Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0i M54 Rough idle then cuts out

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:54 pm

Well I finally got time to look further into this issue.
Fitted another throttle body, checked all the connections and hoses, cleaned the ICV again just to be sure.
Put it all back together, did a full reset of adaptations, and exactly the same problem.
Today's codes are:
2830 DME self-test: checksum
2796 Throttle: adaptation values incorrect
28B2 Speed limitation: reset

Then, within the DSC side of things I have the warning light on and these codes:
5E18 CAN data fault from DME/DDE
5E19 CAN data fault from DME/DDE(DSC lamp on as long as error is present)

I still have the situation where if I do a fault reset with the engine running then it settles perfectly for about 10 seconds and I have full throttle control.
Then it dies again. So that seems like it is running on some kind of default setting while the systems do a self test.
Again, disconnecting the MAF makes no difference.

bigwinn is popping over next week and we're hoping he can reflash the DME, but who knows.

Any other suggestions?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

spazmochad

Post by spazmochad » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:54 pm Well I finally got time to look further into this issue.
Fitted another throttle body, checked all the connections and hoses, cleaned the ICV again just to be sure.
Put it all back together, did a full reset of adaptations, and exactly the same problem.
Today's codes are:

Then, within the DSC side of things I have the warning light on and these codes:

I still have the situation where if I do a fault reset with the engine running then it settles perfectly for about 10 seconds and I have full throttle control.
Then it dies again. So that seems like it is running on some kind of default setting while the systems do a self test.

bigwinn is popping over next week and we're hoping he can reflash the DME, but who knows.

Any other suggestions?
Don't rule out the alternator - I've just replied in your other thread about the DME updates before noticing your thread here. I had very similar issues which after replacing a lot of stuff, turned out to be the alternator. Having checked the voltage output was correct when the stalls originally began happening and since I had replaced the regulator already a few years ago, I originally ruled it out.

Only came to replace it since the bearings were noisy, which was driving me nuts trying to diagnose the engine stalling issue.

I should mention I also replaced the oil level sensor at the same time since it was bad and had heard those can cause CAN bus issues on an E46.

After that the stalling stopped. I think I went through about 3 different replacement alternator vendors before I finally found a good refurbished Bosch unit from a Bosch factory with the correct seals and tag.

Stuff to bear in mind :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:17 pm

spazmochad wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:11 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:54 pm Well I finally got time to look further into this issue.
Today's codes are:

Any other suggestions?
Don't rule out the alternator - I've just replied in your other thread about the DME updates before noticing your thread here. I had very similar issues which after replacing a lot of stuff, turned out to be the alternator. Having checked the voltage output was correct when the stalls originally began happening and since I had replaced the regulator already a few years ago, I originally ruled it out.

Only came to replace it since the bearings were noisy, which was driving me nuts trying to diagnose the engine stalling issue.

I should mention I also replaced the oil level sensor at the same time since it was bad and had heard those can cause CAN bus issues on an E46.

After that the stalling stopped. I think I went through about 3 different replacement alternator vendors before I finally found a good refurbished Bosch unit from a Bosch factory with the correct seals and tag.

Wow, that's a bit left of field. Would never have considered that. :thumbsup:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:04 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:17 pm
spazmochad wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:11 pm
Today's codes are:

Any other suggestions?

I can bring an alternator on Wednesday bud?

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:06 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:04 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:17 pm
spazmochad wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:11 pm Don't rule out the alternator - I've just replied in your other thread about the DME updates before noticing your thread here. I had very similar issues which after replacing a lot of stuff, turned out to be the alternator. Having checked the voltage output was correct when the stalls originally began happening and since I had replaced the regulator already a few years ago, I originally ruled it out.

I can bring an alternator on Wednesday bud?
I'll try to get some voltage output readings off it to be sure.
I'll let you know, cheers.

However, it has gone through 100s of start cycles over the last few days and the battery seems quite happy.............

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:51 pm

it's the ccv diaphragm. am tellin ye.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:02 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:51 pm it's the ccv diaphragm. am tellin ye.
So why does it run perfectly when you reset it? Sounds much more electrical and less basic physics to me?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:42 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:02 pm
So why does it run perfectly when you reset it? Sounds much more electrical and less basic physics to me?
Idk. Maybe like how my knackered throttlebody would work fine when you reset it. Then on the next startup it would go kerplup and die.

Dont forget that a lot of components work fine outside of operational parameters/limits set by the dme.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:48 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:42 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:02 pm
Idk. Maybe like how my knackered throttlebody would work fine when you reset it. Then on the next startup it would go kerplup and die.

Dont forget that a lot of components work fine outside of operational parameters/limits set by the dme.
Worth a look at least

Rix

Post by Rix » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:02 pm

How did the reflash go? Any joy?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:03 pm

Rix wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:02 pm How did the reflash go? Any joy?
Still only Monday in Norfolk mate! :poke:
I did say we're doing it Wednesday (or maybe Saturday to you :D :D )

Rix

Post by Rix » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:15 am

Duh, ignore me!! Fingers crossed....

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:31 pm

Martin/Stuart et al. I really enjoy reading the posts. I just wish I understood what they were all about, especially all those acronyms. I hope Wednesday is a better day weather wise than today and that all goes well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:39 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:31 pm Martin/Stuart et al. I really enjoy reading the posts. I just wish I understood what they were all about, especially all those acronyms. I hope Wednesday is a better day weather wise than today and that all goes well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Cheers.
Acronym is easy. DME is the ECU for the engine. :roll:

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:52 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:39 pm
IRD wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:31 pm Martin/Stuart et al. I really enjoy reading the posts. I just wish I understood what they were all about, especially all those acronyms. I hope Wednesday is a better day weather wise than today and that all goes well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Cheers.
Acronym is easy. DME is the ECU for the engine. :roll:
Thanks Martin. Every day is a school day. Joking apart. It is impressive to see the range of knowledge and expertise available on the Forum. Imagine what the cost would be if you had seek help from a main dealer.