Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for a decent Low-Profile trolley jack & jack stands. Any tips?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
BeardyJon

Post by BeardyJon » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:27 am

I need to put my car up on some jack stands to do some work to it, but having a little trouble shopping around for a decent trolley jack as many of them seem to be accompanied by some nightmare reviews of them dropping the car on the folks using them. Can't be sure if they're using them wrong or not but it's making me v anxious to make sure I'm not buying a dud. Anyone know any good reliable brands, or things to look for when buying? Cheers!
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:30 am

I've used a low profile SGS trolley jack for years and its been brilliant.
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage- ... HIQAvD_BwE
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:40 am

I bought this trolley jack. Cheap as chips and works really well. I was worried about it dropping while a wheel was off the car, so tested it out. I jacked the car up to almost full height with the wheels on and left the jack there for 3 days. No movement whatsoever! :thumbsup:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-cr ... jack/8827r
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:50 am

SGS for me too, worked fine over the years.

plenty

Post by plenty » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm

Don't worry too much about brand - trolley jacks are simple things, and failures are usually due to user error or using really old/worn jacks. I'm still using cheap jacks that are 15 years old. You should never be in a position to get hurt due to jack failure - use the jack to raise the car which is then supported by stands. Never go under a car that is only supported by a jack.

On an E85 you may need two jacks - one lifting at the side to get enough clearance for the second to reach the front jacking point under the cross member which is located quite far back, behind the undertray. You then remove the first jack, place the stands underneath the side jacking points, and lower the jack under the cross member and let the car's weight settle on the stands.

The Hilka product above is a good budget choice but make sure to get a rubber pad or use a thin block of wood to prevent chassis damage.

If you want to spend time underneath and do bigger jobs like exhaust or clutch you'll want more lift than what the cheaper jacks offer (usually max 35 cm, meaning you won't be able to use axle stands at max height). This Halfords job is another level up (and much heavier) offering 50 cm lift: https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 63126.html

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:49 pm

plenty wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm The Hilka product above is a good budget choice but make sure to get a rubber pad or use a thin block of wood to prevent chassis damage.
I use mine 'as is' on both my BMs. Three of the four upstands on the lifting pad sit into the jacking points, the fourth is outside but doesn't touch anything. No damage to anything. I have had to make a timber 'adaptor' for my other car, as that doesn't have the box-section jacking points. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

plenty

Post by plenty » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:56 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:49 pm
plenty wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm The Hilka product above is a good budget choice but make sure to get a rubber pad or use a thin block of wood to prevent chassis damage.
I use mine 'as is' on both my BMs. Three of the four upstands on the lifting pad sit into the jacking points, the fourth is outside but doesn't touch anything. No damage to anything. I have had to make a timber 'adaptor' for my other car, as that doesn't have the box-section jacking points. :thumbsup:
Of course - I was thinking more of the front central jacking point. The rubber inserts that fit into the side jacking points do get chewed up over time without a pad on the trolley jack, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

Rich61

Post by Rich61 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:15 pm

Iv had this one for about 5 years and never let me down.
got mine from costco but looks exactly the same. use it on the Z4 and E61
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tja15r- ... olley-jack

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:00 pm

plenty wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm Don't worry too much about brand - trolley jacks are simple things, and failures are usually due to user error or using really old/worn jacks. I'm still using cheap jacks that are 15 years old. You should never be in a position to get hurt due to jack failure - use the jack to raise the car which is then supported by stands. Never go under a car that is only supported by a jack.

On an E85 you may need two jacks - one lifting at the side to get enough clearance for the second to reach the front jacking point under the cross member which is located quite far back, behind the undertray. You then remove the first jack, place the stands underneath the side jacking points, and lower the jack under the cross member and let the car's weight settle on the stands.

The Hilka product above is a good budget choice but make sure to get a rubber pad or use a thin block of wood to prevent chassis damage.

If you want to spend time underneath and do bigger jobs like exhaust or clutch you'll want more lift than what the cheaper jacks offer (usually max 35 cm, meaning you won't be able to use axle stands at max height). This Halfords job is another level up (and much heavier) offering 50 cm lift: https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 63126.html
The O/P has an E89 which I'm unfamiliar with so don't know if they have a front central jacking point. On the E85/86 ONLY the M models have a central front jacking point :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

plenty

Post by plenty » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:53 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:00 pm The O/P has an E89 which I'm unfamiliar with so don't know if they have a front central jacking point. On the E85/86 ONLY the M models have a central front jacking point :thumbsup:
Oh right. I assume you can lift each side via the rear jacking points and gain enough clearance to fit an axle stand under the front jacking points.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:30 pm

I bought a low-profile SGS one a few years ago and use it twice a year to swap between winter/summer wheels on my 3 Series. But I've also used it on my Z4 when I swapped the wheels on that and it was fine.

It's worth getting a jacking pad that fits into the BMW jacking points - they're only a few quid online.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:50 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:00 pm
plenty wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm Don't worry too much about brand - trolley jacks are simple things, and failures are usually due to user error or using really old/worn jacks. I'm still using cheap jacks that are 15 years old. You should never be in a position to get hurt due to jack failure - use the jack to raise the car which is then supported by stands. Never go under a car that is only supported by a jack.

The O/P has an E89 which I'm unfamiliar with so don't know if they have a front central jacking point. On the E85/86 ONLY the M models have a central front jacking point :thumbsup:
Turns out you can jack the E89 at several points..they point out on the diff its the main body..not the end cover and not the shield!
Attachments
EXBNpPg.png
EXBNpPg.png (55.67 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:51 pm

I have both the Screwfix (Hilka) low profile and normal versions..both fit under an MSport E89 ok.. :thumbsup:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-cr ... jack/7504g
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:15 pm

I've got the cheaper (£40/£50) Halfords low profile jack and it's excellent. It lifts higher than my standard trolley jacks. Wish I'd bought one years ago for my 3er which was slightly low for the ordinary ones.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Nick W

Post by Nick W » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:21 pm

I've had a couple of machine mart low profile jacks for around 10 years now. Always protected by oil and grease but usually left lying around outside. They are a very stable full size, have a quick initial lift, a good final height and have been given plenty of heavy abuse. Never leaked any oil and I still Trust them (But not as much as axle stands).
Silver M Roadster
220d Active Tourer
Landrovers 90 & 110