Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What mods are you going to do to your Zed in 2023?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:35 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:43 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:40 pm Possibly a bigger intercooler for my 35i (just because) :rofl:
In general you can never have a too big intercooler..but..anything else with it?
No nothing else with it, just to help with getting colder air
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:56 pm

Would be happy if the dam thing would start and run. :(

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:25 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:56 pm Would be happy if the dam thing would start and run. :(
🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:29 pm

Oops forgot with all the mechanical and electronic mayhem..I forgot to add to my list…

All new BMW badges all the way around..bonnet, boot, flanks..

Respray front bumper to recover from heavy landing

Respray rear spoiler where people have leant against the back of the car and broken the paint away from the trailing edge

Machine polish all round..hopefully following the detailing maestros here.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:40 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:56 pm Would be happy if the dam thing would start and run. :(
Lucas parts?
:lol: :lol:
:poke:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:53 pm

Hmm,

I’m still undecided as to whether I’m keeping mine or not but, if it stays;

Definitely want to do something with the suspension and sort of wish I’d held onto the Eibach Pro Street coilovers.
New wheels and tires, want rid of the runflats. Considering a set of genuine 788M’s
Fit the engine bay bling - have a nice polished strut brace ready and waiting
I do like @B21 ‘s rear spoiler, but would probably leave in a Carbon finish to contrast the DSB paint.
I have the top level HiFi, so a speaker upgrade would be nice :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:02 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:53 pm Hmm,

Definitely want to do something with the suspension and sort of wish I’d held onto the Eibach Pro Street coilovers.
New wheels and tires, want rid of the runflats. Considering a set of genuine 788M’s
I do like @B21 ‘s rear spoiler, but would probably leave in a Carbon finish to contrast the DSB paint.

All sounds eminently sensible..as stated elsewhere, each to their own, but not a fan of raw C/F on external bodywork..

Changing my 100mm Top-fi speakers protem to a mixture of Etons and Audison improved things a lot..it was the easy part..the woofers, subwoofers and new DSP/amp will be the harder parts..

Pretty pricey for genuine 788Ms..offsets are good..found the 9j and 10j widths just a bit wide for my tastes in handling but again each to their own..

The strut brace is nice n blingy but I personally found zero impact on handling..

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:03 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:35 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:43 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:40 pm Possibly a bigger intercooler for my 35i (just because) :rofl:
In general you can never have a too big intercooler..but..anything else with it?
No nothing else with it, just to help with getting colder air
Looking at the IATs I think a simple stage 1 Wagner Evo 1 type upgrade would suffice for UK temps and roads…FWIW :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:15 pm

Here's my wish list for 2023, not sure how many of them will get done though.

1. Bilstein / Eibach B12 Pro suspension

2. Sports exhaust (undecided upon which one)

3. 19" wheels and tyres (again undecided which ones)

4. Subtle body styling, rear lip spoiler etc. maybe, and only after the above three are done.

Let's see how far I get! :wink:
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:18 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:02 pm

All sounds eminently sensible..as stated elsewhere, each to their own, but not a fan of raw C/F on external bodywork..

Changing my 100mm Top-fi speakers protem to a mixture of Etons and Audison improved things a lot..it was the easy part..the woofers, subwoofers and new DSP/amp will be the harder parts..

Pretty pricey for genuine 788Ms..offsets are good..found the 9j and 10j widths just a bit wide for my tastes in handling but again each to their own..

The strut brace is nice n blingy but I personally found zero impact on handling..
Strut brace is for looks only :thumbsup: , have my eye on a set of 788M’s at a very decent price but undecided, I wouldn’t go beyond swapping out the existing speakers TBH as a moving vehicle is hardly the best environment for sonic perfection and I mainly drive it with the roof down. The audio upgrades will be when I get to the ‘nothing else left to do’ stage :rofl:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:22 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:18 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Strut brace is for looks only :thumbsup: , have my eye on a set of 788M’s at a very decent price but undecided, I wouldn’t go beyond swapping out the existing speakers TBH as a moving vehicle is hardly the best environment for sonic perfection and I mainly drive it with the roof down. The audio upgrades will be when I get to the ‘nothing else left to do’ stage :rofl:
I suspect the speakers will get you 90% of the way there..sounds like you are in an ‘undecided’ phase :tumbleweed: :rofl:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:25 pm

Need to finally get the 326Ms refurbed (if they don't crack in the mean time) after 2 years of thinking about it.
Also want to sort the crease on the bottom section of the rear bumper which was there when we got it.
The little 'white peril' will look perfect then.

A question for Peter (B21); where did you get the rear diffusers from in your signature photos? I am wondering if that would be a less expensive option than a new OEM one (as all the used ones I've seen on the 'Bay have been a pile of crap). :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:27 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:15 pm Here's my wish list for 2023, not sure how many of them will get done though.

4. Subtle body styling, rear lip spoiler etc. maybe, and only after the above three are done.

IMHO the Bilstein upgrade is the most worthy…with the benefit of now 6 sets of wheels on E89s unless your tyres demand the rim diameter eg Conti Sports 7 I’d go with 18” rims any day of the week..

Again it’s personal choice but never been a fan of aftermarket exhausts..I prefer to move as quickly and silently as possible..

But each to their own..thanks for the view :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:29 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:25 pm Need to finally get the 326Ms refurbed (if they don't crack in the mean time) after 2 years of thinking about it.
Also want to sort the crease on the bottom section of the rear bumper which was there when we got it.
The little 'white peril' will look perfect then.

A question for Peter (B21); where did you get the rear diffusers from in your signature photos? I am wondering if that would be a less expensive option than a new OEM one (as all the used ones I've seen on the 'Bay have been a pile of crap). :thumbsup:
The rear valance in black and the diffuser in yellow are all OE..I bought them new but from various alternative BMW OE parts suppliers at ‘good’ prices..

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:31 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:27 pm
Silverstar wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:15 pm Here's my wish list for 2023, not sure how many of them will get done though.

IMHO the Bilstein upgrade is the most worthy…with the benefit of now 6 sets of wheels on E89s unless your tyres demand the rim diameter eg Conti Sports 7 I’d go with 18” rims any day of the week..

Again it’s personal choice but never been a fan of aftermarket exhausts..I prefer to move as quickly and silently as possible..

But each to their own..thanks for the view :thumbsup:
My car has 18" wheels already and yes you are right the ride quality is great and will be better than with 19" but I think the E89 just looks better with 19" rims and here where I am mostly the roads are pretty smooth.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red