Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air Conditioning not working - fault codes inside

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
z4_spiral

Post by z4_spiral » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:48 pm

Ok, here's the first (of probably many) threads about various problems I have with the car. This one I knew before I bought it - the AC does not work. I've taken it for a regas, but alas still nothing.

I'm a curious fellow though, so I aquired a copy of ISTA and have 3 IHKA errors in it (more as well, but not related to IHKA):

000006 IHKA: Supply, pressure sensor AUC
000008 IHKA: Pressure sensor
00000F IHKA: AUC sensor

I would be amazed if these aren't related to a single fault somewhere. Ista's test plan only has steps to look at the first error, the supply, which kind of makes sense if it can't see the supply, can it? It wants a voltage measurement that requires removal of the IHKA module (A11, that right?) and somehow getting a probe in there when I assume the car is on - see end of post.

I've loaded INPA as well, and confirmed the pressure sensor is reading 0bar/0.1V, and the AUC sensor is reading 0.1V too. I would _suspect_ the same 5V source is used for both, though they are separate pin outs on the IHKA module.

Before I go dissassembling the car, has anyone else had these symptoms and can offer some alternate debugging steps? Or even had similar symptoms and found a root cause? Perhaps a common point in the loom/ground that fails? I was thinking of the following:

* Testing the pressure sensor: Apply 5V myself and check the voltage of the sense pin, validate that works.
* Just unplugging the AUC sensor, and see if that makes things work
* Unplug the pressure sensor, and see if that makes the AUC sensor work
* Re-do my awful attempt at faking the pressure sensor signal with a home made voltage divider (2 1M resistors with a sense pin in the middle, should give me 2.5V if the supply is right, but it was dark outside so I'm going to try this tomorrow).

ISTA test steps. Terminal 31 I've learned is the generic code used for a ground, which makes sense if testing the supply, but I've no idea how to be at this with the supply on? Tips on testing this would be greatly appreciated.

Voltage measurement
Test probe 1 (+):
Automatic air recirculation control+ automatic air recirculation control voltage supply
Test probe 1 (-):
31L Terminal 31, earth connection
Measure at:
A11 Control unit for heating and air conditioning system
Specified value: 4.5 ...5.5 V

rocket70

Post by rocket70 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:51 am

Sounds like the system is short of refrigerant. Being an ac guy... i would start by putting my gauges on and running the system.

rocket70

Post by rocket70 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:54 am

Sorry just read the post in properly and you've had a regas. Did it work at all after the regas?

I remember doing a regas on a Merc and the guy had to take it to merc to get it reset before it would run.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:12 am

Back right corner of the engine bay, beside the regas point is the sensor. If it fails it won’t signal the compressor to run. Cheap and easy to fit a new one but you will lose gas no matter how quick you are. Be sure to hold the pipe with a wrench too as it is screwed in tight and will easily twist the pipe.
Wife’s car had exactly this problem. Ten minute job then regas again.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

z4_spiral

Post by z4_spiral » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:00 am

Thanks for all the quick responses! Yes I've had a regas, first thing I tried thinking "ah this one will be easy won't it". Spoiler, like everything with this car so far, it wasn't. At this point though, I don't think it the regas actually matters, because the system thinks there is 0 bar in there, so deffo looking at a sensor/electrical problem imo - would be reading ~1 bar if it was a leak to atmosphere, aye?

I need to get that sensor either confirmed dead or reading correctly first. I'm going to go out and unplug both AUC and pressure sensor later today (I've read one instance where a bad AUC sensor caused a fault with the pressure one), and measure the sense supply voltage to ground at the supply voltage (. If that's 0, then I think I have to assume the sensor is good (for now) and diagnose that first. I don't have good tiny probes for my multimeter (I usually do guitar pedals, nice and chunky components), so will stick a wire in each and see!

