Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any interesting things you found with your Zed for new owners?

Discussing the current generation Z4
BigDave

Post by BigDave » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:59 pm

Thats the first thing i did when i got my Z4.....Turned off the lane departure... :driving:

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:41 pm

What were BMW thinking, fancy having a system that relies on the driver using their indicators before maneuvering :poke:

Turned mine off too :D
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Russ Z4

Post by Russ Z4 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:28 am

Bizarrely, I find that the auto seat adjustment wont do the full end to end movement between positions 1 and 2 whilst driving... you have to keep pressing the button to get in between all the axis adjustments. If you do it at standstill and out of gear, it will do it in 1. Also, found out that the mirror retraction will not work at speed (unlike on my 1 series).

Presumably people know about the simultaneous pull on the flappy paddles?.. and holding down the left to put it into the lowest possible gear without redlining, so you are in the best gear to accelerate hard?

Russ Z4

Post by Russ Z4 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:30 am

Also, I found out that you can change the brightness of the boot light...

...by fitting a better LED one.

ori

Post by ori » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:19 am

Russ Z4 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:28 am Bizarrely, I find that the auto seat adjustment wont do the full end to end movement between positions 1 and 2 whilst driving... you have to keep pressing the button to get in between all the axis adjustments. If you do it at standstill and out of gear, it will do it in 1. Also, found out that the mirror retraction will not work at speed (unlike on my 1 series).

Presumably people know about the simultaneous pull on the flappy paddles?.. and holding down the left to put it into the lowest possible gear without redlining, so you are in the best gear to accelerate hard?
Tell me about this flappy paddle thing? Pull on both at same time does what? Pulling on left one drops down one gear no?

Russ Z4

Post by Russ Z4 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:02 pm

Pulling both paddles puts it into the gear that the auto box would choose in fully auto mode.

Pull and hold left drops it down to the lowest gear without redlining.

And then obviously left and right short pulls do down and up gears.

(Remembering that pushing the gear stick to the left puts it into full manual (although protection is still there to stop you putting it into a gear that would over rev the engine (goes without saying that if you are already in a gear and accelerate it will bounce off the limiter if you dont change up - and likewise it wont allow you to change to a gear that would stall the engine))

Sgreen

Post by Sgreen » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:59 pm

Russ Z4 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:02 pm Pulling both paddles puts it into the gear that the auto box would choose in fully auto mode.

(Remembering that pushing the gear stick to the left puts it into full manual (although protection is still there to stop you putting it into a gear that would over rev the engine (goes without saying that if you are already in a gear and accelerate it will bounce off the limiter if you dont change up - and likewise it wont allow you to change to a gear that would stall the engine))
Thank for this really useful tip
Supra twin turbo, great in a straight, rubbish around twistys
NSX, pretty cool but no heated seats and can't get top down
Z4 23i sdrive, now gone, got the wrong car, need more power.
Z4 35is loved and missed
Z4 M40i one word sums it up Wow!

F1SpaceMonkey

Post by F1SpaceMonkey » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:22 am

Russ Z4 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:02 pm Pulling both paddles puts it into the gear that the auto box would choose in fully auto mode.

Not sure that's 100% true - or i have misunderstood. VW's right paddle on DSG cars had a "+" sign and and "off" written on it. Audi DSG didn't. But my last 2 BMWs were the same as VW, in that if you shifted up or down placing the gearbox in manual, holding the right paddle down put the gears back to where the auto would normal be....or "off". My Z4 M40i does this....so if shifting with the paddles and i want to go back to full auto, just press and hold the right paddle for 2-3 seconds.

baljemmett

Post by baljemmett » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:34 am

Both work on the BMW according to the handbook - either holding the right paddle "until D appears in the instrument cluster" or pulling both of them to do it immediately. It doesn't say so explicitly but the same logic appears to apply for returning to S from full-time manual if the selector is in the M/S position rather than D. It also mentions ("with appropriate transmission variants") that a pull on the left paddle during kickdown will put it into the lowest possible gear, just like holding the left paddle will.