Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie help needed :)

First port of call for new members
FrancescoVernava

Post by FrancescoVernava » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:53 pm

Hi guys

looking at getting myself an '03 3.0. i've had a quick look through the common faults page etc, and this one has been fastidiously maintained. only issue i can forsee with it is it has been standing for about 11 months. the owner bought a 997 and then hasn't got any use out of the Z. He will MOT & service before i would have, will there be any issues with it having stood for so long?

Also, it's obviously a near 20 y/o car. i think it has around 91k on the clock. Should i look out for anything in particular, and should i be terrified of annual/regular maintenance bills that will appear with a BMW of this age?

Cheers :D

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:14 pm

Not at all- if you are handy at all with spanners or use the network on here you can enjoy these cars for not a lot of £££

A car that has been sat for a while may need tyres and brakes looking at, the basic service will address the fluids that may have degraded

Where is it located you may be able to take someone with you to cast a critical eye?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:29 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

bigwinnn has pretty much covered it all!

Depending how it has been stored the battery may be tired - BMWs of this age can throw up random warning lights when the battery is on its way out.

Hope it goes well. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:29 pm

Don't be terrified, as 20 year old sports cars go, the Z4 is very reliable.

Welcome aboard. :)

FrancescoVernava

Post by FrancescoVernava » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:59 am

Cheers guys. I haven't done much of my own car work (I've had more modern stuff until now) but I would like to get stuck in. The tyres are in good nick, and I'll.keep an eye on the battery!

Going to.go.to.somerset to see it in the next week or two :) just got to sell.my V40 first!