Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Braking Loss - Fluid ok?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Citizen-Erased

Braking Loss - Fluid ok?

Post by Citizen-Erased » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi all,

I had a scary moment last weekend driving home from work. The "brake pad" yellow light lit up mid journey without any obvious cause as the brakes are still good all round. I figured they may have got low enough to trigger the sensor. I parked the car to get fuel and noticed there was a "clicking" noise coming from under the car somewhere, like a hot exhaust noise and a bit of a smell of "something".

I was only a short distance from home at 3am so decided to drive, but instantly I had no brakes at all. Pumping them etc. got me a little bit of pressure but stopping at anything above 30 would now be impossible.

Ive checked the fluid, its level with the filter at the top of the resv. This says to me an air pocket somewhere but that wouldnt explain the smell?

To top it off, the battery is now completly and utterly flat too. I did wonder if the braking could be an electronics issue as I can see no obvious fluid loss, but not sure that would explain the smell?

Car has had an MOT about 2 weeks ago and no issue highlighted with the brake pipes or hoses, same for pads and discs which are in good condition.

IS there any common fault im missing?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Braking Loss - Fluid ok?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:39 pm

I’m not sure what the issue is here but i wouldn’t be driving that car again until i 100% found out!
Master cylinder issue maybe?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Citizen-Erased

Braking Loss - Fluid ok?

Post by Citizen-Erased » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:52 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:39 pm I’m not sure what the issue is here but i wouldn’t be driving that car again until i 100% found out!
Master cylinder issue maybe?
Rob
Possibly, havent had chance in daylight to have a proper look down that area, will be doing so in the morning. Will need to charge the battery before I check the error coding too. Eitherway, it wont be moving.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Braking Loss - Fluid ok?

Post by pvr » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:06 pm

That reservoir is shared with the clutch so you may be looking at the clutch level looking full but the brake part of the reservoir being empty.

I spent half a day bleeding a brake system which had no fluid in it as the reservoir looked full. Clutch part was …
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo