Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Voltage drop on KBus

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Falk

Voltage drop on KBus

Post by Falk » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:03 am

Bought a 2005 Z4 from a silent auction and I've never been able to fix the airbag light on my instrument cluster.

There were multiple problems with this car, roof, radio, blinkers on instrument cluster, high beams on cluster, central locking. Found that when the Airbag control modules connectors were removed all these things worked again. Seeing that there was a pin missing and the connector was highly corroded I bought a new Airbag Control Module, I installed it, and took it to the dealership to have them code it to the car. They weren't able to communicate with most of the modules in the car.

Checked the KBus shorting bar and one by one removed each pin to see if the bar would get 12 volts again, it did when I removed the Airbag Control Module wire. With that wire on the shorting bar it reads 5.4 Volts. I removed each pin on the black connector one by one placing the last wire I removed back into the connector I found that when Grounding wire (#2) was removed the kbus shorting bar would read 7.5Volts, and when I removed the KBus wire (#3) the shorting bar would read 12Volts.

I use a C110 obd2 reader and I can never communicate with the air bag systems. It's a new Airbag Control Module buts its still causing me to lose voltage and I'm unable to code it.

Any advice on what to check next? My brain is fried from Gremlin hunting.