Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reversing lights

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Reversing lights

Post by MikeyH » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:17 am

Not my car, the wife’s, reversing lights not working due to a switch, can’t be sorted till next week. Garage tells me it’s not illegal to drive without them. Can’t find anything conclusive on the internet so asking the experts. Any of you have advice please. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

BeeEmm

Reversing lights

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:34 pm

I believe that reversing lights must be fitted to vehicles from 1 September 2009. On cars, one or two is fine, but they must be working. GOV.UK is the place to look for legalisation.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Reversing lights

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:46 pm

Just tell her not to go backwards, then it will be fine. :D

I very much doubt ANYONE has ever been pulled or fined for reversing lights inoperative. Unless you back into a copper, of course!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Reversing lights

Post by MikeyH » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:49 pm

Thank you both, I found the 2009 date on the mot list, but it said it wasn't implemented. :? My wife's car is a 2008 so hopefully all will be okay. Going in next week to have the little switch replaced so fingers crossed all will be sorted. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

smorris_12

Reversing lights

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:21 pm

Years ago reversing lights weren't part of the MoT as there were cars without them (my grandfather's R reg Vauxhall Viva for one) and, AIUI, construction and use regs stated no white lights to show backwards and no red lights to show forward.

Always wondered if they ever bothered changing the rules.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Reversing lights

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:29 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:21 pm Years ago reversing lights weren't part of the MoT as there were cars without them (my grandfather's R reg Vauxhall Viva for one) and, AIUI, construction and use regs stated no white lights to show backwards and no red lights to show forward.

Always wondered if they ever bothered changing the rules.
Reversing lights were introduced to 'see' when reversing. I think they were pioneered by motor racing; predominantly rallying. They were originally dirty great 4" 'spotlights' wired to the reverse linkage AFAIK.
60 years on and they do very little to help you see; just a warning for others (since the supermarket car park was invented presumably). :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Rockhopper

Reversing lights

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:57 pm

MOT and Construction and Use regulations are very different pieces of legislation. Construction and Use regs basically say if something was fitted to the car when it left the factory then it must still be fitted and working.
So, no reversing lights is 100% illegal but in reality there is almost zero chance of you being prosecuted.
It’s also worth bearing in mind that penalties for breaches of the Construction and Use regs are potentially far more severe than for MOT offences.

IRD

Reversing lights

Post by IRD » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:07 pm

Had my 2003 Z4 MOT’d in November with reversing lights not working. Was told that in older cars they didn’t check reversing lights so it wasn’t an issue and the car passed the test.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Reversing lights

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:46 pm

Thank you all for your advice, I will be using the car next week so hope I will be okay.