Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door mirror glass replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 pm

Went for a drive to Tones today in the sunshine and a coffee, really pleasant. Came home, reversed onto the driveway, opened the passenger door and the mirror glass fell out when I closed it and of course broke on the drive. :headbang: They seem as difficult to find as an honest politician so I have ordered one form Euro Parts. I have looked on here for fitting instructions but I can't find any. Is it easy to do? Thank you in advance :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:45 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 pm Went for a drive to Tones today
How is old Tone? Well, I hope. :poke: :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:50 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:45 pm
MikeyH wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 pm Went for a drive to Tones today
How is old Tone? Well, I hope. :poke: :D
Bl**dy Hell, it’s the stupid iPad spell thing, should be Totnes. :thumbsup: but yes Tones is well thanks for asking :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:18 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 pm Went for a drive to Tones today in the sunshine and a coffee, really pleasant. Came home, reversed onto the driveway, opened the passenger door and the mirror glass fell out when I closed it and of course broke on the drive. :headbang: They seem as difficult to find as an honest politician so I have ordered one form Euro Parts. I have looked on here for fitting instructions but I can't find any. Is it easy to do? Thank you in advance :thumbsup:
If it was just the glass that fell out then it is simply a case of gluing the new one back on. Both mine have at different times become loose, wobbly and ready to part company so I carefully pulled them off and re-glued them. The mirrors are constantly heated and over time this must take its toll on the adhesive. I used a thin layer of JB Weld RTV Silicone as it's very grippy, flexible and less likely to dry out in the long run. The glasses heat up fine and they have been solid for 3 or 4 years now :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:04 pm

Thank you patriot66, unfortunately the glass fell on the driveway and broke into several pieces :headbang:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:27 am

MikeyH wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:04 pm Thank you patriot66, unfortunately the glass fell on the driveway and broke into several pieces :headbang:
I was meaning to re-glue it if you got a replacement mirror glass. However, just had a quick look at the many available on Amazon and they all appear to come with plastic backing/mounting plate attached and clip directly onto the gimbal in the mirror case :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:35 am

That is the problem, how on earth does that backing bit come out. I can only find tutorials on sticking the mirror back on. I’ve ordered one with the backing as that’s all there is. Would it make sense to remove the backing from the new mirror to glue it on do you think?

Griffo46

Post by Griffo46 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:38 am

I watched this and helped me!
https://youtu.be/re0LJCtk2kU
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:03 am

Thank you Griffo46, excellent video. Did you have to cut those 2 wires and if so what happened? Do you think they are for the heater?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:36 pm

Use plastic trim removal tools when removing the mirror/shroud.
The other set of wires will be for the auto-dimming feature if your car has it. Check option against vin number if so.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:57 pm

Thank you Chris_D, it’s only a 2.2 se so I doubt it will. Also my wife gets upset that the car’s lights behind glare. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:29 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:57 pm Thank you Chris_D, it’s only a 2.2 se so I doubt it will. Also my wife gets upset that the car’s lights behind glare. :thumbsup:
bigwinn told me how to spot the autodim glass.
If your mirror is a plain glass edge then it'll just be heated. If it has a rubber seal around it's edge then it'll be autodim and there'll be two pairs of wires connecting to it.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:55 pm

Thank you enuff_zed and bigwinn, it is just a glass edge. :thumbsup: On the video that griffo46 sent me the mirror had a rubber surround and I thought that's a bit odd. Shame as the owner didn't realise and chopped them off. :thumbsdown: I've got one on order, next day delivery so it'll be here after Christmas probably :evil:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:27 pm

Of course your other (slight overkill) option is to swap out the whole mirror and just fit your correct colour casing on it.
Sounds daft but it may be a more solid result?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:27 pm Of course your other (slight overkill) option is to swap out the whole mirror and just fit your correct colour casing on it.
Sounds daft but it may be a more solid result?
That sounds like a big job to me, probably above my skill level :rofl: