Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2016 z4 condensation

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Zforbes

2016 z4 condensation

Post by Zforbes » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:13 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 pm Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford
So you agree with me then :?

Using the Aircon to quickly demist works but turning this off creates the moisture that is not evaporated back into the cabin.
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

RobbiZ4

2016 z4 condensation

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:15 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 pm It should then drain away to ground via the drain tube/ pipe when enough water is produced.
Correct.
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Zforbes

2016 z4 condensation

Post by Zforbes » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:16 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 pm
Zforbes wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:04 pm Using the Aircon to demist generally creates excess moisture,
Sorry but this is incorrect.
The a/c will de-humidify, as long as the drain from the evaporator is not blocked and the water can get away.

Moisture vapour held in the air of the car condenses on the evaporator coil with the a/c running (sited next to the heater coil/ matrix in the fan housing).
It should then drain away to ground via the drain tube/ pipe when enough water is produced.
The only time it can be a problem is when the a/c is turned off with the evaporator covered in condensation. The evaporator will then warm and the fan will blow back the moisture as a vapour into the cabin. Then it will condense back into water within the car wherever the dew points are, generally windscreen and windows.

The secret is to NEVER switch off the a/c whilst the fan is operating if using for demisting. Keep the a/c on until you switch off the car/ blower fan. If you do all you will do is fire the moisture back all in one go, so seemingly creating more moisture.

If there is excess moisture inside the car either you have a leak coming from outside, or the a/c is draining water back into the cabin.
Sorry, wrong post, quoted
Zforbes wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:13 pm
Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 pm Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford
So you agree with me then :?

Using the Aircon to quickly demist works but turning this off creates the moisture that is not evaporated back into the cabin.
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Jasonn

2016 z4 condensation

Post by Jasonn » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:31 pm

I have found that even leaving one of the windows open (even a tiny bit) after rain can let a bit of water from the gutter at the junction where the roof folds. I never noticed it until i drove off after a rainstorm and thought the roof was dry-ish. I was surprised how much got in.

I also had condensation from an umbrella which was tucked behind the seat.

I hope you've got a similar simple solution

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

2016 z4 condensation

Post by ronk » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:46 pm

I had a heated screen in my Discovery and it was a joy in the frosty mornings!

Land Rover got the Heated Screen and Ford got Hill Decent out of the deal.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

2016 z4 condensation

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 am

I think Aston Martins had then when they were owned by Ford.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Marcoose

2016 z4 condensation

Post by Marcoose » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:32 am

The cabin is often foggy when wifey is in the car. I don’t complain, though.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

SwissTone

2016 z4 condensation

Post by SwissTone » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:52 am

Either the Patent date run out or Ford allowed others to use the tech, VW group use this tech on certain vehicles in their family range.
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

2016 z4 condensation

Post by flybobbie » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:14 am

Yes what's with stupid design, slightest rain, crack open drivers window on water pours onto window switches.
I could never understand having window switches in the arm rest.
Far more convenient having buttons on the centre near gear lever.

Jasonn

2016 z4 condensation

Post by Jasonn » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:12 pm

Yep the tickle stopped all the window electrics working (mirrors too).

I ended up inside the fuse box looking to see if anything had blown (hadn't but it was a crap way to spend 45 minutes doing weird yoga) reached the conclusion that the door card would have to come off so ordered clips and trim tools as well as pricing up a new switch - £185)!

When the tools and clips turned up it was dry and sunny and everything worked... Still now I've got new trim tools and I've learned not to open the window after rain until I've stopped on an incline.

It's cheaper for manufacturers to use the centre console too as the complexity of the wiring is reduced, less risk of mechanical damage (no flexing at the hinge) and no left/right hand drive options for the different markets... Still we haven't got degrees in marketing, we're just enthusiasts who like to tinker with our cars

craigdm

2016 z4 condensation

Post by craigdm » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:48 pm

I would never even consider turning off the A/C whatever the weather.

The system is more reliable if it's constantly on. Turning it off will just lead to maintenance and repair issues.
Z3 rare 2L Straight 6. Should have kept it!
E85 3.0Si sold back in 2014. Should have kept it!
E89 20i just arrived 2021

Jasonn

2016 z4 condensation

Post by Jasonn » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:25 pm

I think it's just luck of the draw, my wife keeps the aircon on all the time in her cars, the RAV4 lasted 18 years and no top up, the x3 has been topped up twice and a new compressor.

I rarely used the a/c in my MGZT, no problems in 60k miles (before the engine genaded itself) and the Zed only gets used for 10 minutes per drive just to keep it circulating

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

2016 z4 condensation

Post by Pondrew » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:38 pm

craigdm wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:48 pm The system is more reliable if it's constantly on. Turning it off will just lead to maintenance and repair issues.
That's not correct either. Not using a mechanical system is not going to cause it to break.

The ONLY problem that can occur from lack of use of a car a/c system is refrigerant leaking from the neoprene seal(s) on the drive shaft of the compressor. They require lubricating to maintain the seal. They are lubricated when the compressor is operating. Lack of use, generally considered a month or more, the seals will dry out and leak.
They can reseal once lubricated, hence why so many people have their a/c 're-gassed' or 'topped up' without finding any leaks.

The a/c system in a car needs no maintenance, there are no serviceable parts (despite many garages offering the service). The system is sealed so will never need refrigerant adding unless it has leaked from somewhere.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

2016 z4 condensation

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Pondrew, It never ceases to honestly amaze me how much you know about so many things :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

2016 z4 condensation

Post by ronk » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:32 pm

In my 335 the air con is never switched off and the system in the Z is always on when the roof is on.

It’s maybe not the most fuel effective way but misting windows have never bothered me and touch wood nor have dried / leaking seals (Thats probably the kiss o death)
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: