Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2006 Bmw Z4 2.0 Roadster

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Aaronmmii

2006 Bmw Z4 2.0 Roadster

Post by Aaronmmii » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:20 am

hi everyone!
im looking at buying a z4 in the next couple days and one that fits my budget has come up, obviously i dont want to buy a car that needs work doing thats worth more than the car itself
im going up to look at it either friday or saturday and after checking the mot it has recently picked up corrosion on the underside of the body and a small but not excessive oil leak.
just wondering if anyone has any pointers for the questions i should ask and what i should look for when purchasing to ensure i get an effective deal as it will only be used as a weekender car and one to try and make aesthetically pleasing.
Thanks in advance

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

2006 Bmw Z4 2.0 Roadster

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:40 am

Welcome to the forum.
With the 2.0 4-pot the first question would be mileage for me.
They tend not to bear the high mileages as easily as the 6 cylinder engines.
If the oil leak is from the top cover gasket then you'll smell it burning off the exhaust. An easy fix but needs doing soon as it implies the other seals under the cover are probably just as bad and you don't want oil getting into the cam position sensor.
Apart from the engine the rest of the car is basically the same as all other engine sizes.
Do you have a link to any advert for it?
Obviously you need to be checking there are no warning lights, especially EML. Worth getting codes read if you can, as this 'may' tell you any previous issues, assuming the seller hasn't already reset them.
Worth saying where you are located as you may find a friendly forum member who will look over the car with you.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

2006 Bmw Z4 2.0 Roadster

Post by Zedebee » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:48 am

Also, corrosion is rarely an issue with these cars and highly unusual to be picked up on an MOT. You will need to check exactly what this is and whether it’s indicative of a wider problem.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

2006 Bmw Z4 2.0 Roadster

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:11 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

As Zedebee says corrosion isn't often an issue on Z4s, although some are starting to show sings of it on the wheel arches. The only other place I've encountered it is on the rear brake pipes just in front of the passenger side rear wheel (and tailgates on Coupes).

Good luck with the viewing and hopefully you'll be able to post some photos of your Z4 sometime soon!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black