Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

10 years of ///M

"M" Specific discussion
beanie

10 years of ///M

Post by beanie » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:25 pm

Incredibly, I’ve had my Z for exactly 10 years (well, yesterday was the ‘anniversary’) and around 40k miles. It really doesn’t seem that long ago I was poking around here looking for a car. Where the hell has the time gone? :|

It’s taken me all over Europe, up and down countless mountains, even round the ring a couple of times, but other than needing the usual fuel and tyres, it hasn’t put a foot wrong (frantically scrabbles to touch some wood). That doesn’t mean it’s been a ‘cheap’ 10 years, but it could have been much worse!

Even after all this time, it still challenges, thrills and occasionally frustrates me, but I’ve grown extremely fond of this obscure little hooligan. It manages to be everything I need and want in a car and as I’ve probably said before, nothing this side of 70k could ever tempt me out of it.

There’s no real point to this thread other than to mark the occasion and to thank all of you who have helped, entertained and generally just made this a good forum to be on.

So, here’s to driving these things for as long and hard as we’re allowed to do so!
ADFE2366-B6A3-44D6-8ECD-C56D95353E40.jpeg
ADFE2366-B6A3-44D6-8ECD-C56D95353E40.jpeg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 666 times
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of ///M

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:33 pm

:thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

10 years of ///M

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:41 pm

Beautifully put beanie. :thumbsup:

I've had E86s for over 8 years, but only had my MC for three years and 17 days - it's definitely a keeper for the reasons you have described!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

plenty

10 years of ///M

Post by plenty » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:04 am

Congrats OP. My ownership tenure is a mere 9 years and 4 months shorter than 10 years, but I second every word.

I like light, precise-handling cars and was expecting to be underwhelmed by the ///MR which has a reputation for being a blunt instrument, but after sorting the suspension and geo it's now got the dynamics to match that epic engine. Whether pottering at town speeds or at full chat on the open road, every drive is an occasion.

I'd half-expected my roadster to be gone by now as I only really bought it for a road trip last year, but it's really got under my skin. I'm now settling in for the long haul and considering selling other toys I'm not using, as I'm too busy enjoying the ///M. Now planning a number of upcoming trips in it, including a 5,000 mile jaunt around Europe this summer.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of ///M

Post by flimper » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 am

Congrats on the anniversary, have just clocked up 14 years with mine and have no plans to change. I wonder if there are any M owners left on the forum that have had the car since new?
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

buzyg
Legend
Legend

10 years of ///M

Post by buzyg » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:43 am

Happy anniversary. 8) :driving: :thumbsup:

XMetal

10 years of ///M

Post by XMetal » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:24 pm

Well said! Here's to the next 10 years beanie! :drinkwine:

beanie

10 years of ///M

Post by beanie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:43 pm

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Plenty- You’re right about the sense of occasion, it’s a big part of what sold me on the car and something no hatch or sedan can replicate. Enjoy your road trip, 5k is quite a distance! I’m sure the Z will take it all in it’s stride, it’s such a complete package and can either swallow miles or destroy them at will. It makes me very glad I didn’t buy the Elise I looked at before buying mine, as that would have made for painful long distance road trips with my girlfriend!

Flimper- You must be one of very few who have owned their car for that long-I can’t imagine there are many owners from new still left.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Special Kay

10 years of ///M

Post by Special Kay » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:41 pm

beanie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:25 pm Incredibly, I’ve had my Z for exactly 10 years (well, yesterday was the ‘anniversary’) and around 40k miles. It really doesn’t seem that long ago I was poking around here looking for a car. Where the hell has the time gone? :|

It’s taken me all over Europe, up and down countless mountains, even round the ring a couple of times, but other than needing the usual fuel and tyres, it hasn’t put a foot wrong (frantically scrabbles to touch some wood). That doesn’t mean it’s been a ‘cheap’ 10 years, but it could have been much worse!

Even after all this time, it still challenges, thrills and occasionally frustrates me, but I’ve grown extremely fond of this obscure little hooligan. It manages to be everything I need and want in a car and as I’ve probably said before, nothing this side of 70k could ever tempt me out of it.

There’s no real point to this thread other than to mark the occasion and to thank all of you who have helped, entertained and generally just made this a good forum to be on.

So, here’s to driving these things for as long and hard as we’re allowed to do so!

I'll raise a toast to that this evening with a large brandy :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of ///M

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:12 pm

flimper wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 am Congrats on the anniversary, have just clocked up 14 years with mine and have no plans to change. I wonder if there are any M owners left on the forum that have had the car since new?
Byron?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

N4LLY

10 years of ///M

Post by N4LLY » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:22 pm

beanie, Most excellent :thumbsup: Congrats :drinkwine:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

TomK

10 years of ///M

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:40 am

beanie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:25 pm Incredibly, I’ve had my Z for exactly 10 years (well, yesterday was the ‘anniversary’) and around 40k miles. It really doesn’t seem that long ago I was poking around here looking for a car. Where the hell has the time gone? :|

Congrats on the milestone, and your balanced opinion has always held weight over the many years I've been here too, thank you. Hope to see the same in another ten, certainly mine is not going anywhere as much as I try and kill this s54 for my secret fantasy of a 65 :evil:
    Last edited by TomK on Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

TomK

10 years of ///M

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:40 am

double post
    MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

craig3.2
    Lifer
    Lifer

10 years of ///M

Post by craig3.2 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:00 am

flimper wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 am Congrats on the anniversary, have just clocked up 14 years with mine and have no plans to change. I wonder if there are any M owners left on the forum that have had the car since new?
    I can think of a few that have owned theirs for a while/from new or nearly new....
    Original Guvnor(Steve) still has his Midnight Blue M Coupe.
    Beedub(Byron) has his Ess s/c M Roadster
    Mfive(Tony) has had his Black M Coupe for around 12-14 years if memory serves me right(although it's been Indisposed for a bit).
    Buzyg had his a long time, until it's recent,sad demise?
    Mines is now coming up on 11 years in my Ownership.

Can't think of any more offhand,but there probably is.

These cars so get under the skin just a tad,lol.
    Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
    Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

mmm-five
    Lifer
    Lifer

10 years of ///M

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:39 am

Yes, 14 years (in December 2022) for me…although as Craig has mentioned, it’s only been in my physical possession for about 11 (due to repairs/rebuilds).

Sitting on the same 160k miles it was when it was recovered from the ‘Ring….otherwise it’d probably be at over 200k by now (or in a hedge/stone wall/barrier somewhere) :oops:

Doesn’t Andy Sixspeed still have his?
    Trigger’s Z4MC
    Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
    Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options