I should also confirm the sensor function by applying 5V myself. No good clips for it, or a 5V supply handy, so going to rig some batteries together to get 4.8V (should be close enough, I believe ISTA says the supply can be 4.5V-5.5V), and see what the sense pin says. Might not have time for a few days though, busy being back to work :'(

For reference, I looked up the wiring diagram for the pinout:

IHKA Pin (large plug) - purpose - pressure sensor pin
pin 16 supply 5V pin 3
pin 17 sense (0.4-4.6V healthy) pin 2
pin 18 ground/termial 17 pin 1

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:12 am

The sensor is pretty cheap. Could just swap in a new one?
This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125655469538

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:54 pm

The AUC sensor is clipped at the top of the radiator under the front plastic cover, its also refered to as a stink sensor as it sniffs traffic fumes from outside the vehicle and will control the fresh air intake on the aircon system. If it detects traffic fumes it closes the fresh air intake to stop the fumes entering the car. Last time I looked it was about £70 from BMW. You can buy the actual componant that is inside the sensor from an electronics company for around £17. I did this but it still throws a code and I now ignore it, it has no affect on the rest of the aircon system working. If the blower motor stops working its usually down to the car having entered into Transport mode which is caused by low battery voltage being detected and the car closes down some of the systems in order to conserve power for starting. Usual systems that get closed down are Aircon and heated rear screen. Transport mode has to be reset using diagnostic software, BMW Scanner 1.4 has the ability to reset it. Transport mode should have been deleted by the dealer when the car was sold new when it had its PDI, most did not carry this out, maybe because it was expected that the car would be returned to them should it go into transport mode so they could charge for resetting it?
Attachments
DSC_0190.JPG
DSC_0190.JPG (127.71 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:12 am Cheap and easy to fit a new one but you will lose gas no matter how quick you are.
It is against the law to deliberately or knowingly release refrigerant to the atmosphere.
Just saying s'all! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:01 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:12 am Cheap and easy to fit a new one but you will lose gas no matter how quick you are.
It is against the law to deliberately or knowingly release refrigerant to the atmosphere.
Just saying s'all! :)
Well I didn't know it would happen until it was too late. :wink:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:57 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:23 pm Well I didn't know it would happen until it was too late.
As I make a living out of this shite, if I used that defence I could still be imprisoned for up to 5 years!! :poke: :x
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:01 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:57 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:23 pm Well I didn't know it would happen until it was too late.
As I make a living out of this shite, if I used that defence I could still be imprisoned for up to 5 years!! :poke: :x
Well in that case I'll just them you did it for me. Hopefully we can keep in touch? Think most prisons have wifi? :D

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:01 pm Well in that case I'll just them you did it for me. Hopefully we can keep in touch? Think most prisons have wifi?
I wouldn't do well in clink mate. I'm too pretty! :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

z4_spiral

Post by z4_spiral » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:00 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:21 pm I wouldn't do well in clink mate. I'm too pretty! :lol:
:rofl:

@colb I saw your write up on that before, I was actually planning on doing that if indeed my AUC sensor is condirmed bad, it was an excellent writeup. Think I can test that in the same way as the pressure sensor, but at least I can take it into the house where it isn't minus baltic degrees. Now that one I expect to be broken. As I'm testing functionality I don't *think* I need the heater element working, should be able to supply 5V/Ground then check the sense to ground on it. One for after this meeting perhaps...

Blower works fine, as does the defroster after I fixed the roof wiring, so don't suspect transport mode.

z4_spiral

Post by z4_spiral » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:04 pm

Just to accompany my claims about the sensor voltage readings, I present some INPA screenshots - see the pressure/auc voltage (and thus, the actual pressure reading)? Primary suspect.
IMG_6134.jpeg
IMG_6134.jpeg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 561 times
IMG_6135.jpeg
IMG_6135.jpeg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 561 times

z4_spiral

Post by z4_spiral » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:51 pm

Well I nipped out there to do a quick test - went and unplugged both sensors and checked the supply/ground voltage. 0V for both, so regardless of the sensors working or not, there's a problem with the supply. ISTA says to check the supply at the rear of the IHKA module, which makes sense as that will tell me if it's a module or a wiring problem (not sure what's worse) so when I get an evening I'm going to try and get it out and see if there's anywhere I can get a probe in there. Not sure how to probe something when it needs to be plugged in to be turned on without removing a pin, which I don't have tools to do but getting it out will hopefully reveal it's secrets.

I imaging at the end of this I'm going to replace the sensor anyway :roll: