Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gatwick tip to avoid the £5 drop off

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:08 pm

Heathrow Airports Holdings Ltd who run all the big UK airports, have lost millions in revenue from airlines in the last few years thanks to covid. Charging punters through the nose for everything is a quick and easy way to start to recoup those losses.
Stansted is a good one. Every time I go there (quite often and going again next Tuesday) there are cars strewn all over the verges just outside the drop-off area to avoid the charges with people pulling their luggage across the grass to get to the terminal. Yet they have every road covered by ANPR cameras and signs warning of fines. They police this well so I heard.
The last three times I have gone through the drop-off road the barriers have been up and no fees payables. If you go at a busy time, the queue at the barriers backs up so quickly that it gridlocks the drop-off area, so they open the barriers to free it up.
So invariably it's cheaper to go to the right place; and a lot easier for travellers! :rofl:

Badly designed and poorly executed; imagine that in the UK?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm

Why do they have barriers? At Gatwick there is just the camera and if you drive through, payment is due.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:14 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm Why do they have barriers?
Possibly something to do with location. Stansted is in Essex, if they had cameras all the local girls would be taking selfies with them! :? :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:18 pm

N4LLY wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:21 pm
MikeyH wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:19 pm
N4LLY wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:17 pm Or drop off in the Premier inn car park. Should be not that much of a walk into the terminal ?
Aren’t they patrolled by those parking eye scum bags?
Not that i noticed last time i stayed there :?
A quick drive through should'nt be a problem.
Be careful with that idea. I dropped the wife off at our local eye infirmary and drove straight out again and received a parking charge notice from Parking Eye. Fought them and won thanks to a website called Peppipoo. (Yes that is the name) which I recall Carol put me onto. Useful for most parking issues. 2 out of 2 wins in my case :D
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:28 pm

Nanu wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:18 pm Be careful with that idea. I dropped the wife off at our local eye infirmary and drove straight out again and received a parking charge notice from Parking Eye. Fought them and won thanks to a website called Peppipoo. (Yes that is the name) which I recall Carol put me onto. Useful for most parking issues. 2 out of 2 wins in my case :D
I use the Yellow zone car park.
Premier inn have used couple of time as flight times to Wroclaw are 0725 Hrs (Have an office there)

Last June ithought i would try and early hours start from Home. Frigging Dartford Tunnel was closed.
Had to divert Blackwall tunnel and through london to M11 :(

Going again in March, am booked into Premier Inn :roll:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:28 am

Yes I stayed at a hotel in Lancaster when I took my daughter back to Uni a couple of years ago and was told to put my car reg into their desk computer. Something went wrong and I received a letter with photos showing the car arriving and leaving but not registering. They required a payment, my wife dealt with it, could not get through to a human and finally sorted it out somehow. No apologies. Bunch of faceless barstools who don’t seen accountable to anyone and can do what they like.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:34 am

This country is not how I remember it 20 years ago and it ain’t gonna get any better :headbang:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.