Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jas- USA

Roof problem

Post by Jas- USA » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:04 pm

Henry

Look, until you're ready, you can still enjoy your car, you'll just have to manually move the top up/down. It's honestly no big deal. I know that you already spent a lot of money buying the new motor thinking it would fix your problem. You should be able to sell your old motor on your France Ebay and get back some of your money.

Yes, it's the piston rings, in the lifters. Maybe one is totally gone and the other good or there both partially gone. You just can't tell. Sometimes it's much simpler when one starts leaking fluid. However, you always replace both when the top is off.

1st, I'm hoping that another poster from either the EU/UK who reads this and is aware of a vender in either the EU/UK who rebuilds Auto hinger lifters posts the name and contact info for that vender.

Here is one of the two venders in the USA that re-builds hinge lifters https://www.tophydraulics.com/bmw/610-bmw-z4.html

I read the info from this page. I believe that if you send them your old hinge lifters (both) they will rebuild them for $495.00 USD. I do not know if this amount includes return shipping. I also do not know if they charge your VAT, yet, they may have to in order to clear your customs.

You're going to need to call them and confirm all of this, meaning you'll need someone who speaks English calling on your behalf. Remember this business is located in the Pacific time zone of the USA which might be maybe 9 hours difference than France...

Henry if you need the other business I'll get it for you. However, there website notes that you have to call (phone) for the prices of their service.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:14 pm

Jas- USA, that is exceptionally helpful and probably the only conclusion left.
I believe this is a rare fault in fact.
Whilst I realise it still means dismantling stuff, henry974, you also have to option of sourcing a used pair of lifters (more commonly referred to as rams in the UK, if that helps your search)
You could fit these to see if it cures your problem, and then look into refurbishing your originals at a later date.
Pretty sure these are not an item that differs depending on LHD or RHD, and the UK has a thriving community who break these cars for spares.
Notwithstanding the work it will mean for you, I recommend putting a 'wanted' ad on here to see if you can find any rams.
bigwinn, Umfaan, Street, any of you chaps got spare roof rams?
Last edited by enuff_zed on Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by bigwinn » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:20 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:14 pm Jas- USA, that is exceptionally helpful and probably the only conclusion left.
I believe this is a rare fault in fact.
Whilst I realise it still means dismantling stuff, henry974, you also have to option of sourcing a used pair of lifters (more commonly referred to as rams in the UK, if that helps your search)
You could fit these to see if it cures your problem, and then look into refurbishing your originals at a later date.
Pretty sure these are not an item that differs depending on LHD or RHD, and the UK has a thriving community who break these cars for spares.
Notwithstanding the work it will mean for you, I recommend putting a 'wanted' add on here to see if you can find any rams.
bigwinn, Umfaan, Street, any of you chaps got spare roof rams?
Sadly no not at the moment
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Street

Roof problem

Post by Street » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:56 pm

I have a full working roof from a facelift e85 in excellent condition. £450. I can help swap out if you’re around the north east some time.

Alternatively, (no connection to me) I did spy a dead roof near me that you could salvage for parts. If you want to try and piece a solution together you could ask them to strip and send the rams to you: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 144164213/
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Why have 1 when you could have 2!!

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:03 pm

Street wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:56 pm I have a full working roof from a facelift e85 in excellent condition. £450. I can help swap out if you’re around the north east some time.

Alternatively, (no connection to me) I did spy a dead roof near me that you could salvage for parts. If you want to try and piece a solution together you could ask them to strip and send the rams to you: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 144164213/
He's over La Manche sadly
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Jas- USA

Roof problem

Post by Jas- USA » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 am

Henry, I agree with enuff-zed

A used set of hinges might be best for you. In that, I realized you don't have a garage, this might be your only car. The turnaround on shipping the hinges out for repair might be 3/4 weeks. There could be long delays in Customs and all the while you were waiting you might be without a drivable car. Should you decide to do this repair a used set of hinges should work.

henry974

Roof problem

Post by henry974 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:34 am

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. :thumbsup:
I'll head over to top hydraulic to change my lifters; That way the problem will be solved once and for all.
If I understand correctly, I have to send them my lifters so that they can rebuild them since I don't live in the USA.
I know it will take time but I have no choice. :(
I'll ask them for a quote and let you know.