Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel rip off

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Matt1

Fuel rip off

Post by Matt1 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:52 pm

I’ve noticed when filling my diesel Mazda, that the pump seems to start charging me before the fuel is dispensed. Happens at various filling stations. I insert the nozzle, pull the trigger and for xx seconds I don’t hear any fuel going in the tank. There’s normally a characteristic “rushing” sound once the fuel is coming out the end of the filler nozzle and into my filler. Meanwhile of course the meter is running and at todays prices I can be paying well more than a £ before any fuel has come out the nozzle. Am seriously tempted to get a brand new can and try and prove this. Anybody else noticed this?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:17 pm

All pumps are supposed to be independently regulated to ensure the correct amount of fuel is dispensed.
however, all pumps are not built the same.
Would be interesting to conduct that experiment you suggest.

i regularly get chastised /shamed by petrol station managers over the tannoy here in nl whenever i lift the hose while keeping the valve open to ensure the fuel in the hose that i paid for has actually gone into the tank.
i couldn't actually give 2 fooks as its my right to take what i paid for and regularly argue the case for this to which i'm usually met with derision and defeat in equal measures.
A sure fire way of making sure you get all the fuel from the hose is to park on the side of the pump in order to stretch the hose to its full extended length to ensure you dont have a droop in the cable lower than your filler.
I'm usually smirked at by smarmy dutch drivers waiting behind me who initially think I've parked on the 'wrong' side of the pump, until i actually manage to easily extend the hose over to the other side of the car to start filling, thereby wiping the smugness off their stupid orange faces while i think to myself 'whose laughing now you big-toothed, orange-skinned, red pants-wearing a$$hole. Hahaha bwahahahaaa hahhaaaaaa, look it's working, see, no problemo and just for smirking at me, while i'm inside before paying i might just leisurely browse the assortment of confectionery, possibly even mull getting a saucijs broodje, or maybe taking a pee or a poo and make you wait a bit longer. Bwaaaaaahahhaaaaa'

Ok i went off at a bit of a tangent towards the end there admittedly.
:lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:05 pm

Matt1 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:52 pm I’ve noticed when filling my diesel Mazda, that the pump seems to start charging me before the fuel is dispensed. Happens at various filling stations. I insert the nozzle, pull the trigger and for xx seconds I don’t hear any fuel going in the tank. There’s normally a characteristic “rushing” sound once the fuel is coming out the end of the filler nozzle and into my filler. Meanwhile of course the meter is running and at todays prices I can be paying well more than a £ before any fuel has come out the nozzle. Am seriously tempted to get a brand new can and try and prove this. Anybody else noticed this?
I think this may have something to do with the amount of fuel in the hose when you arrive.
As Chris sort of eluded to above, there will an unknown amount of fuel in the hose from the previous user.
I calculated that a 40mm diameter hose at 2m in length (an educated guess) can hold 2.5 litres.
If there is very little fuel in the hose when you pull the trigger (ie if you followed Chris D to the pump) it will draw fuel from the pump but fill the hose first. Every drop going into the hose is recorded, but not every drop coming out of the nozzle necessarily The actual 'pump' in the dispensing/ measuring equipment (the pump), only starts once the pressure drops enough to start it (I think).

If you do what Chris D does after you've finished (not the pi$$ing off the locals bit), you should get everything you pay for and the extra in the hose when you start, therefore getting more than you pay for.

Disclaimer: The above is my best guess; I am not a petrol pump 'officianado' :oops:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:25 pm

Chris_D, I think I've missed a bit somewhere?
How do you keep the valve open to empty the hose without the pressure drop being sensed and the pump kicking in again?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Fuel rip off

Post by pvr » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:31 pm

Thought you could only do that on the old serviced pumps where you had to move the handle to get the nozzle back in, which stopped the pump?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Fuel rip off

Post by pvr » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:33 pm

Oh - and I am even more irritating as when the pump is on the wrong side, I reverse into the petrol station :lol:

(just measured my teeth - seemed normal size and my skin is not quite orange yet :wink: )
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:25 pm Chris_D, I think I've missed a bit somewhere?
How do you keep the valve open to empty the hose without the pressure drop being sensed and the pump kicking in again?
No the point is you're maximising the yield from the hose from start to finish.
If you stretch and make sure there is no sag in the hose and its above the filler cap then you are collecting whatever was in the hose already as pondrew suggests.
If you keep the hose in that attitude when you release the handle to stop the pump then you may be collecting the residual fuel left in the pump hose even after the pump has stopped.

I remember being a bit startled on a trip to poland years ago where i was filling a 3L emergency can and nearly overfilling it when it was placed on the ground even though i stopped pumping. A small amount continued to come out of the nozzle and made me realise that there must be residual fuel left in the hose on any given pumping procedure.

But i doubt its the case everytime.
I think the idea warrants further investigation...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:03 pm

pvr wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:33 pm
(just measured my teeth - seemed normal size and my skin is not quite orange yet :wink: )
I bet you wear red pants occasionally tho. Gowon admit it
:poke: :evil: :lol:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Fuel rip off

Post by pvr » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:36 pm

That will never happen. That red or salmon colour, only really weird people wear that (or they are from The Hague)
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

rdm05z4

Fuel rip off

Post by rdm05z4 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:43 pm

Interesting topic never thought of fuel left in hose. Most men wish for a longer hose then what is in it. :rofl: Sorry could not resist the joke.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:52 pm

Chris_D wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:01 pm No the point is you're maximising the yield from the hose from start to finish.
If you stretch and make sure there is no sag in the hose and its above the filler cap then you are collecting whatever was in the hose already as pondrew suggests.
If you keep the hose in that attitude when you release the handle to stop the pump then you may be collecting the residual fuel left in the pump hose even after the pump has stopped.

I remember being a bit startled on a trip to poland years ago where i was filling a 3L emergency can and nearly overfilling it when it was placed on the ground even though i stopped pumping. A small amount continued to come out of the nozzle and made me realise that there must be residual fuel left in the hose on any given pumping procedure.

If you really want to get your money's worth and pi$s the locals off even more, you could walk around every pump and feel which is heaviest then go to that one! :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:54 pm

rdm05z4 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:43 pm Most men wish for a longer hose
Strange that men do but women don't, apparently. Which is ideal in my case!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:08 am

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:54 pm
rdm05z4 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:43 pm Most men wish for a longer hose
Strange that men do but women don't, apparently. Which is ideal in my case!
Yeah but ideally they want a hose, not a straw :poke: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Fuel rip off

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:19 am

Chris_D wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:01 pm
    enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:25 pm Chris_D, I think I've missed a bit somewhere?
    No the point is you're maximising the yield from the hose from start to finish.

You tight wad. :lol: :thumbsup:

Chris_D
    Lifer
    Lifer

Fuel rip off

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:31 am

buzyg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:19 am You tight wad. :lol: :thumbsup:
    Do the math Buzylar. For an average yield of say 300ml each time I visited the pump I reckon I’ve saved £100’s, if not £1000’s doing that over the years. I certainly know at the very least I got what I paid for.
    Minimum effort, maximum return.
    :P