Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2 months in a Cayman

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:54 am

Well there's no doubt these things handle like nothing else at the price point and theyre a very pretty car, intoxicating engine noise right behind your head when giving it some and a general feeling of overall quality....but there's a but! It just feels like a tiny car to me,the cabin is a bit tight and its feels like im in a mini car..its not much smaller than the e89 overall as far as dimesions go but the e89 cabin felt more spacious and refined and looking out over the long bonnet gave the impression you were in a car that was substantial.

2 months and 1200 miles isn't a lot but I'm getting the feeling thats the itch scratched and time to try something else, doesn't feel like its the right long term car for me, there are days I drive it and it just brings out the hooligan and I sometimes think its going to get me into a bit of bother with the boys in blue :o :?

I'm looking at a lot of F types on autotrader at the minute and the sl350 is in my mind again, the first one I drove wasn't appealing in terms of handling but I had a chance to jump in the AMG sport package model a few weeks ago and it was much improved, not sure whether to give the Cayman a bit more time or move on, Its an absolutely wonderful car..Im just not 100% sure its the right car for me :cry: :D :D

Anyway thats my first world problem for the day vented :D
Attachments
Porker.jpg
Porker.jpg (153.65 KiB) Viewed 663 times
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

2 months in a Cayman

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:44 pm

Always interesting when people give their candid views..out of interest are you 'well nourished' or is the cabin just smaller?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Special Kay

2 months in a Cayman

Post by Special Kay » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:48 pm

Wow I wish I had your problems just for one day. Out of the cars you've mentioned, the Porsche tops the list every single time for me personally. It's a timeless design/shape that will always grow old with sophistication and grace. The SL or the F type simply don't have the X factor, the presence, or the pedigree. You've bought a slice of history, yes it has querk's but it's a supermodel not a housewife. Keep the Porsche :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:49 pm

How about a nice Corvette? I've heard they are quite good! :poke: :D

There was someone on here a couple of months ago looking to get one, then bought an old Porker instead. Oh hang on.............. :P
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by hopz121 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:51 pm

It is a small cabin but has great practicality for what the car is.

Its good to scratch the itch, i think you'll miss it when its gone though, if you sell it i'd possibly be interested in it depending on spec and price.

It depends what you want out of a car i guess, the Cayman is a proper sports car the F Type & SL are more of a sports cruiser with more cabin space and more creature comforts etc.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by tomscott » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 pm

They are great cars but I found the Boxster and Cayman a bit dull. They handle like no tomorrow and do everything right and that for me is the issue. My dad has a 981 Boxster GTS and its lovely its quick, cruises, sounds great but just too predictable and doesn't surge like the M cars do. He also has a 991 Carrera S and I would take that all day long over the two.

Out of all of them the 997 Carrera S was my fav so rewarding to drive and had that murderous character the Z4M has. Did a 3000 mile road trip through Europe hitting the key roads and just had a blast.

I like the fact the M is much more of a hooligan.

The SL is like a fast barge in any guise and the F type is similar but I quite like them. Complete chalk and cheese compared to the box/cay platform but worth ticking off the list :thumbsup:

3.0Rich

2 months in a Cayman

Post by 3.0Rich » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:27 pm

I can't stop wanting another one but I know the seats are tight on me, actually got side pains driving it home.
My price range is 05/06/07 and all of those have too many very expensive, potential, issues.
I won't change my beautiful Z for a Boxster S because I know I would regret it, it's just the yearning for one in the back of my mind won't disappear.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:04 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:44 pm Always interesting when people give their candid views..out of interest are you 'well nourished' or is the cabin just smaller?
Ha ha, 6.0ft 12 stone..regular gym goer, I'm pretty streamlined although do carry a bit of mid life timber round the middle :D the cabin is in all honesty fine for most folk I'm sure, its just Im used to the more spacious e89

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:06 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:49 pm How about a nice Corvette? I've heard they are quite good! :poke: :D

There was someone on here a couple of months ago looking to get one, then bought an old Porker instead. Oh hang on.............. :P
Haha..I've gone off that idea for the meantime, think I'd be in exactly the same place as I am now..good job I didn't let some well to do forumite talk me into it :poke: :poke: :D :D

pvr
Legend
Legend

2 months in a Cayman

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:22 pm

Upgrade to a 911? Much bigger inside with the 4 seats and you can actually recline the backrest properly unlike in the Cayman which I sat in a few weeks back which has a box right behind the seats.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:27 pm

hopz121 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:51 pm It is a small cabin but has great practicality for what the car is.

