Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insurance claim, write off maybe, what next?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:05 pm

On the way home a tesla Y decided he didn't like my combustion engine vehicle so took a swipe at me
29B1612F-225F-47B6-93AC-C49DC51D2AD0.jpeg
29B1612F-225F-47B6-93AC-C49DC51D2AD0.jpeg (182.28 KiB) Viewed 624 times
No one was hurt thankfully and only minor damage to my car. Front OS wing and door and potentially the sill.

I have started a claim but knowing the cost for a professional repair will cause this to be a write off as it's not financially viable to repair.

So what to do next?

Buy the car back and repair knowing it will be a Cat N car afterwards.
Chance of montego body parts are slim but they do turn up.

Or.....

Let it go and think of a new car, M135i, M235i, Golf R, something fast and enjoyable. Audi TTS 🤷‍♂️
£20k max

Any thoughts or advice?

I do have a private plate so if I do decide to let the car go I will transfer that off.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:15 pm

dhobbs wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:05 pm Let it go and think of a new car, M135i, M235i, Golf R, something fast and enjoyable. Audi TTS
£20k max

Any thoughts or advice?
Yes do that. :thumbsup: I know someone with a 'very' nice 440i convertible for sale. Best of both worlds?? A bit more than £20k but less than 30k!
Just in case; a picture: :oops:
IMG_8684.JPG
IMG_8684.JPG (190.02 KiB) Viewed 618 times
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Buy back and repair, then sell or keep.
It's light panel damage and nothing more as far as I can see (any creases in the metal?)
So if you document/photgraph the before and after it won't make a difference to someone looking to get into Z ownership on the cheap with a Cat N car as long as you can make the sums work.
I reckon there's no more than 1.5-2k's worth of cost in it.
What's the mileage and condition in general.
If its a 6-pot it's def worth salvaging. maybe not so if it's a 4-pot.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:27 pm

That on a Cat N wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, nor the next owner if as already said photographic evidence kept of damage and repair and reflected in selling ask :thumbsup: .

The other thing is that damage is so minimal that insurance may repair unless there’s and damage not visible in the pictures.

Buggar either way when not of your own doing :thumbsdown:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

HGoward

Post by HGoward » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:33 pm

You could get a decent spec M240 for sub £20k with average mileage. I picked up my 240 with higher mileage, but good spec for £19K
    Sapphire Black E86 LN56 ZKJ Purchased Jan 2021 - Sold June 2022
    Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
    Eisenmann Quad Exhaust
    BMW Z4M Rear Bumper

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:49 pm

There'll be no sill damage on that, it's all plastic trim and minor panel damage. Easy fix. Up to you really, you'll need to sit down and do the sums on what the insurance will pay out if you let them write it off vs you buying it back, repairing it and then taking a minor hit on resale price when the time comes.

On a personal note I think it's a massive shame that cat cars carry such a stigma, it ruins the perception of otherwise perfectly good cars. It would be an awful shame not to repair and keep that car. Just my personal feelings on the matter!
    Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
    Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:16 pm

bigwinn would have those panels swapped in half a day!
    Just whether you can find the right colour or need a respray.
    Given the group of people on this forum who actively break cars I would suggest highlighting what you may need.
    If I were looking at one to break and already had a market for those panels it could swing my decision.
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:12 pm

It's a 3.0si and with high ish mileage of 134k. So the joint stigma of high mileage and Cat N :thumbsdown:

But as said on this forum that's not always a problem if documented and done on condition.
    3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:21 pm

I already replaced the nearside front wing due to paint issues so not a big issue doing the work. Maybe the door might be interesting, not done one before.

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:39 pm

dhobbs wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:21 pm I already replaced the nearside front wing due to paint issues so not a big issue doing the work. Maybe the door might be interesting, not done one before.
    Easier than you'd imagine tbh. Best with two people, especially refitting.
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

True-Blue
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:49 pm

Were you not thinking about an E89 anyway?

Can recommend the TTS, mine was very thirsty …but only because I’d fill it up and the Mrs kept borrowing it and not refilling it :roll:

Couldn’t keep her out of it :headbang:

It was very quick, and easier to pilot than the E85/E89 due to the seating position and better visibility.
    Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:08 pm

True-Blue wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:49 pm Were you not thinking about an E89 anyway?

Can recommend the TTS, mine was very thirsty …but only because I’d fill it up and the Mrs kept borrowing it and not refilling it :roll:

Couldn’t keep her out of it :headbang:

It was very quick, and easier to pilot than the E85/E89 due to the seating position and better visibility.
    Yeah I did think about the e89 but couldn't bring myself to let go of the e85. I did view one but when I looked back at my e85 it looked so damn good (that's my opinion though, don't want to start any arguments 😉)

I will wait for the evaluation but I doubt that will be much, 5k max I guess if I'm lucky.
    Maybe time for a change

bigwinn
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:37 pm

I’ll keep an eye out for a wing for you bud and happy to swap it over for you if you do keep it

:thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
    Coding- airbags etc PM me

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:02 pm

Cannot see that being a write off. From a few recent claims I have seen lately my guess would be around the £2k mark.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Mike6 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:02 pm Cannot see that being a write off. From a few recent claims I have seen lately my guess would be around the £2k mark.
    What's the percentage for a write off these days
    2k on a 5k car 20%.

Fingers crossed it isn't but who knows with the insurance companies these days