Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remove instrument panel surround

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 pm

I can remove the instrument panel easy enough, just remove two screws and it’s out. But I need to also remove the black/grey plastic cowl that goes over and around the instrument cluster - but I can’t seem to budge it.

Anyone have any pointers please?

Many thanks.
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 pm

I did this some time ago when changed the LEDS and gauge faces in the instrument cluster but I can't remember now exactly how I did. But It was easy enough, there are some videos on YouTube for the E90 (it's practically the same). I will see if I can find them later and post them here if I do.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:47 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 pm I did this some time ago when changed the LEDS and gauge faces in the instrument cluster but I can't remember now exactly how I did. But It was easy enough, there are some videos on YouTube for the E90 (it's practically the same). I will see if I can find them later and post them here if I do.
Thanks much appreciated. I can’t find anything beyond simply removing the cluster (that’s easy - 2 screws!)
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:21 pm

I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBOR-f6058s

It doesn't quite show how to remove the cowling from the panel but around 5min 20 seconds in you can see the back of the cowling and there are some tabs going around it which clip on to the instrument panel which you basically need to carefully prise off. I don't remember there being any screws in addition to those tabs but it's worth looking to make sure there aren't any before unclipping the cowling.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:31 am

Thanks for the info - I think I have not described what I need very well … I’m after removing the black plastic surround that is left on the dashboard when you take out the instrument cluster. I have seen images of it separate from the rest of the dash but it’s not obvious how one might remove it (perhaps it’s not possible but just asking in case someone managed it)

Thanks again for your help though.
---
Christopher