Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery disconnection question

"M" Specific discussion
jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:19 pm

Hi guys

I've just taken delivery of my 2006 Z4M roadster.

I am putting her away in the garage for the next 4 months or so.

With my MX-5 I just disconnected the battery to stop it running down, then re-connected when required for running.

The BMW looks a lot more complex, if I disconnect the battery for a week at a time, do we think it will mess anything up? I just read through the owners manual, but it doesn't say anything about it.

Thanks

Jon

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:33 pm

jontZ4M wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:19 pm Hi guys

With my MX-5 I just disconnected the battery to stop it running down, then re-connected when required for running.

The BMW looks a lot more complex, if I disconnect the battery for a week at a time, do we think it will mess anything up? I just read through the owners manual, but it doesn't say anything about it.

Thanks

Jon
Depending on whether you have easy access to a power source of course, but I would suggest a battery maintainer (Ctek or similar)
I have encountered a few glitches with a Z4 which I disconnected the battery on a few times. Some things, like resetting the windows etc are easy, but as you say, there is so much electrickery in these cars you can never quite be sure what is getting confused in there.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:53 pm

Ctek for the win. You are much better of keeping power maintained rather than removing it. As mentioned previously, modern cars don't like being away from wiggly amps for too long.

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:54 pm

Hello again. OK will get myself a maintainer. Thanks.

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:07 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:33 pm
jontZ4M wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:19 pm Hi guys

Thanks

Jon
Depending on whether you have easy access to a power source of course, but I would suggest a battery maintainer (Ctek or similar)
I have encountered a few glitches with a Z4 which I disconnected the battery on a few times. Some things, like resetting the windows etc are easy, but as you say, there is so much electrickery in these cars you can never quite be sure what is getting confused in there.
What's with the Tornado pic? (I have an affiliation to that particular airplane. Mind you, it looks like a dirty mud slinging GR rather than a thoroughbred F3).

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:32 pm

peteslag wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:07 pm What's with the Tornado pic? (I have an affiliation to that particular airplane. Mind you, it looks like a dirty mud slinging GR rather than a thoroughbred F3).
ZA601. One of the first GR1s into service and then the last GR4 to fly an operational sortie over Syria.
Actually worked for a living instead of poncing around pretending to be a fighter. :poke:

January 94 I got a back seat trip in it. 1 hr 40 minutes, never above 250ft. Norfolk to Wales in 18 minutes, looking up at the sheep on the hillsides, then up to Newcastle, supersonic to Cromer and back into Marham.
Did 9 years on 617 at Marham. (23 years total, mostly on Tonkas)
Then my lad joined up and his first posting was the same place, but with 31 Sqn, working the same airframes. Can't be many father/son combos who both worked on the same jet.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TomK

Post by TomK » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:00 pm

jontZ4M wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:19 pm With my MX-5 I just disconnected the battery to stop it running down, then re-connected when required for running.
I disconnect my M coupe every time I'm not using it, which is usually for a month or so or 4+ months over the winter. Never had an issue with it in 3-4 years of doing that. You'll lose your radio stations and you might have to charge your battery before starting of course. It helps I have a lithium battery which doesn't lose any charge when doing nothing and no radio :D
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:50 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:32 pm
peteslag wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:07 pm What's with the Tornado pic? (I have an affiliation to that particular airplane. Mind you, it looks like a dirty mud slinging GR rather than a thoroughbred F3).
ZA601. One of the first GR1s into service and then the last GR4 to fly an operational sortie over Syria.
Actually worked for a living instead of poncing around pretending to be a fighter. :poke:

January 94 I got a back seat trip in it. 1 hr 40 minutes, never above 250ft. Norfolk to Wales in 18 minutes, looking up at the sheep on the hillsides, then up to Newcastle, supersonic to Cromer and back into Marham.
Then my lad joined up and his first posting was the same place, but with 31 Sqn, working the same airframes. Can't be many father/son combos who both worked on the same jet.
Firstly, lets deal with the white elephant in the room "Actually worked for a living instead of poncing around pretending to be a fighter". I can't really come back with an intelligible argument because the F3 was a bit rubbish so I'll make do with GR1 was stoopid and you are stoopid.

I was 22 years, mostly on Tonkas at Leuchars.I was also lucky enough to get 2 back seat trips, one in Cyprus, the other at Leuchars. In the Cyprus PAX we skimmed the Mediterranean at mach 1.1 then broke into a vertical climb at 6.75g, that is a moment that go with me to the grave for sure.

The fact that your lad also mended the same airframe is bloody marvelous, great story. My lad is 14, my hope is that he also decides to go the aircraft techy route. I'm ex dog f**ker by the way.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:54 pm

peteslag wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:50 pm

Firstly, lets deal with the white elephant in the room "Actually worked for a living instead of poncing around pretending to be a fighter". I can't really come back with an intelligible argument because the F3 was a bit rubbish so I'll make do with GR1 was stoopid and you are stoopid.

I was 22 years, mostly on Tonkas at Leuchars.I was also lucky enough to get 2 back seat trips, one in Cyprus, the other at Leuchars. In the Cyprus PAX we skimmed the Mediterranean at mach 1.1 then broke into a vertical climb at 6.75g, that is a moment that go with me to the grave for sure.

The fact that your lad also mended the same airframe is bloody marvelous, great story. My lad is 14, my hope is that he also decides to go the aircraft techy route. I'm ex dog f**ker by the way.
That’ll confuse the civvies 🤣🤣🤣
I was a splitter! 82 to 04. Looks like our paths never crossed though?

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:54 pm
peteslag wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:50 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:32 pm ZA601. One of the first GR1s into service and then the last GR4 to fly an operational sortie over Syria.

That’ll confuse the civvies 🤣🤣🤣
I was a splitter! 82 to 04. Looks like our paths never crossed though?
Up to '04 I was Cosford '97, Leuchars 98/99, Cosford 99/00, St Athan 00/01, Leuchars 01/04. Many many dets in-between but never with the mud slingers.

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:13 pm

Well this thread took a turn for the EXTREMELY COOL.

I run this aviation YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZuXjk ... a3UyCBbR2w

We are a group of plane enthusiasts. In the group we have 3 ex-Tornado drivers, 1 ex-Jag driver and 2 current Typhoon drivers. We now fly sims(play games).

Super cool.

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:15 pm

Plus a huge range of ex-RAF maintainers of various flavours ^^

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:06 pm

Sounds brilliant.
I had a back seat ride in Harrier T4. Best ride of my life.
High level from Wittering to the west country where we flew along side and took photos of Concorde (well, about a couple of miles away). I've still got the pictures.
Then low level over Bath, back to Wittering. Had a go at hovering, but was pretty useless.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

jontZ4M

Post by jontZ4M » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:42 pm

oOOO I'm jealous...

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:53 pm

Hmmmm started my life on F4 Phantoms at Wattisham - fantastic times!! I remember watching a Tornado trying to out run an F4, now that was interesting!!
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice