Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Poll: Full winter tyres vs. all-season tyres

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion

Which tyres would you choose for winter driving?

Full winter
35%
All-season
43%
None, it’s all a load of bunkum, designed to extract more money from motorists!
22%

Total votes: 49

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:19 am

I couldn’t help notice a recent proliferation of posts from members asking for advice on which tyres to choose for winter driving.
Some, like myself, advocate for full winters, while others advocate for all-season. So I thought it may be interesting to canvas opinion and poll which is the most popular choice.

I can understand why some would make the choice for an all-season tyre as it’s clearly very convenient to have a one-tyre-does-all option and let’s be honest; if you’re the type of owner who elects to swap your own summer/winter wheels you know how much of a faff it can be, plus needing storage space for 2 sets of tyres, a low profile jack, a strong back and the inclination to swap them around in the first place. So the convenience factor alone would mandate this choice perhaps.
However, I can’t help draw the same conclusion that all-season tyres are just too compromised in wintery conditions as they are during the rest of the year. They don’t perform as well as full winters on ice/snow and they don’t perform as well as summer tyres outside the winter season, so apart from convenience factor where’s the benefit/advantage?

I found an interesting vid while I was looking around the interwebs for similar discussions. One all-season tyre, the Michelin Crossclimate 2 (?) seemed to do well in the tests but it seems like an exception rather than the rule.

Unfortunately, his talking style had the ‘Michael Fish effect’ on me where, due to his monotone delivery my eyes just glazed over and I lost track of what he was saying, but somewhat interesting nonetheless.

Full winter Kumho Izen 225x50R16 utilised on a set of titchy 16” rims from a previous BMW. Not the best-handling in dry winter conditions but effective on snow/ice and supremely comfortable due to the tall profile.
6BEEBE98-1124-4477-8FC3-18A84839558F.jpeg
6BEEBE98-1124-4477-8FC3-18A84839558F.jpeg (131.83 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Last edited by Chris_D on Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:47 am

I live in the middle of England where we have about 10 days of frost a year (not nights), 150 days of rain and around 2 days of snow.

I have been driving cars pretty much every day for the last 38 years. I calculate I have driven around 450,000 miles in all parts of the UK in every weather. I have never bought, or had bought for me, any winter or all season tyres in all that time. I have never (touch wood) had an accident, or been stuck anywhere due to bad weather. I can also honestly say that I had never heard of winter or all season tyres until I started frequenting car forums. Make of that what you will.

I have read a few tyre reviews lately (an internet phenomenon) and can honestly say they are utter rubbish.

Guess what I voted!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:43 am

As Pondrew says - living in the mild midlands, i've never had winter tyres on. have got stuck a couple of times, once on my own driveway. but worst i can remember was when the beast from the east came, and left my bmw 3 series parked alone, in the middle of a field that had 4 inches of snow - somehow still managed to get out even on summer tyres.

if i was going to switch tyres for winter, id switch onto all seasons. i only need snow performance for a handful of days a year, the rest of the time its just cold. but, if it ever got really bad, i'd just work from home.

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:17 am

Pre-COVID when I was driving into work every day I switched to winter tyres from about the beginning of December to the end of Feb. Made a massive difference when there was snow/ice in the winter and everyone else was stranded and I was able to easy glide past in my Z4 (and Fiesta before that).

However, now I mostly work from home, I am not bothering with winter tyres. If its really snowy/icy one day and I have to get somewhere I will take my partner's car which has all seasons.

As far as using all seasons for the whole year goes, I wouldn't do this on my Z4. Its not because of the lack of snow/ice performance when it gets really bad, but mainly the lack of performance when the weather is warm compared to a summer tyre or road legal semi slick.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:23 am

Much the same for me as Pondrew. Never swapped tyres, but lived all my driving life in Norfolk so not only less snow, but no hills to worry about.

In have voted None, but the rest of the wording doesn't really apply. I would say 'None - never had the need to bother.'
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Nick W

Post by Nick W » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:42 am

Down here on the edge of Dartmoor, winter driving problems are usually caused by the lack of brain cells rather than tyre choice.
Silver M Roadster
220d Active Tourer
Landrovers 90 & 110

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:50 am

As already said only recently heard about winter tyres and all my driving life used just the 'normal' ones all year. Not had any real problems and only got stuck twice in very heavy snow. Living in the south of Devon we don't get much ice and hardly any snow, we did get a little last night but the roads okay. If I lived in Scotland I probably would use them however. I'm voting all season.
Last edited by MikeyH on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

NS66

Post by NS66 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:43 am

Nick W wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:42 am Down here on the edge of Dartmoor, winter driving problems are usually caused by the lack of brain cells rather than tyre choice.
absolutely spot on - at 56 yrs I remember winters that were much harder and much longer. The only difference is the volume of traffic and the incompetence of some drivers.

I remember not long after passing my test being encourage to go a drive in the snow by parents to understand how the car reacts or doesnt!!

PAC_Z4_F31_110Puma

Post by PAC_Z4_F31_110Puma » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Voted for winter tyres, but it really depends upon what situation you may encounter.

If I were to just spend my time in Suffolk then a set of all seasons fitted on the Z4 for winter would probably be just the ticket IF it was your only car and you can't afford the luxury of staying at home should the weather be exceptionally bad. The last week has certainly proved that if a journey is unavoidable and you encounter snow and hills you can be a bit screwed in the type of tyre we'll likely be fitting to our Z4's, MPS4S etc, and I think that makes all the difference rather than put finite labels on tyres, I doubt anyone would argue that an MPS4S is better or comparable to something like the Pirelli P7 Cinturato's fitted to my partners X3 in the snow, and yet they're certainly also not an 'all season'. Although I would question anyone that were to fit such an all-round type tyre on a Z4..

For me, winter tyres on one of my cars has now been the norm, often heading to the highlands, alps, or just needing to travel for work regardless of the conditions. Yes, you sacrifice the dry handling, but the estate has never been about back lane blasts and in that 1 in 99 times when having grip in bad conditions makes all the difference between destination and ditch, they're worth their weight in gold, far cheaper to have a second set than have a bump.
Horses for courses and if not your main car, I'd probably not bother. Long-winded way of saying up to the individual.
2006 E85 3.0Si - Restoring a previously unloved gem. Addressing all common faults one at a time..
F31 - rapidly approaching 200k miles & Defender 110. Glutton for mechanical punishment.
Regret the username... Peter

plenty

Post by plenty » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:56 pm

^^ what he said

If it's your only car, you like to drive hard and you have space to store and swap wheels then having a summer and winter set makes sense.

In my case I'm lucky enough to be able to have another car which I will use in lower-grip conditions in preference to the Z4. On that car I don't require high performance, so I'd might well fit all-seasons which are adequate year round, because for that car adequate is all I need.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:22 pm

I've ran summer tyres in winter, winter tyres in winter and all season tyres in winter, if your rear wheel drive BMW is your only car and you live in a rural area that only main roads get gritted, you soon learn that summer tyres in winter are not ideal in England. And in a different way, winter tyres in England are also not ideal, take this week, it will be -5C in Bristol tomorrow, Saturday temperatures are expected to be +12C and at that point your winter tyres are getting a bit soft. This is why I run all season tyres with M+S and three peaks instead of winter tyres in winter and then switch over to summer tyres in March, they are just a much better solution here.

Two things, first of all, as they say in motor racing, have the right tyre on at the right time and the second, you'll only wish you had winter/all season tyres on in winter when you can't stop in time to avoid hitting something. Just look at all the traffic accidents that occurred on Monday morning after the weekend rain and then a hard frost.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:31 pm

sars wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:22 pm This is why I run all season tyres with M+S
"These are not just all season tyres, these are Marks and Spencer's all season tyres."
Save a few more pennies, you can get Waitrose tyres next time! :poke: :rofl:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:45 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:31 pm
sars wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:22 pm This is why I run all season tyres with M+S
"These are not just all season tyres, these are Marks and Spencer's all season tyres."
Save a few more pennies, you can get Waitrose tyres next time! :poke: :rofl:
I put cheap tyres on wifey's but she came home and said she'd had a Lidl accident!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:45 pm I put cheap tyres on wifey's but she came home and said she'd had a Lidl accident!
Happens Aldi time in our household. Last time luckily Morri-sons helped her out of the ditch.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:24 pm

I save money by keeping the Z in the garage when it snows.

It's my only car so the few days a year I can't drive, like this week, things just don't get done.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White