him :)
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Colin_E

Oxfordshire

Post by Colin_E » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:10 pm

Did anyone other than me take the trouble to google this "story" to get the facts?
#1 It's Oxford City rather than the county of Oxfordshire
#2 The city gets carved into 6 zones. If you don't live there you don't get to move from one zone to another directly. Instead you head back out to the ring-road and go around. It's a s**t ring-road so ...good luck with that.... but the journey isn't entirely prohibited.
#3 If you live there, you get a limited number of passes DIRECTLY from zone to zone. You still have the option of going out, around and back in without restriction.

Just to be clear, I'm absolutely not in favour of this kind of nonsense. I bothered to google only because I was appalled at the idea. A 'carrot' approach to build viable local communities would achieve far more than putting barriers up, but none of what I've just written is evident from previous posts on this thread so hopefully this adds a bit of clarity :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:38 pm

That does make things a lot clearer but still not good.
Its possibly making people travel further to get from A to B.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by MikeyH » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:08 am

And causing more pollution :headbang: This country is becoming less democratic as every year passes. :thumbsdown:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by Nanu » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 pm

Like most things relating to climate change and saving the planet, It looks and sounds fine but usually is impractical at best and generally useless

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

pvr
Legend
Legend

Oxfordshire

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:49 pm

Not much different from that they are suddenly realising that when it is -10 outside, there is generally no wind and little sun so the green energy doesn’t work when you need it most.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by Nanu » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:46 pm

Two page spread in the Mail today on the Oxford scheme and LTZ's in general. Things appear to be getting nasty in some places with locals and motorists rebelling.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:18 am

Good, because if they get away with in Oxford they will try it everywhere :headbang:

smorris_12

Oxfordshire

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am

I've been to Oxford a few times and never found it much worse than any other city to drive round so I'm not sure what problem they're trying to solve.

The trouble with these sorts of ideas is that the law of unintended consequences comes into play. People don't behave as a homogenous whole so trying to form a scheme to control where people do and don't go is, at best, odd behaviour and, at worst, insane. It's why mass transportation systems struggle to work compared to individuals owning a car. Admittedly I don't live anywhere near a city (thank $deity) but I can't imagine a single journey I do that would be feasible using a bus or train. I'm either carrying my own bodyweight in stuff with me or I'm doing unique journeys at odd times.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

SqerrNipz

Oxfordshire

Post by SqerrNipz » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:44 am

I live just outside Oxford and have worked in Oxford for 11 years. The city council are blatantly trying to turn the city into buses, taxis and cyclists only. Some of the the new ‘cyclist friendly’ road layouts are an absolute nightmare, combined with the LTN fiasco and turning most of the major roads into the city into 20mph limits. It’s carnage for motorists now, as the LTN’s just force traffic onto main roads, which are already clogged up at the best of times. Don’t get me started on the hired e-scooters!!! :headbang: :D

West Oxfordshire, where I live, is just as bad. Council spent millions on changing all the 30 limits into 20 limits, but most of them completely unnecessary. Can feel your life ebbing away now, pootling along at 20mph everywhere.
Proud owner of ‘Xavier’ - Maldive blue, 2004 3.0 auto. Heated/electric msports, style 107’s, gravity performance exhaust, E46 330i brakes, custom heated steering wheel, custom carbon intake, lots of other tweaks!

smorris_12

Oxfordshire

Post by smorris_12 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:19 am

Outside of a city centre, 20mph is the equivalent of walking along with your shoelaces tied together.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

ekimj10

Oxfordshire

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:08 pm

I know it was Qxford County Council but Clarkson's experience with them over his farm projects were insane. Good programme by the way.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Oxfordshire

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:24 pm

TBH every Council I have dealt with are utter knobheads.
All planning depts BTW.
South Oxfordshire DC was run by a load of crusty old gits who didn't like any changes to anything and had a power complex.
Wycombe DC were officious just for the sake of it.
South Holland DC are just bloody inept, lazy and clueless.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!