Its good to scratch the itch, i think you'll miss it when its gone though, if you sell it i'd possibly be interested in it depending on spec and price.

It depends what you want out of a car i guess, the Cayman is a proper sports car the F Type & SL are more of a sports cruiser with more cabin space and more creature comforts etc.
Youre right about it being a proper sports car and the sl being a bit more gt but from what I read about the Jag is actually rated as pretty accomplished as a sports car..need to get out and test drive one.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

2 months in a Cayman

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:28 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:04 pm
B21 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:44 pm Always interesting when people give their candid views..out of interest are you 'well nourished' or is the cabin just smaller?
Ha ha, 6.0ft 12 stone..regular gym goer, I'm pretty streamlined although do carry a bit of mid life timber round the middle :D the cabin is in all honesty fine for most folk I'm sure, its just Im used to the more spacious e89
Noted.. :thumbsup: :rofl:

With my teletubby physique I’d better scratch the Cayman of my next car list :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Ed Doe

2 months in a Cayman

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:43 pm

tomscott wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 pm I like the fact the M is much more of a hooligan.
Intersting this - ties in with the other thread on the pistonheads article - plenty of us only too aware of the Ms dynamic shortcomings and yet find it exciting and rewarding precisely becuase it's not as 'polished and competent' as the comparable cayman. Funny really - seems to ring true with a lot of things, I found it when I moved from an old Peugeot 306 gti6 to a Renaultsport Megane R26 - the Megane would absolutely decimate the 306 on track and the 306 wouldn't see which way the Megane had gone on a backroad either - but the 306 felt so much more entertaining to drive by comparison to the Megan which felt a little aloof.

Anyway funny old thing really, hope you find yourself happier and more settled in the next car Mr Tourettes - the F-type and SL are vastly different cars to the Cayman - big heavy gt cars vs the Cayman being a more traditional compact light and nimble sports car. Make sure to test drive plenty before taking the plunge, so you can be certain of your decision when the time comes!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:33 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:43 pm
tomscott wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 pm I like the fact the M is much more of a hooligan.
Intersting this - ties in with the other thread on the pistonheads article - plenty of us only too aware of the Ms dynamic shortcomings and yet find it exciting and rewarding precisely becuase it's not as 'polished and competent' as the comparable cayman. Funny really - seems to ring true with a lot of things, I found it when I moved from an old Peugeot 306 gti6 to a Renaultsport Megane R26 - the Megane would absolutely decimate the 306 on track and the 306 wouldn't see which way the Megane had gone on a backroad either - but the 306 felt so much more entertaining to drive by comparison to the Megan which felt a little aloof.

Anyway funny old thing really, hope you find yourself happier and more settled in the next car Mr Tourettes - the F-type and SL are vastly different cars to the Cayman - big heavy gt cars vs the Cayman being a more traditional compact light and nimble sports car. Make sure to test drive plenty before taking the plunge, so you can be certain of your decision when the time comes!
Thanks Ed, I'm not sure if folk have the right end of the F Type though, been reading and watching video reviews a lot and most seem to think its a pretty accomplished sports car, I think it may possibly sit in between the Cayman and SL..a sporty GT if you will whereas the sl is definitely GT, I have to admit to being a closet merc fan and the amg sport version of the sl is a rather nice looking thing..Ive been chatting with a chap about this one, something tells mee it may be a bit more suited to my use than I'd like to admit, my hooligan days should really be over by now :D
Attachments
sl350 (3).jpg
sl350 (3).jpg (229.79 KiB) Viewed 577 times

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

2 months in a Cayman

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:42 pm

Special Kay wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:48 pm Wow I wish I had your problems just for one day. Out of the cars you've mentioned, the Porsche tops the list every single time for me personally. It's a timeless design/shape that will always grow old with sophistication and grace. The SL or the F type simply don't have the X factor, the presence, or the pedigree. You've bought a slice of history, yes it has querk's but it's a supermodel not a housewife. Keep the Porsche :thumbsup:
Interesting comments there buddy, you're right its a very pretty car and I do feel very lucky to be able to own it and it is very much a first world problem, I wanted to love this car and for it to do everything, but its undoubtedly a single minded sports car and perfect on my solo driving jaunts...not so good when i want to take the missus out anywhere tho as she is not a fan, also I think I'm going to miss my top down motoring come spring next year :thumbsup: